Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

CLARION

hi everyone! What do you think of clarion programming language from softvelocity? How do you compare it with vb?

justasking

just asking
Saturday, August 03, 2002

I think that you will receive a lot of... "I don't know because I never heard of it". :-)

I think Clarion is a very good and productive tool for building database applications. If you want to build a database application, for internal use (I still not use the ASP deployment)... Clarion is the way to go.

sglez
Monday, August 05, 2002

intesesting to consider what happned to all those early cleient/server leaders like powerbuilder, clarion, foxpro

It seems that M$ just can not kill visual foxpro.

what other products do you put in this category?

Karel
Monday, August 05, 2002

I second sglez's opinion.

Ricardo Antunes da Costa
Monday, August 05, 2002

Well, FoxPro is not dead...but no new developers, and no new applications does spell a slow death (and I was a FoxPro developer at one time!).

As for Clarion?

Clarion is a product that I have not used, but seen run.

It has some things going for it, such as a real ease to “distribute” the resulting application. The results are small, and can be distributed royalty free. In addition, it does have some thin client stuff available to allow use across the web. Again this is way cool.

I am not sure how extensible and how good of a programming language environment that Clarion has, but it does produce small exe’s.

Since Microsoft has a thin client available for windows, then you can run ms-access, VB, or whatever part of office across the web now anyway (and not re-write one line of code). In addition, since ms-access uses VB as it’s development language, then you can more easily program the rest of the office suite stuff, since word and Excel also use VB. I write and create class objects quite a bit in ms-access, and a language that allows creating of objects can really help here. In addition, you have armies of VB programmers out there.

Like all products from FoxPro to FileMaker, to Clarion, the real question becomes:

Why use it over a existing product?, and how can you get me to change to the product?

If the above two questions are not answered, then you will not get my interest.

To me, the #1 reason to use Clarion is the distribution abilities (no dll’s dependencies, and resulting apps are VERY small). While ms-access has a royalty free distribution option, it is not very good (and is about 100 megs in size!).  The other advantage of Clarion is to use the thin client (but as mentioned, ms offers this now anyway). In other words, for awhile the fact of a thin client was a advantage, since the application could be deployed and functional across the net with no additional work. Since MS offers this now, I not really sure of what the advantages of Clarion are now.

The other issue mentioned is one of standards. VB is perhaps the most common language, and ms-access uses this for programming. Access can now be tightly integrated with SQL server, and again what server product you are going to learn, and use with Clarion?

The main reason why I use office is due to COM, and the fact that it is run via VB. Each application in office is not really much value, but fact that it interoperation with everything else is what gives it its value.

** This is important:
Almost all new computer work today involves integration and talking to other software. This was not the case 10 years ago when many business where in there first round of computerization.  Today, products must integrate with email, accounting database, and contact management systems. (and a good part of that is done via com (objects) these days). Users are way smarter today, and what they ask now is *way* above that first computer for just a mailing list!

Thus, my comments on thin client, and why a thin client is not a solution to today’s problems can be read in a recent thread here at:

are rich client uis still an advantage
The link for above is:

http://discuss.fogcreek.com/joelonsoftware/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=12701&ixReplies=8

Albert D. Kallal
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
Kallal@msn.com

Albert D. Kallal
Tuesday, August 06, 2002

I've read the responses so far and am surprised that no one has mentioned its RAD capabilities. You can complete application extremely quickly.

It is very feature-rich and have reached a point where I develop using nothing else. In the past I've used mainframe assembler, COBOL, PL/I, a whole bunch of versions of basic (Visual, BBX, Thoroughbred, etc), Foxpro (up through 7), Access (Yecch!), Paradox, and Dataflex.

I've found none of them comes close to the capabilities of Clarion with the exception of Delphi which seems capable of doing RAD really well but I don't use it.

Yes, I really like Clarion.

Drew Bourrut
Tuesday, August 06, 2002

Trying to answer the question...

"Why use it over a existing product?, and how can you get me to change to the product?"

For me... the only reason to use Clarion instead of VB for the creation of DATABASE APPLICATIONS is:

- Faster the creation
- Easier the maintenance

Is not the correct tool for the creation of other "generic applications".

His "schema centric approach or dictionay centric approach" is very nice for me and the company where I work.

I'm more productive with Clarion.

sglez
Tuesday, August 06, 2002

We have used both clarion and VB. Our new Application Script  browser was created in clarion as a rentrant class system compiled to a DLL.

Clarion supports its own base class structures and so you can create complex class structures that run extremely fast just like you can with Delphi or C, C++.

This new scripting system with over 600 functions for controlling an application including its own data dictionary and the ability to run code through our langauge emulation object, and generate code from the applications built in meta model showed that clarion is a very serious development langauge. We then called the langauge emulator (application browser from within VB), this allows the clarion software to exist inside VB or any platform that supports a standard rentrant DLL.

So we can now see that the clarion langauge can be used to design not only database apps, but scripting languages and application browsers.

In fact i would say that with todays advanced IDEs, clarions compiler might well be its best kept secret.

R&D

Quantum Dynamics Ltd.

R&D
Wednesday, August 07, 2002

Clarion it´s an excellent RAD tool. It can really cut your development times in half, at least. It´s really good for database driven business development.

I´ve been using it for the past 4 years and so far so good!

If you are an independent software developer or are not tied to x or y development tool you should give Clarion (www.softvelocity.com) a try.

Sergio C
Monday, May 24, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home