Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Will FinalBuilder support .NET?

From looking at the supported 3rd party products for FinalBuilder, none of the current .NET languages seem to be supported.  Does anyone know if AToZed plans to implement this support?

Potential FinalBuilder Customer
Wednesday, August 14, 2002

I guess the website's out of date... FinalBuilder currently supports Visual Studio .NET and we working on support for the C# and VB.NET compilers in the .NET SDK.

Vincent Parrett

I was wondering that myself...  We use & will likely continue using some VB6 here, which most script-based build tools don't explicitly cover, so FinalBuilder might be useful to us for that, but a tool that works for both that *and* unmanaged C++ generated by Visual Studio .NET would be almost perfect. 

("Almost" because it doesn't, at least according to the website, directly support version control systems other than SourceSafe.  If anyone has experience setting it up with CVS or possibly Perforce, I'd be interested to hear.)

Mikayla

FinalBuilder does support Perforce, CVS support is planned for a later version (we are working on a vcs plugin architecture to make it easier to support more vcs systems).

You can still use CVS via it's command line tool from FinalBuilder. We have had a lot of requests for CVS support lately so it's definately moved up on the todo list!

Vincent Parrett

We use FinalBuilder to do CVS. 

Anything that you can do with a batch script you can do better with FinalBuilder.  And if FinalBuilder has native support for it, it's like icing on the cake.

Michael H. Pryor

Since the FinalBuilder web page says that it supports Visual Source Safe 6.0, does this mean that it will also integrate with other SCC products that support the Microsoft SCC API?

Tim Lara

No, FinalBuilder does not support the SCC API. We recently spent some time working with it, however we found it is not suited to automated builds, because many scc providers display dialogs when doing some operations like get/check out/check in. This would bring your build to a stop waiting fro your input..... not much use if the build is runing unattended overnight....

So now we are back to investigating each vcs vendor's api's.. what we are doing is some abstraction to make it easier and faster for us to support more vcs products in the future.

Vincent Parrett

Check out NAnt:

http://nant.sourceforge.net/

Richard Caetano
Thursday, August 15, 2002

And which language is FinalBuilder written in ?

Sunish
Friday, August 16, 2002

I found it out myself, I see all those Delphi Runtime bpls. Its a Delphi 6 app.

Sunish
Friday, August 16, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home