Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Lindows (Best of both worlds???)

Hi Joel

I was interested in hearing your view (& others) on Lindows (the Linux system with a MS Windows "style" frontend).

For a long time I have enjoyed the front end offered by Microsoft (sorry GNOME & KDE), yet craved for the back end of Unix (sorry DOS).

AC

Anonymous Coward
Sunday, July 21, 2002

I'm not talking about any kernel etc. issues regarding linux or windows etc.  I leave that to those who know.

But I can speak to usage. I've used them all.  Don't kid yourself, xwindows on linux will freeze up but you won't get the BSOD but you will have to reboot the box. I know, I've done it.  If you use linux/unix with xwindows to simply assist you because you pretty much a shell guy and would rather use mutt than outlook, then I'd say linux was the way to go. And of course no such person would ever use lindows.

I won't comment on the philosophy at the lindows.com site except to say I find it offensive.

Will my father or borther or cousin find lindows and competitive alternative to windows? NEVER. I think this lindows is going to give a black eye to linux.

I was thinking about this just today. I can just imagine the support issues. I think the M$ crew are very happy about this.

The people who buy boxes at wal-mart with lindows installed will have trouble and they will ask their friends (none of whom know linux). They will wonder "what in the heck is that?" and they will then suggest with vigor that they return to the M$ flock so they could help them.

I put linux on my children's computer in Brazil. No one, absolutely no one in their family down there know anything more than to click a mouse so the computer has to occassionally go to the shop. What a shame, imho. Well every time it does that, it gets returned with linux removed :(

I don't know now to get more people to use alternate systems. The Mac OS X sounds real good. I would be much more impresed if Wal-Mart was using that. But lindows .... not a good thing

Peter J. Schoenster
Monday, July 22, 2002

" xwindows on linux will freeze up but you won't get the BSOD but you will have to reboot the box. "

Not, kill pid where pid is the pid number of x.

ryan
Monday, July 22, 2002

My philosophy is simple: don't use emulators unless you have a strongly defined purpose for one. For example, Joel mentions keeping X different wacky Windows installations via VMWare so they don't need to keep a PC around with Chinese W98SE or whatever. Makes sense.

However, running Linux (getting easier every day, but still no walk in the park) THEN running WINE (a royal PITA) THEN running Windows applications (yay!) seems idiotic to me. Too much going on.

Consider: you can just run Windows - LILO and GRUB both support dual-booting, and once you've got it set up, you don't need to worry about it. LILO and GRUB don't really care about kernel version, glibc version, Windows DLLs, or whatever.

Or you can run OSX if you have the hardware for it. Get a copy of Office v.X. Done. OSX even works in Windows networks, with partial support for AD and SMB and more.

I'm a Linux guy since around 1.9-era kernels. I ran a Linux desktop for years. I guess as I got older I decided to use the right tool for the job. Stick it in the server room, leave it off the desktop. W2k or OSX will give you a better desktop experience, and native applications.

spiny norman
Monday, July 22, 2002

Considering that Linux fans don't like Lindows, it is hard to believe anyone will. Besides they had to remove the claim that it would run most Windows apps, so I don't think they much going for them.

Andres
Monday, July 22, 2002

I hadn't heard of Lindows... since I really don't run Linux... but this sure sounds like a heck of a kludge to me.

Joe AA.
Monday, July 22, 2002

You say that like its a bad thing....

An Ent
Monday, July 22, 2002

A black eye for Linux - Possibly True.

However I'd say it was more of an omission (realization) that the Linux front end is years behind MS.

Key Merits of Lindows (assuming it meets its promise) -
1.Business community don't need to learn the crap Linux interfaces [That is important].
2. Business community can leverage of much cheap Linux apps e.g. Star Office etc.

Saying that however, the Apple Front End is impressive. It would be nice if Linux & Unix flavours agreed to settle on that.

ANON2
Tuesday, July 23, 2002

>> 1.Business community don't need to learn the crap Linux interfaces [That is important].
What, like the Registry? (if ever there were an abortion of an idea, this had to be it).

What exactly is a "crap Linux interface"?  Perhaps you refer to things found in /etc/...?  These well known and well documented text based configuration files are just one of the reasons Unix boxes are used 2:1 over MSFT boxes for web servers.  They are remotely administratable and easily modified.

Lindows is likely dead.  The future of commercialized Linux rests in Redhat's and Mandrake's corner for the time being.    You don't beat your competition by emulating them.

anon
Tuesday, July 23, 2002

Im surprised noone has mention Lycoris yet (www.lycoris.com)

It doesnt claim to run Windows apps but otherwise its the same concept and it works.

Joakim Kärrström
Thursday, July 25, 2002

Redhat gets the job done - in the  no nonsense way that is simple and elegant.  What else is there?

anon
Thursday, July 25, 2002

I've just taken a look at the Lindows web site, and it seems to me that this is one huge marketing trick.

As far as I can see the Lindows operating system is just a baged version of xwindows designed to look more like Windows (eg, My Computer, C:).

But at the heart of it all, its just Linux.  Pure and simple.

What a con.

Ged Byrne
Thursday, July 25, 2002

I remember when Lindows was announced, it was being pushed as a low-cost alternative to Windows, which would provide full compatibility with Windows apps. Not that many believed this.

Looking at their website now, I can find no such claims. Rather, they offer limited compatibility with apps from "older operating systems" to get you by while you replace them with native ones. That's a pretty big shift.

I think Linux has a future on the desktop, and it will get easier, but it lags behind Windows for out-of-the-box hardware support, and it's still more difficult for the average user to diagnose when things go wrong.

James

James Shields
Wednesday, July 31, 2002

I was so fed up with windows contant crashing, viruses and other troubles so I tried Lindows.  I LOVE it. I am not a computer wizard and know very little about different OS's.  I am swiching to Lindows.

kate flenner
Saturday, May 15, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home