Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

National Domains

I'm interested in hearing about the use of national domains in different countries. 

I know that the US (outside of government) has almost completely rejected the .us domain in favour of .com (or .org, .net, etc.), and that Australia has made what I consider to be brilliant use of their's by prefixing it with .com (i.e. www.domain.com.au), allowing the reuse at a national level of domain names that were already claimed abroad.

Here in Canada, the .ca domain is relatively uncommon because of incompetent administration and overly harsh regulation between 1988 and 1998.

In order to obtain a .ca domain name you had to have a commercial presence it more than one province.

If you were only in one province, but in several cities, you could only get a (in Ontario, for example) .on.ca domain name.

In a single city (e.g. Toronto) you'd get stuck with something like .to.on.ca.

I may not have the system exactly right, but you get the idea.  Since 1998 they've more or less got their act together with an official national non-profit regulator (CIRA), but I almost think it's too late for the .ca domain.  I doubt anyone wants one anymore, they're so used to easily registering a .com.

Any other stories of national domain use or abuse?

Dunno Wair
Friday, August 16, 2002

Use of the .us domain was recently opened up so any US citizen, resident or business could get _anything_.us.  This may make it more popular.  I recently got ${MYLASTNAME}.us since the corresponding .com, .org, were already taken.

mackinac
Friday, August 16, 2002

The .uk domain is quite widely used.
It's easy to get one and until recently was quite a lot cheaper than a .com domain.

John Burton
Friday, August 16, 2002

So, why is the old Canadian system a bad thing? Why should every single TLD be a free-for-all?

Adam Fitzpatrick
Saturday, August 17, 2002

We were in Canada, doing business internationally, and we couldn't get one because we only had an office in one province. It was basically reserved for big business and multinationals. It was very very stupid, and that is why most canadian businesses are .com's. It worked out though, because we've left Canada and haven't had to change our url - maybe they were smarter than I give them credit for...

Robin Debreuil
Saturday, August 17, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home