Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Eclipse IDE - anyone?

Is anyone using the Eclipse IDE in a serious project? Is it mature enough to be used for the regular software development? I'm particularly (but not only) interested in comments on this IDE running on the QNX 6.2 (aka Momentics) platform.

http://www.eclipse.org

Andrzej Kocon
Wednesday, August 21, 2002

At least 10% of Java programmers should be using Eclipse by now. It's the best IDE out there. Every other IDE should copy feature-by-feature it, and add more value using plugins.
Thanks for this awesome tool Eclipse crew ! :-)

Sandro

Hmm, Eclipse.

I have a serious problem with Eclipse and most other IDEs out there. If I'm going to evaluate an IDE then I like to give it a run through with a project I am working on/recently worked on/etc.

Eclipse won't let me do this - at least not intuitively. Apparently I have to move my project where Eclipse wants it to be. Add this to some other seemingly mystifying metaphors and I'm quickly alt-tabbing back to IDEA - it's very no fuss, very intuitive and very good.

Walter Rumsby

I second the IDEA ( www.intellij.com) reccomendation.  I've given Eclipse, Netbeans, JBuilder, and VisualAge all good chances.  IDEA is awesome, nothing comes close.

Eclipse in paticular doesn't do syntax highlighting with html/xml files.  That's important to me.  We do have people on my project who are using Eclipse so I can assure you that people are using it on real projects.  All my Eclipse using friends agree that IDEA is better but they don't pay $400 for something they can get for free.

vanguard

I agree IDEA is the best coding editor ever!

Patrick Ansari
Thursday, August 22, 2002

Any chance of a link for Idea.

What is IDEA.  IDE or Editor?

Ged Byrne

Oops, just seen the link.  Sorry (this is why my post count is so high:)

Ged Byrne

I'll try eclipse when it runs on my mac ... till then it's netbeans for me. 

Rahoul Baruah

This article mentions that Real Soon Now, OSNews will have a review on Eclipse for QNX.
http://www.osnews.com/comment.php?news_id=1588

At work they want to transition to Eclipse but I'm not particulary interested in IDEs.  Just something nice like Jext combnied with cmdline tools is fine for me.  Then again, I've run a debugger like 3 times in my life so ymmv.

Greg Neumann

One thing I really like about Eclipse is the hotswapping of code while an application runs. Its really nice to change a few lines of server code and see the changes reflected without restarting the server.

I think the hotswapping feature is the root of the difficulty getting an existing project into the eclipse workspace.

I've seen a couple other ways to get this hotswapping, but no other IDE that I'm aware of supports it yet. I tried IDEA last year and loved it, but hotswapping is my top feature (that others don't have).

NathanJ

i only got into eclipse for swt/jface - now that is fast on win for a java GUI. I will post when i have the api in oreilly nutshell format synopsis on my site.

Karel

Karel, that should be interesting

Patrick Ansari
Friday, August 23, 2002

For the latest and greatest IDEA builds, go to:
    http://www.intellij.com/eap

There are a lot of neat features in the pipes.

meara
Sunday, August 25, 2002

Thanks for the replies and links. (Special thanks to Greg for the last sentence).

Andrzej Kocon
Wednesday, August 28, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home