Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

ASP

I recently learned ASP, having avoided Windows until now. Do I have to learn ASP.NET right away, or is plain old-fashioned ASP ok to get started?

PC
Friday, July 19, 2002

depeneds what you want to do. Asp is great for making dynamicly driven sites.  if you want to make some decent money doing web sites, this is a great way to go.  Unfortunatly, asp isn't very scalable. If you want to add in some complex stuff, you'll have to buy someone's add on, or code a com object in C++ (although some would argue, i don't think thats fun).  Asp.net uses VB.net and/or C#, instead of vbscript, both of which are much more powerful.  If you want to expand into areas other then web programming, go with C# and ASP.NET.  If your happy with being a web master or web programmer, stick with asp for now.  I still use it all the time for small time sites.

Vincent Marquez
Friday, July 19, 2002

Once you have learned ASP give PHP a go. It's an easy transition to PHP from ASP.

PHP lets you do some cool stuff like Flash, GIF/JPEG, and PDF creation on the server.

http://php.net

Matthew Lock
Friday, July 19, 2002

I already know PHP, Java, JSP, mod_perl and Perl CGI. I have experience with Unix and Linux, but so far not much experience with Windows. This was requested by a customer, so I had to learn it. I don't expect to get deeply involved with Windows web sites, although you never know. I'm glad to have a chance to learn ASP but don't think I have time right now to learn C#, although I've heard it's similar to Java which I already know. The problem is I have to get this project done pretty fast.

PC
Friday, July 19, 2002

If you already know Perl or PHP stick with them. They are both infinitely better than VBScript, the language that ASP uses by default.

Matthew Lock
Friday, July 19, 2002

I know. I'm using PerlScript instead of VBScript.

PC
Saturday, July 20, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home