Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Bandwidth

Happened to notice that you guys are looking for cost efficient download bandwidth. So here's some more unasked for advise ;)

You might want to consider getting a dedicated server at www.rackshack.net. They offer 1Ghz P3's and Durons for $99/month which includes 300GB of traffic. That should take care of tens of thousands of downloads and makes you independent of 3rd parties.

Jan Derk

Jan Derk
Friday, November 30, 2001

Excellent!  Thanks Jan!

Michael Pryor

That looks like a really good deal. Do you have any direct experience with them?

Joel Spolsky

<< That looks like a really good deal. Do you have any direct experience with them? >>

Not directly. I am looking around myself for a dedicated server myself as my web site which is still on a shared server (with the best host in the world www.futurequest.com) gets too much traffic. I need an emergency plan if things become even worse.

I did a lot of research and while these guys are rather new they sell dedicated servers like donuts. Just do a search on www.webhostingtalk.com for dozens of discussions about them. They also have a public forum on their site (forum.rackshack.net) which not many hosts dare to do.

Jan Derk

Jan Derk

We host one of our sites on crystal tech ( www.crystaltech.com ) and have been very pleased with their prices, and especially their support. They have answered every email within an hour or so. And I recall that we were up and running within hours of our order.

Harvey Motulsky

Companies that come out with prices like that (which is insane) usually keep it up for a while but inevitably raise prices (or just go out of business if they don't smarten up fast enough). That's an incredible deal for now though, if I had a ton of bandwidth-heavy downloads to host I'd try them for a month for sure.

a
Sunday, December 02, 2001

I tried looking at www.rackshack.net this morning and get a DNS failure .

Simon Lucy
Tuesday, December 04, 2001

That's not a good sign!

I opened an account with RackShack for now to let people start downloading the Starter Edition. It will give me a chance to measure the demand and figure out how much bandwidth we really need. In a few weeks we can reevaluate.

Joel Spolsky
Tuesday, December 04, 2001

It was fine this morning.

Simon Lucy
Wednesday, December 05, 2001

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home