Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

development manager

Hi all

In your opinion what should be the main charactristics/qualification of a sofware development manager?

Thanks

SWE
Thursday, August 01, 2002

Know how to make schedules, how to write good specs, and how to deal with people (upper managament and subordinates). Add a little of common sense and a firm grasp on technology, and there you go.

Leonardo Herrera

- Know  your team's capabilites!
- Know What projects your team is doing, and how far along they are at all times!
- Prioritize their tasks for them
- Keep other managers away from them
- Be able to articulate hard data about your team to your boss

That's it!

Daniel Shchyokin

Being able to convince ignorant developers of the business need to do something that is 'ugly'.

the cluetrain

Oh yeah.  Being able to convince 'C' guys of the importance of doing something 'elegantly'.

the cluetrain

>Being able to convince ignorant developers of the >business need to do something that is 'ugly'.

true, but probably not as hard in this economy

Daniel Shchyokin
Friday, August 02, 2002

>- Prioritize their tasks for them

This is the road to failure if the manager does not have a very firm grip on the overall structure of the software. Its MY job to prioritize what gets done when. In my experience gantt-chart-people should stay away from prioritizing developers efforts.

If you have developers that cannot do this themselves, hire new ones that can.

Patrik
Saturday, August 03, 2002

Lots of money.

Hugh Wells
Saturday, August 03, 2002

>- Prioritize their tasks for them

>This is the road to failure if the manager does not have a >very firm grip on the overall structure of the software. Its >MY job to prioritize what gets done when. In my >experience gantt-chart-people should stay away from >prioritizing developers efforts.
>
>If you have developers that cannot do this themselves, >hire new ones that can.

In any non-trivial development, asking developers to be the priority triagers is silly .  This implies the absence of  competent product management in a company.

So if you have 200 feature ideas, you would have your developers decide the future of your product?

As a developer this sounds completely unrealistic except in the case where your target market is developer tools.

- Rick

Rick
Tuesday, August 06, 2002

Rich... IMNSOH... I think you missed the point.

As a development manager, you cannot put yourself in the position of deciding and prioritizing for a developer the difference and "execution priority" of...

PGM A:  I need to code a couple of subroutines...
PGM B:  I need to complete the unit tests...
PGM C:  I need to promote to system test.

Prioritization at this level is what I would consider micromanagement... and to be avoided.  Fire the developer that requires it and get someone competent.

Joe AA
Tuesday, August 06, 2002

Fair enough - I can see I missed the point <g>

Rick
Wednesday, August 07, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home