Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Anybody use the Wyde Active Modeller

Anybody heard of e-WAM and the other products from Wyde?

www.wyde.com ?

I'm wondering what people's impressions are. Does it speed up the development cycle as claimed? If not, does it at least not slow down development? If not, does it at least make development fun?

Thanks

Ted Pater
Tuesday, July 16, 2002

I'm wondering if their are now people whose job it is to post on popular groups.

Every so often you get 'Blatant Plug' post for a product, or H1B campaign or some such.

In 'Trigger' ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0006483836/qid=1026918043/sr=2-3/ref=sr_2_3_3/202-8400619-1054230 ) Arthur C. Clarke and Michael Kube-McDowell describe people who are employed by political parties, and it always interests me to see something in reality that I read about a few years ago in Sci Fi.

Ged Byrne
Wednesday, July 17, 2002

Hi Ged,

Thanks for being so cynical and hypocritical.

How is my post a blatant plug? I am just trying to find out more information about Wyde's products. I would appreciate useful comments and not postings with referal links to the amazon. (Unless those links actually had SOMETHING to do with modelling tools).

Wyde claims their products increase developer productivity. I want to know if anyone has experience and if their experiences were postive, negative, or neutral.

Ted Pater
Wednesday, July 17, 2002

I think you can always assume that any company/product with a website is good.

And a website with a flash intro always cinches it for me!

Happy silver bullet hunting!

Joe AA.
Wednesday, July 17, 2002

I'm curious about what makes me hypocritical, is the link to Amazon a blatant plug? 

As for cynical, JoeAA seems to have outdone me on that one :(

Sorry, Ted, if your curiosity struck me as being ingeniune, but the link to www.wyde.com revealed nothing but window dressing (Customer comments still under construction.)

A search for Wyde Active Modeller on Google yeilds no results,and a search for e-Wam produces just one relevant link to www.wyde.com, so its hardly a product thats setting the web alight.

Perhaps you are evaluating platforms for your own use, so you are asking if anybody else has tried it.  But why only evaluate a single vendor's product?

So the post puzzles me, and then I remember reading the book a couple of years back and I wonder...

Sorry for getting it wrong.

Ged Byrne
Wednesday, July 17, 2002

Hi Ted,

I know this a bit late but I just happened to find your post.  I have developed in e-Wam for a number of years and believe it or not, it is extremely good and it does dramatically speed up the development process.  Right from the start it has used the "Meta-Model" concept that's only now caught on in C#.  It's platform independent - you code in an internal language called Gold which is something like a cross between C++ and Pascal.  It's then "produced" into C++, Java, VB or whatever, (you choose which one).  It's also DB independent - when working in development mode it uses an internal database, you write database queries in Object Query Language (OQL) and they get translated during the implementation phase depending on the DB chosen.  It really is rapid application development.  I have worked on enterprise wide apps solely developed using this tool.

You build the GUI directly in the tool, you use the same GUI builder for rich client or web apps.  This means that they both use the same processes and data so the web is just another view of the same application.

The only down side is that it's not very popular so there are no books on the market, so you have to rely on the help files which come with the tool, or pay for training directly from Wyde.  The other thing is, Wyde is a small company with no marketing department so the word hasn't really spread.

e-Wam Developer
Friday, April 23, 2004

Never used such an easy and complete OO software in fact. You can program in Java, in C++ or in Gold, it generates whatever you want. Gold includes a little DB motor that lets you develop quickly and choose between SQL Server, DB2 or Oracle at the very end of the project. Furthermore all screens are generated as in VB which helps a lot. And there are so many other things to say...
Well I feel very confident about e-wam's future. Companies like ING, Bouygues or CGI seem to have the same feeling.

e-Wam Developper too
Wednesday, May 05, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home