Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Listen.com doomed to fail

I think listen.com is doomed to fail.

It's computer only.  You can't download the music and burn it to a CD to play in your car, your walkman, your home stereo.  You can't copy the music to your MD player or your MP3 player etc, etc.

So, except for geeks that sit at a computer all day and are allowed to listen to music there's no audience. (non development people are generally not allowed to listen to music at work and people at home generally do not have their computer next to there stereo nor do they want to hear the computer fan/hard drive while they are trying to listen to music and even if they did have it connected jr. is playing Quake 3 all the time)

emusic.com has it right. Download acutal unprotected mp3s, do whatever you want with them (burn a CD, copy them to your iPod, etc....).  If you cancel your service you still have all the music you got.  Of course they don't want you to share them.  Their hope is that it's far easier to use their service than to try to find the same music pirated.  Their only problem is they don't have enough current artists.

Gregg Tavares
Monday, August 12, 2002

If HBO is to video what Listen.com is to music, then I'd listen.com has a decent chance of making it.

There are lots of media pay per use services out there which do not allow (or at least make it easy) to store the content for reuse.  They are thriving.

Seems like a pretty simple analogy to me.  Other services, like DMX, provide similar services (though arguably less capable) and they are thriving too.

Nat Ersoz
Monday, August 12, 2002

This interview with MusicNet's CEO gives me some faith that they know the problems involved. 
http://news.com.com/2008-1082-944914.html

Near the end, they talk about the crux of the biscuit -- the need to copy to different media and unencrypted mp3 downloads.  While it seemed he could have said a lot of interesting things about that, he clearly couldn't because of his negotiations with the labels.  So I think they're aware of what's obvious to everyone, but at the same time need to be diplomatic.

Sammy
Monday, August 12, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home