Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Other people's music / LanJukebox

A recent thread about Winamp threw up the existence of the following product:

http://www.zicht.nl/lanjukebox/

As far as I can make out, it's a neat concept -- a centralised MP3 server that plays music on one machine with speakers, but which everyone on the network can control. But I'm wondering whether anyone who reads this forum would actually be able to stand it in _their_ office. Personally, I'd go nuts if I was forced to listen to other people's music.

Does anyone here work in an environment where there's music playing? How do you feel about it?

Adrian Gilby
Sunday, August 18, 2002

Your own music on sealed headphones (like these http://www.sonystyle.com/home/item.jsp?hierc=9688x8746x8750&catid=&itemid=266 ). Alternatively, earplugs (like these http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jhtml?PRODID=362489&CATID=100217 ).

Troy King
Sunday, August 18, 2002

Well, I think there are many offices in which there's a radio/CD player somewhere playing music. In this situation, LAN Jukebox relieves you from having to change CD's all the time, and sometimes it can be fun to listen the songs other people have added and requested.

But I agree that it can also be irritating from time to time, especially when doing programming work. If you're sharing office space, you have to make compromises...

Frederik Slijkerman
Monday, August 19, 2002

>>> But I'm wondering whether anyone who reads this forum would actually be able to stand it in _their_ office. Personally, I'd                go nuts if I was forced to listen to other people's music.<<<

Lucky you (since it sounds like you don't have to listen to other people's music).

I can imagine that it would be an improvement over what I have to deal with now.  Since user's can make selections, veto selections and upload their own MP3s, their ought to be some way to work the system to one's advantage.  Some ideas:

- Upload an MP3 file of 15 (or x) minutes of silence.
- Upload selections from Dr. Demento, mislabeled.
- Upload multiple copies of something really awful, but with different names.

Sorry about being kind of nasty here, but there has to be something really wrong with a company that hires people to do technical work, then intentionally adds distracting background sounds.  But there sure are a lot of them out there.

mackinac
Monday, August 19, 2002

I am the owner of an internet cafe and the idea of a centralised, client controlable jukebox over a Lan is just perfect... but finding 'ready' software has proved a dead end... although there are 1,000's of internet cafe's and similar businesses that could benefit from such a software package.

It can be done using winXP remote console (simply by allowing clients to run the servers media player) but whoa... that leaves the server open to abuse and I cannot take the risk of allowing my clients such access (there is always someone that enjoys changing all the mp3's to the same name... and when you got 6,000 mp3's thats not funny)

Anyone know of another way or a program that allows client control of a music server ??? Nop 'Lan Jukebox' works... I have tried it, but the problem is that it makes duplicate copies of the mp3's into its own folder.... ahem... why should anyone want that?... when surely pointing to a databse would have worked better... well anyway the search continues.........

electronwarrior
Sunday, October 19, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home