Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

wml programing

please send the tutorials of wml programing

mona latifi
Sunday, July 21, 2002

Don't waste your time WAP is dead. Wait until NTT roll out i-mode world wide in few years and learn that

Matthew Lock
Sunday, July 21, 2002

Why do you think that low capable i-mode can beat with XHTML-Basic which come after WML?
i-mode terminal isn't adjust well for english and cHTML restricted to make acceptable quality presentation.

archon
Sunday, July 21, 2002

The reason is that i-mode is charged by the packet rather than by the minute (so i-mode works out to be almost free), and that it uses regular HTML. So anybody who can build a normal web page can build an i-mode one.

I-mode also supports J2ME applets running on the phone, MP3 downloads, colour screens etc. And all these things have been running for 3 years now, not just some promise for the future.

Matthew Lock
Sunday, July 21, 2002

Don't just take my word for it, check out these links:

NTT imode
http://www.nttdocomo.co.jp/english/p_s/imode/index.html

Japanese Products Map the Mobile Road Ahead
http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20010429.html

Matthew Lock
Sunday, July 21, 2002

WAP itself is independent of transport protocol. What killed WAP was, lame business models around it, overhype, sucky terminals, lack of developer support and the fact that it was implemented over GSM circuit switched networks. If you look into i-mode and WAP. WAP is vastly superior technically, what makes i-mode great is that NTT got the business part right, where european operators failed.

WML and cHTML are just markups that you can learn in a couple of days, the "back-end" programming is similar for many of these devices.

Besides the WAP2 spec and the future of i-mode will both be based on XHTML, so if you choose any of those markups right now, it will become obsolete in no time.

IMO, forget the markup... as long as you UNDERSTAND wireless devices and what markets are they suited for you can write a generic back-end that pumps any markup you like doing server side transforms (for example).

I live in a european country where i-mode has been recently deployed country wide. And honestly I really don't see massive adoption. Services are lacking (and no, having my horoscope on my phone doesn't really count as "exciting service"), terminals are VERY poor (the good ones have yet to come, but at the current rate of adoption I doubt telcos will keep on subsidising terminals) and packet switched networks are rather flaky.

Beka Pantone
Sunday, July 21, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home