Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

jdbc client

is there a good generic JDBC client (Like DBArtisan) that you know of, could be free, or not-free

anon
Thursday, August 08, 2002

You mean like MySQL?

www.mysql.com

The voice of rationality
Friday, August 09, 2002

Like a generic UI? There are some web based ones..

Eric DeBois
Friday, August 09, 2002

SQuirreL SQL client:

http://squirrel-sql.sourceforge.net/

Greg
Friday, August 09, 2002

Is it me, or does anyone know what the hell he's talking about?  JDBC is a database layer API.  ANYTHING that uses JDBC is a JDBC client.  What client do you mean?  Be more specific. 

Bella
Friday, August 09, 2002

Assuming you want a DB-artisan type of app, why do you want it via JDBC?  Using a Java front end app will drive you nuts while trying to work quickly as a programmer,

Swing/AWT are garbage excuses for UI's.  They never were ready for prime time, esp. if you compare their perforamance and robustness to Windows, the UI that nothing else can even hold a candle to. 

Bella
Friday, August 09, 2002

I've used JDBC drivers from iNet Software:

http://www.inetsoftware.de/

I've found them to be fast and reliable.  I mean, blazing fast and bulletproof.  Not free, but not terribly expensive either.

Pat
--

Patrick Carroll
Friday, August 09, 2002

Bella, I realize there are alternatives to jdbc (Native or ODBC), but suppose I am actually testing the drivers, or that I dont want to learn how to set up 15 different  proprietary clients before I can set up a data source, or a thousand other reasons ...

So please, assume I mean what I say, not everyone has the exact same job you do.

I guess I should have been more specific about what I mean by client- I mean a  DB artisan type app, where you can edit SQL, run queries, view meta data etc ... MySQL CC, would be an example of what I want but I need something that works with JDBC, and apps other than MySQL.

anon
Friday, August 09, 2002

Sorry Meant DBMS other than MySQL

anon
Friday, August 09, 2002

DBEdit from Rubicode http://www.rubicode.com/Software/DBEdit/ on Mac OS X does some of what you're looking for.  May or may not help you, I don't know if you're running Mac OS X yet.

It uses the Enterprise Objects Framework and requires an EOModel file before it'll let you manipulate a database, though.  (Because it uses EOF, it requires WebObjects to also be installed.)  Fortunately, getting a basic EOModel file for a database just involves running EOModeler, giving it the JDBC connection information for your database, and telling it to suck down all the schema information.  It'll generate a basic O-R mapping for you.

Oh, and Bella, "Windows, the UI that nothing else can even hold a candle to"?  What are you smoking?

Chris Hanson
Friday, August 09, 2002

Go check jgoodies.net for some swing application.
By the way CA write a lot of their million dollar administration apps in swing. In japan most cell phone apps are written in awt subset. I can name many commercial apps written in swing. You can check the swing connection for many examples. From 3D CAD tools to games.
Did you ever check programs like netbeans or word processors written in java.
People like you are so annoying.

stupid bella
Friday, August 09, 2002

Db Visualizer from www.minq.se is a very good free database access tool.

John McQuilling
Saturday, August 10, 2002

Bella,

the problem with Swing is not that you can't create highly professional and responsive applications with it. The problem is that it's too difficult for the average programmer. The layout managers and default look & feels are crap.

The jGoodies site by Karsten Lentsch shows that you can create a highly professional GUI with Swing - it looks very similar to IBM's Eclipse framework which uses a native widget set implementation built on top of Java called SWT

Anyone who does serious Java coding should be able to build something similar to this. I agree, however, that Sun isn't exactly a GUI company - the problem with Sun is that they come from a UNIX/Solaris background where ugly (but functional) GUIs are acceptable because Solaris is only used by geeks.

Patrick Ansari

By the way - there's a new Look & Feel out called Alloy. Unfortunately it's quite expensinve but it really looks cool.

I think Sun is working on a Windows XP L&F for the new release of the JDK. Saw it somewhere on a Sun forum not sure if it's true, though.

Patrick Ansari

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home