Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Training Cirricula

Say you are preparing a one-day seminar on a text-based programming language. C++, Perl, C, Java ... take your pick.

How do you organize it / what do you teach / do you use power point?

Right now, I'm leaning toward a series of 8 "Blocks" (perhaps 4?) where I:

- Explain the Concept
- Create a demo app
- Give an assignment out
- Let the students code with my help.

Moving forward from:

- Scalars (Strings & Integers)
  - Vectors (Hashes and Arrays)
  - Control Structures (Looping)
  - Must Haves (Cool Libraries and tricks)
  - File Manipulation
  - Regular Expressions (OK, OK, it's Perl)
  - Functions
  - ? Database Access?

We keep going all day.  If we run late, I cut the sections off the end.  If we run early, I have a couplea extra sections prepared.  At the end, students get a packet with details of the language.

Audience is near-programmers (batch files, macro "programs", simple awk apps, an understanding of  looping, variables and functions) who want to move from my "helping" them to being truely self-sufficient.

Comments?  Other ideas?  Things I forgot to mention?  (How complex should my problems get?  10 LOC per problem?  20 to 50 LOC by the end of the day?  Or would that take too long?)

Does anyone have experience with this kind of corporate training?  I couldn't find any good cirricula on google ...

regards,

Matt H.
Wednesday, August 21, 2002

No one else took the bait, so I guess I will.

How much language training could you hope to teach in a single day?  C++ or French, one day is not going to make it.

But if people are going to pay you money, then I guess you should take it.

Your agenda looks as good as can be done.  A good introductory book like Accelerated C++ by Koenig and Moo
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/020170353X/qid%3D1029969346/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/002-5495815-5627207 might help.

Good luck.

A. Coward

>How much language training could
>you hope to teach in a single day?

The people I am teaching allready have an understanding of programming theory.  Anybody with a background in C, BASIC, awk, or Sed can can going on perl pretty easily.  (That's a paraphrase from Tom Christiansen, I think. :-)

Randal Swartz (I think) said that one of the best things about Perl is that it's ok to be a newbie and no one will look down on you.  Get perl to do what you need it to do, and pick up more as time goes on.

That's kinda the idea for the class - "here's what perl is, here's what it can do - here's where to go when you get stuck." 

Hopefully, it will be step toward independence for some of my students. :-)

Thanks for the comments.  I'll look at the format of the accellerated text.  I only posted a couplea hours ago, so I'm hoping for more replies soon ...

Matt H.

Well, since the Llama Book was written and refined after years of teaching perl, why not use it as an outline?  Just skip the lame jokes in the fotters.

Nick Hebb

! fotters = footers

Nick Hebb

I haven't written curricula, but customize your examples to match the domain that the students are interested in. Prefer HTML to powerpoint. I like e.g. these online tutorials:

http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/ACE_wrappers/docs/tutorials/online-tutorials.html

http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/PDF/OONP-tutorial4.pdf

Christopher Wells
Wednesday, August 28, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home