Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

WhatTimeisit

Hey get this:
There actually is a site called http://www.whattimeisit.com/ !!

Hmm, I wonder if they have a spec of their own.....

Guy Malachi
Thursday, August 01, 2002

Heh. A complete web site devoted to show what time is it... and it does it wrong (4 hours difference when I select my country, Chile).

Oh, well.

Leonardo Herrera

they even have the UK wrong! Eight hours behind.

Someone should tell these guys about GMT....

tapiwa

Don't rely on that difference.

I just looked and found the UK time 5 hours in arrears.

Presumably this is the free "come-on", and they'll give you an accurate time if you pay?

J M Keynes

UTC seems to relate to GMT

Remember - the time in the UK is not the same as as GMT because of BST (British Summer Time - daylight saving, we add an hour.)

Ged Byrne

Took another look.

UTC is showing the correct GMT time (2:18 pm)

Yet it states that GB is UTC - 7.

How very strange.

Ged Byrne

Now we know for that they _didn't_ had a spec :-)

Leonardo Herrera

/for/for sure/

Leonardo Herrera

I've always found www.worldtimeserver.com to be accurate.

Andrew Simmons

I use NistTime from the National Institute of Standards.  It's free and quite accurate +/- internet latency.

Greg Kellerman

I've always used timeanddate.com myself

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/custom.html?cities=22,47,136,366,196,256

Jack lives over there ->

Sorry about the broken page; I just put the site up for the heck of it and I had been playing around with a new feature which broke quite a bit of the sites functionality.  So much for those late night programming sessions... :)

Hopefully it's working ok for people now...  BTW; the way the site came about was about a year or so ago I was dealing with a lawyer who had mentioned he wished he had an easy way to find out what time it was.  On a lark I looked up the domain name and found it was available, so I registered it just idled it.  Anyway, about a month ago I had reason to speak with him again and he expressed his desire for me to actually put something up there, so I made the site.

I ran across the Joel On Software thingy about WhatTimeIsIt.com, and I can't tell you how tempted I was was to use his design, since I thought he would find it funny - or he'd sue me, so I opted for the Gangsta look... :)

Mark T
Friday, August 02, 2002

Hey,

Now it works!

Don't need this watch no more (throws it in the bin)

Ged Byrne
Friday, August 02, 2002

Mark T,
You mean to tell me that WhatTimeisit.com was inspired by Joel On Software? :-)

Guy Malachi
Friday, August 02, 2002

Is UTC the same as GMT?

Why call it UTC, rather than GMT?

Ged Byrne
Friday, August 02, 2002

I can'r resist copying this to the thread.

"Bluebottle:  What's the time Eccles?
Eccles:  Just a minute, I've got it written down on a piece of paper.  A nice man wrote it down for me.  If anyone asks me the time, I show it to them.
Bluebottle:  Let me see that paper.  It is writted here that it is 8 o'clock.  Here what happens if they ask you and it's not 8 o'clock.
Eccles:  Then I don't show them the piece of paper!
Bluebottle:  But how do you know if it's 8 o'clock?
Eccles:  I've got it written down on this piece of paper!
Bluebottle:  You should get one of those things my grandpa has.  It tells the time, gets you up in the morning, makes you tea.
Eccles:  Oh yes, what do you call that?
Bluebottle:  My grandma!
Eccles:  Here! How does she know what time it is?
Bluebottle:  She's got it writted on a piece of paper!"

WhatTimeIsItEccles
Friday, August 02, 2002

"Is UTC the same as GMT?"

No, apparently GMT is based on some type of astronomical observations, where UTC is based on some type of calculation involving the cesium-133 atom.

A lengthier (and better) explanation is here:
http://www.noctua.demon.co.uk/time/jchambers.html

They seem to be the same for all practical purposes, unless you're designing software that needs to be precise down to the number of "leap seconds" we've had this last half century.

Hannan
Friday, August 02, 2002

Amazing.

Ged Byrne
Friday, August 02, 2002

>Is UTC the same as GMT?
>Why call it UTC, rather than GMT?

Someone else covered the details of the differences, the reason I used UTC is because I'm a private pilot and all the times used in aviation are UTC (for whatever reason)...

>You mean to tell me that WhatTimeisit.com was inspired
>by Joel On Software? :-)

heheh, I was obligated to make it after seeing how much detail he went into!  I tried to stay as true to his design as possible, but I opted to not force users to create accounts to get the time...  :)

All in all it's been a fun random project to make, and what really makes it all worth while is when I talk to people about it:

Me: "Check out my new website, whattimeisit.com."
  Them: "What's on the website?"
  Me: "What do you think?"
  Them: "Does it tell you the time?"
  Me: "Got it in one!"

heheh...

Mark T
Friday, August 02, 2002

Mark T,

The gangsta with the mondo boombox really makes the site.

WhatTimeIsItEccles,

That is hilarious! Wherever did you find it?

Ed the Millwright
Friday, August 02, 2002

I don't know where WhatTimeIsItEccles found it (perhaps in a script book or one of the fan sites), but I've got it as an excerpt in "The Goon Show Companion."

It's from an old BBC radio show called "The Goon Show" which starred Harry Secombe, Spike Milligan, Peter Sellers, and Michael Bentine.

Computer history aside: Jef Raskin (IIRC) took the names of two characters for his first company name, Bannister & Crun.

Steve Wheeler
Friday, August 02, 2002

>The gangsta with the mondo boombox really makes the
>site.  That is hilarious! Wherever did you find it?

Yeah, it's pretty classic, eh?  I just did a picture search on AllTheWeb and then tweaked it a bit... It isn't actually what I wanted to use - I really wanted to use Flav-a-flav, if you can remember him.  He was a bigtime rapper in the 80's that always used to have a huge watch on a necklass.  A friend of mine actually made a banner for the site with him on it - it's pretty classic as well:

http://www.whattimeisit.com/banner-01t.gif

or in the more traditional form:

http://www.whattimeisit.com/banner-01n.gif

Mark T
Friday, August 02, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home