Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge work this!

So I'd like to get the opinion of people here about the whole idea of knowledge workers, whether they think thats bunk or really important and relevant (which is what i happen to think).  And also, if you know any good articles or links about it, I would love to see them, because I think 98% of people who are using this buzzword dont really know what the mean by it yet.

Tim Boucher
Wednesday, July 17, 2002

Tim,

just give us a hint of what you mean by it.

Just me (Sir to you)
Thursday, July 18, 2002

Hm. I guess I'm trying to clarify what, if anything, this idea of knowledge workers means to anyone else out there. I guess the way I'm thinking about it is anyone who has to deal with, in any sense, a body information at their job, especially of a technical nature and especially those who are interacting with it through the use of computers.

Like I'm interested in talking about the cognitive/cultural shifts that computers are causing. Hows that?

tim
Thursday, July 18, 2002

It's a very general term - knowledge worker. You don't need to use that term to talk about what you want to do. It sounds great. Talk about it.

Hugh Wells
Thursday, July 18, 2002

haha. i mean, im interested in hearing you guys talk about it too. i just found a sort of neat book about it called "growing up digital". its neat cause it talks about how like education and other stuff are being forced to change as a result of a whole generation has grown up using computers their whole lives (like me, 22 yrs old).

I agree that knowledge worker is totally a wussy word that is completely vague and generalized and doesnt mean much at this point, but i think its interesting because it acknowledges that there is a shift happening, that words need to be invented for it.

tim
Thursday, July 18, 2002

My co-worker used to use the term Knowledge Worker with a perverted bent... as in it's kinda like being a.. *cough* worker.

Now we just replaced the term with Hex Worker.

w.h.
Thursday, July 18, 2002

Knowledge worker... do you mean the people that spend their day pointing and clicking away at some GUI to perform a business function that would have been completely automated in the old days?

Joe AA.
Thursday, July 18, 2002

heh.  Knowledge Worker  = Getting Paid to think.

"Work for Hire" of intellectual property.

As opposed to labor.

Did you guys know I usedta work for a fortune 500 intellectual property company?  That wasn't AOL-Time Warner?  :-)

regards,

Matt H.
Thursday, July 18, 2002

"Knowledge Worker" got hijacked. It is now xeing used as a code word for "Technical Support person with no experience maxing minimum wage and following a mindless script.!  It allows those saddled with these jobs to feel good about themselves when explaining their crummy job to others.

The term no longer refers safely to a developer. Time to move on.

Soon they will be calling themselves 'systems architects' after everyone catches on to what KW really means.

Sarain H.
Thursday, July 18, 2002

Where can I find a job that requires no knowledge? That would be cool.

It must be a matter of degree (quantity and quality of knowledge - not a peice of paper to frame).

That bar started high and is moving lower.

"asset"
Thursday, July 18, 2002

A knowledge worker is anyone who works in an office, but perhaps excluding dealing with people (customer service, sales), and excluding anyone whose job can be automated e.g. clerks sorting tax returns or who use the telephone, also including lab researchers. My cousin is starting a job maintaining and callibrating hospital equipment - he has a university degree in radiology so though he's a lab technician he's a 'knowledge worker' too. White collar workers. The job needn't be sedentary, e.g. medical doctors qualify.

Christopher Wells
Friday, July 19, 2002

Tim, it's an interesting point. What do you think is the biggest change in how things are taught and "stuff". What do you think is the biggest change that HASN'T occurred but needs to.

I suppose everyone knows the Air Force changed its recruiting test procedures for pilots to accommodate the fact that games have given them much better familiarity with simulators and better co-ordination skills than in previous generations.

Hugh Wells
Friday, July 19, 2002

a knowledge worker is someone who has interesting conversations at work.

tapiwa
Tuesday, July 23, 2002

"a knowledge worker is someone who has interesting conversations at work. "

Mostly about "last night's game" and how BIZZY they are.

Joe AA.
Tuesday, July 23, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home