Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Do people hate when you send joelonsoftware links?

I've noticed something odd.  Whenever I send someone a link to a Joel article, they end up disliking Joel, even if they AGREE with him.  Normally, they like the links I send, and I don't do it often.

Also, I feel the same way about Jon Udell.  Someone sends me a link of his, and I end up skimming the piece out of courtesy.

Is it that I like Joel's writings because they're not so serious, and I think of industry programming as a game?  Many of my friends are very left-brain, serious types.  Whereas Joel says "la la la" and even "stupidhead."  To me, that's nonchalance, but to them maybe it's evidence he was responsible for VB macro viruses.  Thoughts?

red meyer
Saturday, July 06, 2002

Reading this again, I don't mean this to reflect badly on Joel.  It's my belief that if they just happened to find a link on Slashdot or somewhere, they'd enjoy the articles.  Maybe I'd like Jerry Pournelle if I hadn't gotten a gushing link too.  Eh, whatever.  This isn't exactly earth-shaking.

red meyer
Saturday, July 06, 2002

I have sent "Joel on software" links to open source devel lists and there was no negative reaction. I think his insights are welcome. Certainly no one has said anything derogatory about them. I can only speak from my experience.

anon
Saturday, July 06, 2002

Joel is great because he is relevant to many elements of software development and an elegant enough writer to get his points across without drawning them in prose. I send his links to my partners all the time and, although they often disagree with his points, they have never castigated him for his opinions. Joel has a way of writing an argument that is both poignant and timeless. I think the majority of people who recieve links to his site would not regard them as time lost.

This is, of course, simply one humble opinion and not a scientifc analysis. Perhaps such an analysis should be conducted? :)

Dustin Alexander
Sunday, July 07, 2002

I keep coming back to "Joel on Software" because I like the voice and the point of view and I learn something. However, speaking as someone who knows less about the topic than he does, I think every now and then he looks like he does not have the patience or the time to deal with people who are new at this. I was a little put off, for example, by the attitude of his article about screening out job applicants. If everybody were like that, nobody would have time for anyone unless they were already excellent, so how would a person manage to get the help they need to become excellent? So speaking as a guy a little lower on the learning curve than he is, I don't like an article that seems to say I don't count.

Erik Nelson
Thursday, July 11, 2002

> So speaking as a guy a little lower on the learning curve than he is, I don't like an article that seems to say I don't count.

There are different kinds of team and organization. I liked working at a good big company when I started ... they had good managers, and knew how to employ a total newbie such as myself. At my current place we have fewer good managers so it's much less of a good place for a newbie.

Joel's talking about his place.

Christopher Wells
Thursday, July 11, 2002

I think it's that I might send these links out when I want to make a point, and some people take it subconsciously as criticism.  Definitely they're opinionated.

Argh, I hope this whole topic didn't sound like a putdown against Joel.

red meyer
Friday, July 12, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home