Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

PMP certification

What do you guys think about Project Management Certification? How much of value this has in the real world? Has anybody taken this? Is there any training courses out there? Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Yaniv
Wednesday, July 24, 2002

The PMI institute has a project mgt certification.

It is apparently rather well respected in the manufacturing and construction trades.  I dunno how well respected it is in the software trade.  They have a software dev interest group, which regularly gets speakers like McConnell, Yourdon, etc.

Generally, when these people talk about certification and benefits, check your wallet.  As Joe A.A. is prone to say, it is a strange coincidence that that's the same clarion-call as the snake oil salesmen ...

Matt H.
Wednesday, July 24, 2002

In software development, project management "certificates" tend to be taken by people without a development background or software engineering expertise.

They're part of a an attempt by people without the best experience to be able to present credentials.

Thus, they're actually a warning flag.

Hugh Wells
Wednesday, July 24, 2002

It seems to be one of the few certs that business people look upon favorably.  Probably because you have to have documentable project management experience before you can sit for the exam.

In the end, I think its good to have if an employer you want to work for prefers it.  At least that's how I pick my career related study topics.

those who know me have no need of my name
Wednesday, July 24, 2002

Thanks for the input so far.
I have around 4 years of software development experience. And I will be starting my part time MBA classes soon (paid by my employer). Also I could get any kind of certification I want, which will also be paid by my employer. I thought PMP will be best certification to go along with my MBA. What do you guys think?

Yaniv
Thursday, July 25, 2002

I'd ask the same question about being certified to count Function Points.

Christopher Wells
Thursday, July 25, 2002

[Thus, they're actually a warning flag. ]

Nonsense. A close family member of mine has PMP certification, a Masters of strategic management, along with over 25 years experience in this industry, 15 being in software development so I think she knows a thing or two about development. She taught me a great deal about how things in development should be and why they are usually not. I would gladly have her manage any of my projects.

Just because you got burned by your PM doesn't mean PMP certs are useless. Just like any certification they only mean that the person has been trained in a specific area, nothing more nothing less.

Ian Stallings
Thursday, July 25, 2002

Dude you got a greate employer, considering this stinking econonmy.

Is he looking for  a senior software developer? give me buzz.

i_rule_concept@yahoo.com

i_rule_concept
Thursday, July 25, 2002

Well, there is a small catch. Pay stinks, but the perks are great :) and a great working environment also. I guess, overall it's great place to be in in this bad economy.

Yaniv
Thursday, July 25, 2002

When you say pay stinks, how bad does it stink?  Even figuring in all the perks?

Why are you getting an MBA?  You aren't going in to marketing are you? :)

the cluetrain
Monday, July 29, 2002

When I said 'pay', I meant salary. Including the perks, it's not that bad.
I have bean programming and managing projects for a while now. I guess it's time for me to manage people and may be sell software too. Hence I am thinking about getting an MBA.

Yaniv
Monday, July 29, 2002

You all lick bummage.. Six Sigma is where it's at!

Steve Dave
Monday, June 07, 2004

H@XoR

PN Jenkins
Monday, June 07, 2004

Etc:

Community:
FArQ
Fark New User
Fark Edit User
Privacy Policy
Farkback
Fark Forum
Fark Chat
Fark People
Fark Parties
Fark RSS / XML Feed
Services:
TotalFark 
Fark News Flash
Fark on PDA
Fark Gear
Advertise:
Images
Fark Classifieds
Fark Personals:

lobster_rags
Why you should get to know me: "I'm ridiculous, innapropriate, kitschy, cuddly, spontaneous."

Fark Personals Forum
Leaders:
Top Links
Top Comments
Top Submitters
Top Boobies
Media Friends:
Boortz
Doc Reno
Keith Olbermann
Pravda.ru
TheSmokingGun
Site Friends:
April Winchell
BadJocks
BBspot
College Humor
Corporate Mofo
Ebaum's World
Fazed
HackerNetwork
HumorFeed
I-Mockery
Larry's Face
Newgrounds
NinjaBurger
No Apologies! Press
Priceless420
Retro CRUSH
RottenTomatoes
SbB
Something Awful
WilWheaton.net
Worth1000
X-E
ZekeMacNeil
zFilter
Fun Games:
Tactics Arena 21
StickFight 20
Some Better Game Designer 272
Gang Wars 55
Slotcar 47
Alchemy 18
Bejeweled 70
Marbles 35

Link To Us:

Hosted By:

RSS By:

Advertise on Fark.com - Small, Large, Banners

Google  Fark

To read articles, click the icon left of the entry. Rinse. Repeat. Wipe hands on pants. 
Mon June 07, 2004: SUBMIT A LINK # of Comments

(Some Guy)  Theme: Prescription drugs of the future (30) 
(MosNews.Com)  Hemp Vodka is allowed to sell in Russia (70) 
(Red vs. Blue)  New Red Vs. Blue, And how many snack cakes have you had today? (27) 
  Book publisher using sexy models, cash give-aways to get men to read more books (48) 
  "Bald" an official hair color on Montana driver's and fishing license applications (113) 
(Press and Journal)  Sole objector to proposed speed limit change lives 500 miles away from road in question (74) 
(Boston Herald)  Boston police arrest street masseuses (31) 
(Some Guy)  How much do you spend a month on beer/alcohol? Figure it out and post it here (unless you're afraid..) (∞) 
(KCTV)  Trees continue their vicious war against humanity by killing a child (110) 
  Canadian berries "too novel" for UK market. Twig unavailable for comment (56) 
  David Hasselhoff busted for DUI. Apparently the cops didn't buy his "the talking car was driving" excuse (102) 
  Styx guitarist admits farewell tour is just cheap capitalist ploy (72) 
(Some Chalupa)  Assault with a deadly chalupa (85) 
(Press and Journal)  Blind people given chance to drive. Coming soon to a farmer's market near you (57) 
  Plastic surgery can now give men "six-pack" abs - marker not included (153) 
  Christians touting new hottest all-the-rage diet based on Bible passages (309) 
  All new Sportscenter in HD debuts tonight at 11 p.m. ET (90) 
(Some Guy)  Theme: What you might expect to find on the other side of a black hole (121) 
(The Mirror)  Transcript of UK Big Brother producers slagging off housemates when live internet feed gets 'accidentally' switched with live studio feed. Job losses to ensue (113) 
(Some Metalhead)  Metallica's Lars Ulrich in hospital, band misses Download Festival Performance (note irony). Slipknot and Slayer drummers fill in (w/ links to pics) (147) 
(Technology Review)  Sensors track strength of martial arts blows (120) 
  American-style barbecue attracts American-style gun violence. When will the madness end? (236) 
(Some Guy)  An imaginary Guinness magnet to go with your imaginary Guinness towel (117) 
  Vomiting in public may soon be illegal in Bendigo (34) 
  Today's collapsing carnival ride with multiple injuries brought to you by the funfair at Alexandra Palace in North London and The Sun (pics) (35) 
  How Reagan changed the GOP forever (295) 
  The secret tricks job interviewers use to judge your personality are revealed: purposely spilling things on you, calling your house and pretending to be a telemarketer, and more (167) 
  Famous Ronald Reagan quotes (201) 
  Monsters of J.R.R. Tolkien (quiz) (72) 
(Some Guy)  New rage: for fake boobies, fake nipple perkieness. Technology in action (78) 
  Bush declares Friday a government holiday in honor of Reagan (291) 
  Dave Chappelle: The reason why everybody tries to act like Lil Jon (144) 
(Some Bardolatrous Cinephile)  Combine a Shakespeare quote and a movie quote. Example: "Being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful gun in the world, had you the strength of twenty men it would dispatch you straight." (165) 
(WTOP)  Credit counseling company, AmeriDebt, files for bankruptcy (72) 
  Scientist claims he may have found the lost city of Atlantis (87) 
  Basketball discussion (117) 
(Johnny_Sack)  The official Sopranos season-ending discussion. Spoilers within (171) 
  Theme: Drew, a shoe and Mountain Dew (73) 
To read articles, click the icon left of the entry. Rinse. Repeat. Wipe hands on pants. 
Sun June 06, 2004: SUBMIT A LINK # of Comments

Warning: Italy has strict guidelines for making pizza. Anchovies are a $500 fine (110) 
(KUTV)  Dubious figures acquire 'hero' status in Mormon faith, such as the Mormon who tried to kill the governor of Missouri and Donny Osmond (214) 
(ESPN)  Three Minnesota Vikings players arrested for early-morning bar beatdown (46) 
(AIM.org)  60% of Americans think government should help them get ahead, 60% of Brits think it is so nobody with a need is left behind (190) 
  Man tasered after resisting arrest during domestic disturbance, falls to the concrete and dies (86) 
  Woman attempts to rob bank with empty shoebox (31) 
(AP via Yahoo!)  Iraqis paying five cents per gallon for gasoline, courtesy US taxpayer. Please remember to tip your attendant (155) 
  Low frequency hum causing health problems in Indiana (71) 
(fictionalley.org)  You are about to experience the terror and foul horror of .. Harry Potter Fanfiction. (143) 
(WATE)  Large sinkhole swallows horse (50) 
  Libya says US or Israeli intelligence services ordered the injecting children with HIV (88) 
  Railway police seriously underfunded. Need more money to get training back on track (18) 
  Gene Simmons to release first solo album in 26 years, titled 'Asshole'. Should probably have been named 'Tongue' (89) 
(Some Chick)  Since the season is ending this Sunday, photoshop yourself into a scene from The Sopranos (115) 
(Some 80s Guitar God Guy)  Steve Vai turns 44. Frank Zappa still unavailable for comment (129) 
(Sun Sentinel)  Man dumps hot oil on woman, police take him to jail, woman bails him out, man douses her with gasoline, hilarity does not ensue (177) 
  Solar energy powering new generation gadgets (54) 
(Las Vegas Sun)  MGM Resorts is trying to buy Mandalay Resorts, If successful will hold all Vegas deeds except waterworks and Vermont ave (77) 
  Today's hick blows himself up while making homemade fireworks story brought to you by George, Iowa (69) 
(NewsNet5)  Eureka. Hoover turns from suck to blow as they move 1,100 jobs out of Northeast Ohio to Iowa (75) 
(BeatEd)  Jessica Simpson complaining about not getting paid for a job she never did (103) 
(CTV News)  Rap stars hold concert to encourage voting - "We are at the forefront of our culture and considered the coolest" (189) 
  Egypt starts cataloging items stored away in a neglected basement. They want to model themselves after the British Museum. (64) 
  Huge explosion levels 2 homes in England (w/photo) (53) 
(BeatEd)  Eminem and D12 moon crowd at MTV Movie Awards. Other than that its was just another crappy MTV money grab production (100) 
(MosNews.Com)  Residents of 21st Century Moscow are deprived of hot water for three weeks each spring (66) 
  Theme: What you can do at Zombocom (link goes to Google search for "zombocom") (120) 
  Jennifer Lopez marries Latin singer Marc Anthony, reaffirming her love doesn't cost a thing (182) 
(Some Gal)  A handful of hot weeners (not safe for work) (82) 
(Galveston Daily News)  85 teams of architects compete in sandcastle competition (32) 
(PistonHeads.com)  British senior citizen fined more than $650, loses license for displaying "Speed Trap - 300 yards ahead" sign (139) 
(CountingCrows.com)  Counting Crows' lead singer narrowly avoids ending career as soprano (87) 
(The Boston Channel)  Drunk man removes bullet from his own neck (41) 
(Some Guy)  For those who already own your own trebuchet, here's a how-to on hurling yourself over enemy walls (49) 
  Skyscraper owners in Philly protest tax-breaks for new Comcast-owned office tower by turning their lights out at night (51) 
  Venus to make transit on Tuesday. The Sun is there (49) 
(Some Guy)  Waste your time at work by dueling 13th-century-archer style (74) 
  Odd folks audition for roles in Monty Python movie (67) 
  Now at auction: Lunch with Tom Cruise, a kiss from Sharon Stone, and George Burns' cigar (33) 
(WJLA)  Lowest tides in 19 years draw huge crowds (56) 
(WLWT ChannelCincinnati.com)  Cincinnati man run over by 'miniature bulldozer' experiences full-size pain (43) 
  Theme: Current pop stars teaming up with rock'n'roll has-beens (143) 
  Tampa Bay forces Game 7 with a 3-2 win in 2OT (193) 
Farkives
[ Previous seven days ] - [ Complete archives ] 
Sponsors:

Classifieds:
(from $10) 
Atomship | The Crash of '47 - Farkers actually liked this band! 
0 Comments 

An oldie but goodie 
4 Comments 

I saw a turtle 
3125 Comments 

Serious Fix - Video gaming with attitude. We kiss no ass! 
9 Comments 

Sexiest LEGS on the web. (SFW) 
17 Comments 

Gogi's Networking Corner:
Seeking contacts for Fark at Arnold Worldwide and Mullen 
Comments 

View all classifieds
(and boobies and weeners)
currently in rotation 
Upcoming Photoshop Contests (EDT):
Fark Photoshop & AudioEdit Forum
06/07 11:44PM EDT 
06/08 08:18AM EDT 
06/08 03:14PM EDT 
06/08 11:23PM EDT 
06/09 05:38AM EDT 
06/09 01:42PM EDT 
06/09 08:38PM EDT 
Upcoming AudioEdit Contests (EDT):
06/07 06:32PM EDT 
06/11 07:19AM EDT 
06/15 01:12AM EDT 
06/18 10:05AM EDT 

Wholesale Poker Chips 

Play Texas Hold'em 

Massager Machines & More 

Massage Chair 

Copyright © 1999-2004 Fark.com, LLC

Last updated: Mon Jun 7 17:06:01 2004
Terms of Service: Text comments, audioedit submissions, and photoshopped images posted on Fark by registered users may not be reposted or broadcast without mentioning Fark.com as the source

Drew Curtis
Monday, June 07, 2004

Take a look at the PMP Certification requirement - both educational and experiential.  Any good experienced project manager would recognize that the certification validates knowledge of tools and techniques and genuine experience. 

Download this free toolkit and take a sample test at http://www.4PMTI.com to get a feel for the questions.  You can find a do-it-yourself PMP Certification exam checklist as well.

PMTI
Pass the PMP Exam in 5 days
http://www.4PMTI.com

PMTI
Monday, July 05, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home