Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Terminology Explained

Can you please explain these terms. This is with regard to developing new services or features.

1.) End-to-end goals for the service

2.) User scenarios

Cheers!

Rob
Thursday, August 01, 2002

User Scenerio - A way the customer will use the software; a "happy path" through the software. (IE "First the customer creates the quote with QuoteAutomater, then the customer discounts the quote, then the quote is imported into VisualThingyPro, then the customer saves the file as a .jpg, and emails the .jpg to the client ...")

Scenerios answer the questions of "What problem does the software solve?", helps with requirements gathering, and gives you some testing scripts to run.

does that help?

Matt H.

"End-to-end goals" -> "Requirements" ?

Matt H.

I think end-to-end is just a buzzwordy way to say 'Complete Coverage'

ie The users requirements/goals are completely covered.

Take a look at this link:

http://www.cs.rit.edu/~csx/labs/lab03/

It give the example:

Use cases should be chosen to represent complete end-to-end goals of the system. For example, a use case called "Clerk hits the Enter key" is too fine-grained. It is only part of a larger, more complete goal of the customer: to rent a video.

I think its safe to say that Use Cases and User Scenario are pretty much the same thing.

Ged Byrne

End-to-End is kind of like Birth-to-Death.

A friend of mine worked for a company that sold end-to-end solutions for the construction industry. This included CAD, quoting software, parts ordering, specification management during construction, building management software once the building was finished, and demolition tracking for when it was to be destroyed.

Pretty cool stuff. Found out lots of neat titbits like that 10% of the budget for any building is spent on errors (people using the wrong version of the blueprints and so on).

Tim Sullivan
Friday, August 02, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home