Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

So, Joel, what did you think of us

What was your impression of dear old blighty?

What Britishisms.  Starting going up in the lift, filling up with petrol and writing cheques?

Ged Byrne
Tuesday, July 30, 2002

Did you find our accents cute?

cute brit

cute brit
Tuesday, July 30, 2002

If you could bottle that accent, you could sell it in lingerie catalogues.  Very sexy.

ugly american
Tuesday, July 30, 2002

Accents are one thing.  British food is another.

Who first came up with the bright idea of putting kidneys into pies?  When I think of the word "pie", I think of blueberries, cherries, apples -- perhaps even strawberries and rhubarb ("strhubarb"), if I'm feeling adventurous.  I certainly don't imagine a confectionary product made from the urine-producing organs of a cow, though.

Blech.

Sarah Tonin
Tuesday, July 30, 2002

I believe that lamb kidneys rather than cow kidneys are generally used.

If you really want a gastronomic treat, you should go to Australia and have a "pie floater" - a meat pie upside down in a bowl of pea soup.

Andrew Simmons
Tuesday, July 30, 2002

I really want to try one of those. Anyone know where to find such treats around here?

what'sgoingon?
Tuesday, July 30, 2002

Re: Kidney pies

I generally make it a rule not to eat any organ that's purpose is to filter out bad stuff.

Chris Tavares
Tuesday, July 30, 2002

I try to avoid eating food that once had a face.

Zwarm Monkey
Tuesday, July 30, 2002

You guys are not helping. Where can i eat those?

what'sgoingon?
Tuesday, July 30, 2002

Ah, steak & kidney pie! One of the grand memories from my childhood. Actually, my mother used to make the steamed pudding version; I normally make the pies. Usually once a year, normally in winter. I have a couple of friends who have asked for a standing invitation to dinner when I make one.

If you don't have a recipe, or if you don't cook, try to find a British import shop. Sometimes, they carry steak & kidney (or steak & mushroom) pies in tins. Not as good as from scratch, but good enough.

Now for the obligatory kidney-cooking joke:

Q. How do you prepare kidneys?
A. Boil the piss out of them.

Steve Wheeler
Tuesday, July 30, 2002

The best pie floaters are to be bought from various pie carts in Adelaide, Southern Australia, although some people also speak highly of "Harry's Cafe de Wheels" in Sydney.

Andrew Simmons
Tuesday, July 30, 2002

zwarm:

do you have issues?

minime
Tuesday, July 30, 2002

Yes, a pie floater may be particular to Australia, but not many of us Aussies would contemplate eating one.

Funnily enough, we seem to be moving more and more to American food culture: Macdonalds, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, all increasingly have their place on the Australian diet.  And Aussies are getting fatter on average, too:  spooky co-incidence?

Any relation to software code bloat is purely unintentional, right?

Cheers, Lee in Sydney

Lee Anthony
Wednesday, July 31, 2002

The magic ingredient in most british food is STODGE tm.

Sadly, in the health conscience days STODGE tm just isn't what it used to be.  To enjoy authentic STODGE tm while in the UK your best bet is the Bakers.  Greggs, for example, can be found almost everywhere.

There you can enjoy a Jumbo Sausage Roll,  Cornish Pasty or Bread  Pudding.

On a side note, a Full English Breakfast is not authentic unless it contains BLACK BITS tm.  The secret to a true Full English is cross contamination.

Ged Byrne
Wednesday, July 31, 2002

Not sure about where you live, but Sweeney & Todds in Reading (UK) is lovely. They don't have a written menu, the waitress just comes round and reels off a list of the days pies, about 20 or more I think! Lovely jubbly! Kate and Sidney is really pretty normal compared with some of the ones they have...

nah
Wednesday, July 31, 2002

nah,

Thanks for the tip.  I'll have to check it out.

Ged Byrne
Wednesday, July 31, 2002

"Aussies are getting fatter on average, too"

The latest thinking is that dietary fat doesn't cause obesity.  Rather, obesity is related to carbohydrate intake (actually, this is what people believed about 30 years ago, so we're coming back full circle). See, for example:

http://kanyak.com/fatlie.html

http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/servlet/useragent?func=synergy&synergyAction=showAbstract&doi=10.1046/j.1467-789X.2002.00060.x

Myself, I've been doing the Atkins diet for a little over two weeks, and I've lost 11 pounds so far.  I eat bacon cheeseburgers (without the bun) for lunch, steak for dinner, and cold cuts with cheese for a late night snack.  I also walk four miles every day.  No joke -- a low-carb diet works.

Sarah Tonin
Wednesday, July 31, 2002

What is the Atkins diet?

How did this thread get here?

Ged Byrne
Wednesday, July 31, 2002

"How did this thread get here?"

Lee Anthony implied that fatty foods are linked to obesity.  I presented an argument to the contrary.

Sarah Tonin
Wednesday, July 31, 2002

> What is the Atkins diet?

"Atkins" is a high-protein don't-care-about-fat low-carbohydrate diet that's said to be slimming.

I'm vegetarian myself.

name witheld by request
Wednesday, July 31, 2002

"Atkins" is a... low-carbohydrate diet"

Don't do his homework for him.  Let him click on the links himself.

Anonymous coward
Wednesday, July 31, 2002

While checking out the Atkins diet, it might behoove you to also check out the medical term "ketosis" to see what happens to your body when eating large amounts of protein and very little else.

Disclaimer: I don't say this to start a war with Atkins lovers, I just mention it in the interest of full disclosure, so please no flaming. 

Lydia
Wednesday, July 31, 2002

"check out the medical term 'ketosis'"

There's nothing wrong with ketosis.  Ketosis isn't harmful.  The confusion results from the similarity of the word "ketosis" to "ketoacidosis", which is something else entirely, and is indeed an undersirable, unhealthy state.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=ketosis+ketoacidosis

Sarah Tonin
Wednesday, July 31, 2002

Re - 'I never eat anything that had a face.'

I love animals too. They're absolutely delicious!

pie
Wednesday, July 31, 2002

Re - 'I never eat anything that had a face.'

Clams don't have faces...

jeff
Wednesday, July 31, 2002

Sarah - I've also been doing the low-carb diet for 3 weeks now and have lost 20 pounds. I also have much higher energy and don't get the mid-day or after-meal sleepies.

Troy King
Wednesday, July 31, 2002

My girlfriend went on a meal replacement diet that was all about ketosis.

She lost a lot of weight, fast, and a fair bit of hair.

The weight didn't stay off.

Does the Atkins diet still limit the amout of fruit and veg eaten?  I won't trust any diet that limits fruit and veg.

Ged Byrne
Thursday, August 01, 2002

if it did not bleed on the way to the table, I am not interested.

Nothing beats a good t-bine steak

tapiwa

that was supposed to be T-Bone.

I figure if my ancestors struggled through thousands of years of evolution to get to the top of the food chain, I am not give it up in one felt swoop by going veg.

tapiwa

"Does the Atkins diet still limit the amout of fruit and veg eaten? I won't trust any diet that limits fruit and veg."

The Atkins diet limits the amount of carbohydrates (starches and sugars) that one is allowed to consume in a given day.  Since many fruits and vegetables contain substantial amounts of carbohydrates, their intake is necessarily limited.

I've tried low-fat, high-carb diets.  They didn't work for me -- the weight just didn't come off.  The _New York Times Magazine_ article (referenced in my first post in this thread) came as a big revelation.

I'm not entirely convinced that the Atkins diet is the be-all and end-all in weight loss plans, but I *am* fairly convinced that a high-carb diet isn't the way to go.

Sarah Tonin

I'm still hoping the "cream donut and cheesesteak" diet  will be discovered to be the healthiest...

WishingAndHoping

Ketosis involves farts doesn't it?

I don't think I need to increase that part of my metabolism.  For those in the UK wishing to have some of the experience of 'floaters' try any chippy in Leeds, they do meat pies and mushy peas which is quite similar.

I'm also convinced that all the Iraqi army need do next time is wave assorted offal cooked in interesting ways at the US army and they'll all go home in a fit of culinary pique.

Simon Lucy
Friday, August 02, 2002

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat."

- Source unknown

Dunno Wair
Friday, August 02, 2002

> I try to avoid eating food that once had a face.

Kidneys and steaks once had a face?  I don't think so.

R. McDonald
Friday, August 02, 2002

Icelandic home cookin' ... "Svið og sviðasulta"
(Singed sheep's heads and sheep's head jam)

http://www.isholf.is/gullis/jo/meats.htm#heads

Jeff Hultquist
Friday, August 02, 2002

I am not familiar with Atkins but carbs do have a role in our diet...

"The primary function of carbohydrates is to provide energy for the body, especially the brain and the nervous system"

http://www.healthcentral.com/mhc/top/002469.cfm#Functions:

Alain Denis
Friday, August 02, 2002

I don't think that anyone disputes the fact that the body is capable of using carbohydrates for fuel, or that *some* intake of cabohydrates is necessary for health.

The dispute centers on the issues surrounding the way to choose the optimal diet to lose weight or to avoid becoming obese in the first place.

Friday, August 02, 2002

A vegan diet:
Protein - several ounces per day, from tofu, meat substitutes, beans and pulses
Fat - few ounces per day, olive oil, nut, seed
Vegetables - up to ten servings per day
Salt and water
Carbohydrates - for your calories, grains and starches
1 multivitamin tablet (including B12 hydroxo-cobalamin), 1 or 2 calcium tablets
Exercise - daily, minimum 40 minutes of moderate exercise or 10 - 20 minutes intense
Extras: nuts, fruit, vinegar, ...

name witheld by request
Tuesday, August 06, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home