Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

MS Content Management Server (CMS)

Hi Folks

All these consulting firms such as Gartner, Meta, etc are predicting huge market for the content management software(s). With unbelievable high price tag of $US46000 per license, how MS CMS can penetrate this market?

Your feedbacks are highly appreciated.

CMS curious
Wednesday, August 14, 2002

A *lot* cheaper than Vignette, Documentum, Interwoven and Broadvision.

pb

use CVS as your CMS

Use Three tags: 
New, Approved, and Live

Daily checkout from the live tag

New code and changes go into New.
QA approved gets tagged approved. 
Buildmaster tags things as live. 
Cron job updates at 3AM

Any questions

Adam

Using CVS like that is more of a document management system... the "content" isn't getting managed.

In addition to managing the cycle from prototype to final, the point of a content management system is to allow the designers and the programmers and the content creators to all do their own thing w/o messing with each other too much.

Of course, with some PHP scripts or some PERL scripts AND CVS you could make your own homegrown one.  But you could probably download a homegrown one already written for free.

I think potentially MS has an advantage because of their name and because of their price.  Believe it or not, 50k for a big iron CMS is actually cheap.  Then again this could be because we're overlooking the real cost which includes the integration consulting which may or may not be HUGE.

Michael H. Pryor

plone on cmf on zope.

www.plone.org

cj

OK, I've always wondered...

What exactly is a content management system, and how does it differ from a version control system (like CVS, etc.).

Thanks,

Nat

Nat Ersoz

OK, My View was a little simplified, but that come from a standpoint where things should be simple.  What you need a CMS to do for you depends on the type of content you plan on publishing.  Slash, the code source behind slashdot , can be viewed as a content management system, although it contains very little in the way of workflow.  It allows a huge audience to contribute, and adistributed moderation system.

The system I described up above works for straight HTML.  Obviously, it allows no sort of formatting control.  Everything is content.

At the other extreme there is something like ATG dynamo Commerce server.  In this case, the content is the Data Used for Catalog managment in eComerce.  Again, very little workflow, but it allows a nice separation of display logice from substance, with the ability to specify categories, and the tmeplate to use for each category.

A quick search on freshmeat.net turns up:153 projects found Cocoon, part of the apache project ( http://xml.apache.org ) is one of the oldest and is quite well supported.  I spins itself as :XML-based web publishing, in Java.

Adam

My instincts say that CMS is hardly Microsoft's complete Content Management solution - More likely that it's just sticking a foot in the door with something they found at NCompass.

If we agree that Content Authoring is a core part of Content Managment, remember that those folk in Redmond own a pretty popular suite of authoring tools...

Gordon Taylor
Thursday, August 15, 2002

Adam,

Thanks for the reply.  That was helpful. 

Nat Ersoz

CMS is I think the only IT area where people are still paying stupid money for fsck-all.

CMS almost by definition cannot be off the shelf. Sure, content generation is content generation, but you will certainly need to customise, unless you want you site to be another *nuke site.

When looking at CMS, look at something that gives you the basics, forms, user authentication, versioning, workflow etc. The rest you will have to build/customize yourself.

If you want CMS, with great plugins, workflow, the whole shebang, then look at

openacs.org

runs on oracle, and postgres.

dotlrn.openforce.org is an online-education suite that couples on top of that.

tapiwa

http://openacs.org and http://dotlrn.openforce.net

tapiwa

ACS looks pretty interesting.  What can I do with this over Wikki?  Are they similar?  Kind of interested just for hobby purposes.

Thanks,

interested two

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home