Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

.NET Language Choices

Anyone have any views on the language of choice for a major .NET development ?

I've been using VB since VB1, but I wonder if VB.NET is too "hacked", i.e. too much baggage from previous versions.

I'm tempted to bin VB and go with C# for a nice clean start.

Anyone got any opinions?

SMJ
Friday, July 19, 2002

If you want something clean, go with Python.
If you wish to avoid a language war, don't post such questions :)

Ori Berger
Friday, July 19, 2002

We're using Eiffel.NET from ISE:

http://www.eiffel.com/

Our last two products were built from VB6/COM and Java/J2EE, respectively.  Eiffel seems to stand heads and shoulders above both of them for the kinds of work we are doing. 

We're also using ASP.NET for a web-gui, but I'm not involved with it, so I don't know the details.

Eiffel Convert
Friday, July 19, 2002

ASP.NET isn't a language, its just some classes :-).
Go with C#, without a doubt, its one of the most well thought out and capable langauges out.  Anyone arguing otherwise hasn't programmed with it, either out of loyalty for their legacy langauge or the in-ability to learn.

Vincent Marquez
Friday, July 19, 2002

Thanks for the clarification. They are using whatever language is commonly used with ASP.NET :)

Eiffel Convert
Friday, July 19, 2002

I'm not knocking those other languages but I chose c# because it was clean and MS seems to be putting it's weight behind it. VB.Net seems like a kludge.  I could be biased, as all developers are towards languages, but oh well. I know VB pretty well but it's usually my last choice.

Ian Stallings
Friday, July 19, 2002

Both VB.Net and C# have a common basis in the CLR and .Net FCL, both are object-oriented. It's the programming paradigm that matters. This is what you need to learn. Whether you write "Dim yourVar as Int" or "Int32 yourVar;" is, IMHO, irrelevant.

Although it could be said, if you come from a VB background, switching to C# means you drop all the baggage from VB that might interfere with your learning OOP. VB and VB.Net might look the same, but they are most definitely not the same way to program.

prj
Saturday, July 20, 2002

If you know javascript, you may want to use JScript just to learn the .NET class libraries, config. etc.

If you know java or VB then C# or VB.NET would be the way to go.

For production work I would recmommend C# but you don't have to mix learing a new language and a new platform if you are already comfortable with javascript or VB (or any other language supported on .NET)

Dan Sickles
Monday, July 22, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home