Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

dead trees versions??

following on from the last thread, I find it sad to think that the advent of the "paperless" office has resulted in a more wasteful and *paperfull" one.

How many of us print out discussions from this board and read them on the train?

When people send you long email jokes, what do you do with them?

Do you print out copies of those .pdf docs we all like to get on the net?

Wasteful, why? Because in the past you got a book, or magazine, read it, and passed it on. Nowadays, there seems to be less sharing and more print, read, and dump.

tapiwa
Tuesday, August 20, 2002

The paperless office is as likely as a paperless toilet.

A couple of years ago somebody at HP was telling me filing cabinet sales were increasing at 10% a year, largely fueled by their printers I guess.

Tony E
Tuesday, August 20, 2002

I'm firmly undecided on this one. I rarely print anything out that can be read on the screen, and part of me does feel it's wasteful to do so. However, paper comes from trees, a renewable resource, so I don't see much harm in printing temporary items. The waste of toner is what usually irritates me.

Troy King
Tuesday, August 20, 2002

"How many of us print out discussions from this board and read them on the train?"

Train? I live in the US. Get a car, hippie :)

"When people send you long email jokes, what do you do  with them?"

Delete them.

"Do you print out copies of those .pdf docs we all like to
get on the net?"

Yes! I always print pdf, ps, and word documents because it just doesn't feel "right" reading them in their respective software environments. Why this is so, I can't guess. HTML I read in the browser 99% of the time.

Steven Wisener
Tuesday, August 20, 2002

An acquaintance recently told me about his boss, who has the following system for dealing with e-mail messages:

1)  He (the boss) asks his secretary to print all the messages.

2)  He uses a pen to write comments in the margins and at the bottom of the message.

3)  He asks his secretary to fax the marked-up copy back to the initial sender.

Disclaimer: This could be an urban legend.

J. D. Trollinger
Tuesday, August 20, 2002

"The paperless office is as likely as a paperless toilet."

Ever seen the movie Demolition Man? :) BTW, hope you like Taco Bell....

Steven Wisener
Tuesday, August 20, 2002

JD - I once had a boss in Hong Kong who ran the operations for a large US based multinational here. He would (and I witnessed this):

1) Ask his secretary to boot his laptop, dial long distance into his mail server in the US (Yes, international long distance) and get his email

2) His secretary would print out his emails

3) If he was travelling at the time (mostly to the US), she would then fax his emails to him !

4) He would mark them up and fax them back to her in Hong Kong !

5) She would then respond to his emails using his laptop and his moniker

Guess it made him look like he did it all by himself.

Jagdish Bajaj
Tuesday, August 20, 2002

Jagdish, JD this is so true. I have seen that happen so many times. In the UK no less.

tapiwa
Wednesday, August 21, 2002

A friend of mine used to have a neighbour who's ex would drive up, park outside her flat and honk his hron. She'd come to the window and he'd yell "Any email for me?" Their son would check his email and print them out and she'd read them to him out the window. Sometimes he'd dictate replies to her.

He wasn't allowed to go in because of a barring order preventing him from coming within 50 feet of the kid. :-)

James

James Shields
Wednesday, August 21, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home