Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Useful JOS Forum Statistics ?

Is it useful to know that Ged Byrne is the top active poster on this forum with 288 comments posted?

Or that Open Letter:H1B's WTF is the most commented on topic with 186 comments?

Or that the forum currently has 855 active members (not allowing for multiple monikers)?

I am investigating how these kind of forums are used, and am generating these stats to help me understand how people form and organise communities around a common interest.

Why not take a look at these stats, and let me know if they are useful?

[ http://www.usabilitymustdie.com/statistics.htm#joel ]

Chris McEvoy
Monday, August 19, 2002

That's really cool.

Hey, Ged!  Back to work, slacker!

Dunno Wair
Monday, August 19, 2002

Well, yes, but if Bella and Joe AA really are the same person then he/she is by far the most prolific poster. And is "Joe AA" with a paltry 27 posts the same as "Joe AA." with 229 posts? I think we should be told.

Andrew Simmons
Monday, August 19, 2002

The print is too small on your reports. It's not readable OMM.

pb
Monday, August 19, 2002

God I'm number 4 and I don't even have the excuse of being an editor of magazines.

Simon Lucy
Tuesday, August 20, 2002

Mac, you have too much free time. Go back to Webword, you slacker. ;)

MadMan
Tuesday, August 20, 2002

way to go Chris!

Prakash S
Tuesday, August 20, 2002

See, quantity beats quality every time.

Ged Byrne
Tuesday, August 20, 2002

Andrew Simmons has hit a nail. "Members" is a complete misnomer, because you can type anything in the "Full name" box.

Andrew Simmons is away from his desk at the moment
Tuesday, August 20, 2002

I had this problem on my site.

Do I make people go through the hassle of registering so I can keep accurate stats, verify identity, and allow for nice customization features? Or, do I keep it really easy for people to post comments?

My site actually allows for both now, but I encourage people to register and I tried to make the registration process super simple.

Luke Duff
Tuesday, August 20, 2002

> Why not take a look at these stats, and let me know if they are useful?

Not useful to me, but you've displayed them well.

Christopher Wells
Tuesday, August 20, 2002

Registering is irritating and as this forum (and 37svn) shows, unnecessary.

pb
Tuesday, August 20, 2002

it's cool.
At least for viewing old discussion.

moe
Wednesday, August 21, 2002

> I am investigating how these kind of forums are used, and am generating these stats to help me understand how people form and organise communities

Presumably they use statistics to generate views of slashdot, which has so many posters and posts per day that a person can't read all of it.

> around a common interest

Statistics that measure community: total number of posts per day on the forum; time of day at which people post; presence of regular posters; whether each poster is "active" or is unlikely ever to post again; number of lurkers; number of unanswered messages; number of killed messages.

Christopher Wells

Thanks for the comments, and here is a summary of what I have picked up on:

> but if Bella and Joe AA really are the same person then he/she is by far the most prolific poster.

If you look at the DNA screen you would propably deduce that Bella and Joe AA are NOT the same person.
[ http://www.usabilitymustdie.com/jos/WW_DNA.html ]
You can see that the posting gaps and frequency are quite different.

But, if they were the same person then I believe they should still be treated as two different posters. People often have more than one identity which allows them to present different versions of themselves.

> And is "Joe AA" with a paltry 27 posts the same as "Joe AA."

I have combined the people who are 'obviously' the same person, so some of the dual people should merge on the next update (Next day or so..)

> "Members" is a complete misnomer..

I much prefer non-registration sites, but it does cause some difficulties with this type of analysis.

It is interesting to note that most people were interested in their 'ranking' in relation to one another, where as a smaller group of people were interested in the relationships between the topics themselves, or the change over time.

I wonder what 'new to Joel' people would find interesting.

And thanks again for the suggestions (especially Christopher Wells), I shall throw these into the pot and let you know what happens.

Chris McEvoy

As a relative new-comer, I'd say "most commented on" it the one to draw my attention. I personally like the recommendation system used at www.fool.co.uk and many other forums.

Alf Melin
Thursday, August 22, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home