Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Thinking in C++, etc

Just wondering if anyone has read the "Thinking in ..." books, and if so, what your opinions are.

Tim the curious undergrad
Thursday, July 18, 2002

There ought to be a FAQ about this. _TIC++_ taught me to read/write the syntax of C++, given that I knew C already. I read _Effective C++_ and _Design Patterns_ after that.

Christopher Wells
Thursday, July 18, 2002

Great books.  Really gets into the nuts and bolts of Java, as in the order in which nested constructors are fired in inherited classes.  etc.  Which order variables are initialized in inherited subclasses, etc....I can't recall, it's been almost 4 years since I read TIJ

Bella
Thursday, July 18, 2002

I found "Thinking in Java" an excellent book for the C++ programmer wanting to learn Java (whether it's equally good for someone completely new to programming I can't say).

It's primarily a book about the _language_, though. API topics like Swing, RMI etc. are covered more briefly.

Andrew Reid
Thursday, July 18, 2002

I don't care much for TiC++ or the followup books TiJ and TiC#.  It's a cookie cutter approach to writing books. But it's free on the Web, so check it out.

Mr. Obvious
Friday, July 19, 2002

> I don't care much for TiC++ or the followup books TiJ and TiC#. It's a cookie cutter approach to writing books. But it's free on the Web, so check it out.

So far as I know, TIC++ was the best book for bringing you up to speed on the C++ syntax/mechanics, if you already knew C. I read the first edition; he was going to ammend it to include STL topics, which I learned from Stroustrup's _The C++ Programming Language_ 3rd edition.

Christopher Wells
Friday, July 19, 2002

I've read TIC++ and TIJ, both of which are excellent. Nothing beats actually using a language for real-world development to learn it, but if you want a thorough guided tour before you begin, these books are it. They're also great reference works that you'll come back to again and again.

Interestingly, I hear he's now working on Thinking In Python. Cool!

Darren Collins
Sunday, July 21, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home