Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Recommendation for DSL Wireless NAT box

I think most of the Wireless gateways out there let you plug a DSL line into them and then allow you to set up your local lan as a NAT so multiple computers can use the same IP.  I'm looking for something like that, but that lets you configure the NAT to port forward certain ports to specific computers, for example port 80 on the NAT to 192.168.0.1:80 on the lan, so that one of the computers can still be a web server (or a ftp server, etc).  Anyone have any recommendations or advice?

Michael H. Pryor
Monday, July 29, 2002

Any good wireless gateway will allow that.  I currently use the SMC Barricade, it has a good price and is pretty reliable.  I have heard that the net gear and DLink also do both but I have never used them.

Matt Watson
Monday, July 29, 2002

Most of the boxes let youdo this.

My linksys box at home has port mapping...

Albert D. Kallal
Monday, July 29, 2002

I would like to second a linksys. I use a 8 port cable router/hub at home and it works well, including NAT, and you can use their app to view the log files or use a third party one (I use wallwatcher). My only complaint is the inability to assign NIC mac addresses to IPs using DHCP or at least extend their leases.  I would like to make sure the same machines get the same IP everytime, I only use DHCP so I can plug in other machines and get an IP automatically. But it is pretty cheap and I've used it for about 2 years now without hassle.

In the future I want to move to their wireless 802.11b hub/router in the future to get rid of some wires and take my laptop out on my deck.

Ian Stallings
Monday, July 29, 2002

With the linksys box you should be able to set the range of IP addresses you want to use for DHCP. The other addresses can be statically assigned to machines that you want to have the same IP address all the time.

jeff
Monday, July 29, 2002

Just make sure you don't inadvertently end up providing the neighbourhood with wireless access.

Rodger Donaldson
Monday, July 29, 2002

im using a D-Link DI-614+  works very well for my home use.  I can sit outside durning these nice warm NC days and do work.  Range is decent, it also provides 22 Mbps (802.11b).  Although I don't remember ever seeing transmition rates that fast while using it.

It sure beats dragging a long network cable around.

apw
Monday, July 29, 2002

I'm looking around for the exact same thing. The best sites to check out reviews and user opinions seem to be practicallynetworked and cnet:

http://practicallynetworked.com/
http://computers.cnet.com/hardware/search/results/0,10121,0-7052-402-0,00.html?tag=stbc.gp

I'm considering the SMC 7004AWBR because it gets good reviews and has a printer port. In addition I had good experiences with the non wireless SMC router:
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/review.asp?pid=377

Jan Derk
Tuesday, July 30, 2002

jeff, good idea. I guess i'll just use static ips for those machines then use dhcp for my laptop. That will work fine.

Ian Stallings
Tuesday, July 30, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home