Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

What's on your plate today?

What's good or bad about your day today?

interested two
Thursday, August 15, 2002

Hmm... Good or bad...

1) Had to slam on the brakes and dumped my coffee in my lap during the commute.

2) Got to work to find out that Exchange died and took my email with it.

3) Got a call from my wife to tell me my grandmother died.

4) My production machine won't boot now.

Still waiting for the good...

Nony Moose

Have to pay college tuition for my 19 year old today. $$$'s

The handman is here to start refinishing the kitchen cabinets. $$'s

Two kids soccer practice at 5 today.  The fields are 20 miles from each other.  Thanks for carpooling.

Three different clients want web changes today, it would be easy if they really knew what they want.

Lots of dollars out today, very few in; but life is good.

tk

I played 35 minutes of squash this morning before coming into work - it's a nice habit. Lunch was a peanut-butter and meatless-salami sandwich, and a banana. I don't know what will be on my plate this evening: I cooked the meal yesterday, but today my wife will be doing that for us.

name witheld by request

1. Pay day
2. Caffeine!

:)

Zwarm Monkey

Enjoyed my bike ride into work this morning.  Another blue sky day in Seattle (this has been a great summer). Cold this morning - jacket required.

Trying to make the Geode capture video over CCIR bus.  Good documentation, however the code base is not as nice.

Sorry to hear about your Grandma.  I got that same call back in 1995.  It was a hard day.

Nat Ersoz

1)Writing the Turnover document so I can leave this job and go start my contracting gig.

2) Figuireing out why JBoss on one of our servers keeps cutting out.

Adam

The Good:
Easy (if boring) assignments today.

The Bad:
Forgot my athletic shoes, so I can't box tonight.

Norrick

Bad:
* I have a long boring document to (re)write after a difficult review.  And I want to code!
* A flatbed lorry decided to park itself in a 8ft wide road on my journey into work.  Even my bike couldn't get me out of that!

Good:
* It is an overwhelmingly beautiful day.  The Thames outside our back windows is actually blue, and Kew Gardens look very, very green.  My bike ride in (apart from the above) was very pleasant (no rain!)
* I'm going to the Swan at Twickenham for beers with two good friends after work.  A very pleasant pub.

Mark Alexander Bertenshaw
Friday, August 16, 2002

The bad:

Stuck in a office,
          Looking for a new job,
          Trying to get some CF code to work,

The good:

It's Friday,
          It's Sunny (for London that's good),
          It's fish and chips for dinner,
          And everything else I can think of,

:-)

Stephen Adams
Friday, August 16, 2002

The Good:
Its friday
Its payday
Beautiful coastal north carolina day

The Bad:
A/C in my car died.

apw
Friday, August 16, 2002

Sent out a memo a few months back announcing that Fridays would be 'code only Fridays' for me and please respect my space and do not disturb me on this day.

Since then it's been a nightmare of interruptions every Friday.

Two weeks ago, installed at my own expense a lock on the office door. There was a flurry of discussion and my the end of the day I was giving a written warning informing me I was in violation of fire regulations and to remove the lock immediately.

Today I have not got a single thing done. The interruption just now was "very very important" -- I need to fill out a survey about what sorts of instant coffee I prefer for the breakroom and what sorts of snacks I'd like to see in the vending machine. "But it can't wait until Monday -- the vendor is here now." "He just brought the surveys today? And wants them filled out immediately?" "Well no, he dropped them off last month but they need to be returned today." "Why didn't you give them to me before if they have to be filled out by today?" "I have been very busy." "Doing important things?" "Yes."

After each of these, it takes me quite a few minutes to simmer down and remember what I was trying to work on and then comes the next one, relentlessly, unendingly over and over with no hope of stopping, gradually and imperceptibly eroding my train of thought like waves eroding a sandstone cliff.

Sarain H.
Friday, August 16, 2002

Writing test/parse/generate routines tag by tag for the swf format (in C#, oh happy day).

Made a couple winamp skins to check out the new specs.

Went for a nice run along the ocean (in Xiamen, China, nicest place to live in the world).

2:00 am, haven't had an interruption since 10:00, and not another till I sleep. Totally quiet in this village, expect for the insects in the mountains.

May go for some late night/early morning dimsum and do some drawing. Or have a beer and sleep...

So all good!

Robin Debreuil
Friday, August 16, 2002

""
Sent out a memo a few months back announcing that Fridays would be 'code only Fridays' for me and please respect my space and do not disturb me on this day.

Since then it's been a nightmare of interruptions every Friday.
""

Sarain, Put out a memo saying that Fridays will be 'interuption only Fridays'. You might get some coding done.

Evan
Friday, August 16, 2002

An insidious insight and diabolical scheme.

I may just try that one out... Thanks.

Sarain H.
Friday, August 16, 2002

>Since then it's been a nightmare of interruptions every
Friday.

They think you will sneaking home early every Friday if they leave you uninterrupted. It has nothing to do with getting privacy to do your programming :-)

Patrik
Saturday, August 17, 2002

Thought I was having a bad day until I read Moose's post. Maybe my day isn't so bad after all. Chin up, Moose.

Tuesday, August 20, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home