Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Ogilvy on Advertising

Just read "Ogilvy on Advertising", which I can thoroughly recommend to as an introduction to advertising.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D039472903X/103-9381745-5149401

I'd like to hear if anyone has tried to put Ogilvy's principles into advertising software.

Matthew Lock
Friday, July 12, 2002

Hm, no responses yet...

Well I ordered it based on your recommendation (thanks) and will post my thoughts in about a month after I've read it.

X. J. Scott
Saturday, July 13, 2002

The most interesting thing about Ogilvy is that he eschews all manner of dodgy tactics - he's a firm proponent of honest in advertising.  He's also opposed to a variety of techniques (like billboards in the countryside) that many of his colleagues in the industry use to foist advertising into every aspect of modern life.

Rodger Donaldson
Sunday, July 14, 2002

There's some kind of irony in that the book is about effective advertising yet, I've only heard about it by word of mouth.

William Frantz
Monday, July 15, 2002

Conventional marketing (including advertising) is over-rated.  Word-of-mouth is much more powerful than an ad executive would lead you to believe.  This is probably most easily demonstrated at the movies.  No mega-million advertising blitz can save a movie if the movie's a stinker.

A good book on this subject is, _Marketing Without Advertising_, by Michael Phillips and Salli Rasberry:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0873376080/

J. D. Trollinger
Tuesday, July 16, 2002

When reading anything by an advertising guy, you have to remember their job is *advertising*, i.e. making things look better than they are.

Hugh Wells
Sunday, July 21, 2002

Matt my man!

Read through this gem like it was warm butter. Bless you for recommending it. Even the parts I had no interest in were had enough witty attitude to pull me right through.

> I'd like to hear if anyone has tried to put Ogilvy's principles into advertising software.

I have already started.
But there's plenty of common sense in there that applies to hiring and keeping developers, outsourcing work, etc etc. Chock full of goodness.

--

And to our competitors out there -- it's a terrible book, don't read it; the author doesn't know what he's talking about. Save your money. It's a dud.

X. J. Scott
Monday, July 22, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home