will run on Windows, Linux and the major Unix flavours? It obviously would not
need to support MS-only tools.

David Clayworth
Thursday, August 15, 2002

Ant

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Adam
Thursday, August 15, 2002

Maybe Final Builder can be ported to Linux after all its a Delphi App. It could be a pain probably to port to CLX stuff.

Sunish
Friday, August 16, 2002

Ant? that is fresh coming from you Adam

Mind you this is the US and the nineties oops new melinnium never mind

Karel
Friday, August 16, 2002

[David Clayworth]
> Does anyone out there know of a product like FinalBuild,
> doing the same job, but which will run on Windows, Linux
> and the major Unix flavours? It obviously would not need
> to support MS-only tools.

[Adam]
> Ant

A good choice if you're used to Unix and command line tools, but maybe a tad difficult to understand if you're used to Windows. Of course, Ant files are only "setup" files, not scripts as such, and would seem perfectly suited to being read and written by a GUI-based tool of some sort. There now, if anyone is looking for an open-source project (or for a product to sell, actually)...

David Hicks
Friday, August 16, 2002

Take a look at this lot

http://jakarta.apache.org/ant/external.html#IDE%20and%20Editor%20Integration

Ant is integrated with most java ides already. There is also the antidote project that provides a standalone java gui for ant.

Alex Moffat
Saturday, August 17, 2002

If you're looking for something "like FinalBuild" in that it wraps your normal developer build (with ant, make, a compiler, or etc.) to do the nightly/automated parts as well, i.e. gets stuff from source control, sets up environment, does standard build, runs tests/scripts, copies files off, tears down environment & deletes files...

I haven't looked into any of the script-based tools in detail, but I was intending to start with Build Robot at http://www.devguy.com/fp/cfgmgmt/tools/buildRobot.htm

Mikayla
Tuesday, August 20, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home