Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Actually, I think I said "checks!"

In the USA you may have said "Checks," but in the UK and Australia you said "Cheques."

Now, can you explain why HTML mispells "Centre?"

Ged Byrne
Friday, November 30, 2001

Everyone knows it is because the Internet is American :)

Damian
Saturday, December 01, 2001

You think that's bad? The HTTP standard has a server variable called HTTP_REFERERS that is a spelling mistake in any version of English. The correct spelling, of course, is "referrer" :(

MadMan

When I was at school I lost a grade on my computer related essay for the repeatedly misspelling disc and programme.

Ged Byrne

If all the compiler errors caused by spelling ORGANIZATION, ORGANISATION in COBOL programs were laid end to end I would be at all surprised at the amount of music ruled stationery pulped as a result.

Though why on earth the parser couldn't be allowed to accept either spelling is beyond me.

Simon Lucy

If the english language was a compiled language, Americans would have the buggiest code on the face of the earth :-)

Tony McConnell

Sorry, I have a bug in my own sentence, of course I mean the English language with a capitol E.

Tony McConnell

"Capitol E" ?

Fredrik Lundh

The State Capitol of E, in the country of the Eng

Simon Lucy
Sunday, December 02, 2001

Not quite right Simon.
Usually when one refers to countries or names one uses a 'big' letter such as 'S' for Simon, and not a small s as say 's' for simpleton.
Therefore America has an 'A' and not an 'a'. and England has an 'E' and not an 'e'.
Where is 'Eng'? is it near 'Ame'?
Cheers
Tony

Tony McConnell
Tuesday, December 04, 2001

<anorak_mode>
Amer, actually.  Eng and Amer were used in a satirical work on the First World War.
</anorak_mode>

Simon Lucy
Tuesday, December 04, 2001

Ged Byrne wrote:

"When I was at school I lost a grade on my computer related essay for the repeatedly misspelling disc and programme."

No, you actually lost a grade because you didn't hyphenate "computer-related" in the title of your otherwise excellent essay.  :-)

Ged Byrne's former teacher
Thursday, December 06, 2001

Of course, I didn't really lose a grade.  Nobody loses grades in England.

We get 'Marked Down.'  Which sounds much more painful.

Ged Byrne
Friday, December 07, 2001

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home