Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Linux on the desktop (vis a vis on the server)

wow, pretty soon linux will almost do what windows does.

http://news.com.com/2100-1001-946510.html?tag=dd.ne.dht.nl-sty.0

Bella
Friday, July 26, 2002

Erm, well, yeah. Of course. If you have eneough programmers willing to do something (and, I might add, a pretty common and major something) then it'll get done. The fact that Linux can now support a few new devices in the future isn't going to change it's status as a desktop operating system one bit.

People that currently don't use Linux, probably don't not use it because it doesn't support one of their devices. They use it because it's still fundamentally way too hard for the average home user to do anything they want to do with it.

This is also irrelevant to the server market. How many servers are going to have USB 2.0 CD-RW drives? Hmmm. I hardly see this as "news" at all!

Andrew Cherry
Friday, July 26, 2002

Sorry - there's a missing "don't" in that middle para above!

Andrew Cherry
Friday, July 26, 2002

Bella is being sarcastic...

They're probably ripping off whole sections of Hugh Wells' old embedded code to do it anyway. 

Nat Ersoz
Friday, July 26, 2002

woah hang on! I think we have our first "bella fan club" member. Congrats, here's your nametag.

anon
Friday, July 26, 2002

Yes - though I suspected that perhaps the post was intended as an opener to a conversation? As was my post in it's way! It's a conversation that's ahd rather a lot these days though...

Interesting point about sarcasm and text though... perhaps HTML X.0x could include a <sarcasm/> tag (oh dear that's perhaps more XHTML... ah the brain, it goes...

Andrew Cherry
Friday, July 26, 2002

> They're probably ripping off whole sections of Hugh Wells' old embedded code to do it anyway.

Hell. Are they?

Hugh Wells
Friday, July 26, 2002

I heard that Linux programmers wear Old Navy clothes. Not that there's anything wrong with that....

Mr. Obvious
Saturday, July 27, 2002

I am a Linux Geek...however:

I recently bought a USB enabled Camera (no, not USB 2).  I installed the synch code on a several Win98 machines, but was not able to get the USB driver to access the Camera.  Out of frustration, I rebooted to Linux, found a quick web page about doing USB mounts, and got the camera mounted as a file system.  I'll grant you I am running a recent version of Red Hat LInux (I got it working under 7.2) and an old version of Windows (98).  But the simple fact was that under windows I was stuck.

Would my Mom and Dad have been able to do this?  Probably not.  But if they had a Linux system set up and running on a DSL connection, I would have been able to SSH in, set up a way to mount it, and talked them through it.  I don't think there would have been any way to do that via Windows 98.

No experience with WinXP, so I can't speak to that.

Adam
Saturday, July 27, 2002

Why don't you tell everyone how bad American cars are, becuase your 1975 AMC Pacer always breaks down.

Solution:  Stop testing/using/evaluating windows 98.  It's a 5 year old OS.  There have been 2 major OS releases after that.  Moron.

Bella
Sunday, July 28, 2002

Windows 98, release 1: 4 years old (not 5), was released June 1998.  Windows 98, release 2 was May 1999 (3 years old), I guess because Win98 Rel 1 sucked so bad.  Windows ME, 2 years old, and it continues to suck worse than its pernicous predecesors and should have been grounds for a consumer class action suit.

So, perhaps what Bella was trying to say, is that the $300 retail you may have paid for that Windows XP software, will be obsolete in 2-3 years.  Then you can annte it up again, and again, and again.  May Gates be merciful if your hard drive fails and you have to re-register.  Good luck.

Nat Ersoz
Monday, July 29, 2002

You mean Linux is going to start impersonating Linda Lovelace? Continually lose the settings for some of its UI components? Need reinstalling every six months to a year? Refuse to closedown and then on next startup castigate you for having the temerity to switch off because you didn't want to sit there until the next power cut? Will the next version suck so many cycles that you'll need to upgrade your CPU and RAM? If so I will stop buying it. Oh, wait, I don't /have/ to pay anything for it.

blah
Monday, July 29, 2002

Adam, you could always use VNC to control their windows machine remotely so it's not impossible.

Bella, do you have to insult everyone? I guess you see yourself as the angry coder "just telling it like it is".

Ian Stallings
Monday, July 29, 2002

I've looked at Lycoris as a desktop "Lynix for Everyone", and it's pretty impressive. Why won't Windows let me play Solitaire while it's installing instead of just telling me how great it is?

However, while it's built-in hardware support is pretty good, I'm still left feeling that you're somewhat on when your own if you get a new piece of hardware that it doesn't support. I wouldn't mind giving it to my Mum, because I'd set it up for her and it would work (and once you get a Lynix box set up it does tend to have less "funnies" than Windows). But I wouldn't like to leave a novice user to fend for themselves. They'd probably be okay as long as they don't have any obscure hardware, but they could be a long time trying to figure out why their scanner won't work.

I definately thing Desktop Lynix has a future, and I think this is a good thing, whether anyone here ever contemplates switching over or even installing a test box. I think the greater the choice of OSes available, the greater the incentive on OS producers (and that includes you, Bill) to make the operating system for us, the users.

James

James Shields
Monday, July 29, 2002

Bella,

Thank you for calling me a Moron.  It really made me appreciate your arguments more.

Windows 98 is still supported by Microsoft.  AFAIK only Windows 95 and before has moved to the non-supported pile.

Win98 is not a 5 year old operating system,it is a much older.  It is an extension of the windows code base that runs back to the mid 80s.

Win98 is still very much in usage.  It is more stable thant WinME, and a lot less then the 2000 and XP stuff out there.  Until XP came out earlier this year) it was the most viable alternative for a home operatin system that one wanted to play games on.  So I think it is a fair comparison.  It was the only thing available when I put together this machine 2 1/2 years ago.

Is VNC available with a baseline install?  For both my machines and my parents?  I have used Symantecs PC anywhere, but have been less than impreseed with its speed, stability and pricing.

adam
Monday, July 29, 2002

Good point about games.  I overlooked that b/c I don't play any.  I've been on NT/Win2k for years now since games have not been a constraint..  Yes, I suppose W98 is/was the last bastion for game players.  My apologies.

Bella
Monday, July 29, 2002

I have used win2k for the past few years and have not had any problems with today's games. I have had problems with older games designed for windows 95 though, but that is pretty rare.

VNC: http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/winvnc.html

Ian Stallings
Tuesday, July 30, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home