Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Cost of Linux, one billion dollars of free beer.

I love the articles here, Joel definitely has the gift of a great writing style. My partners and I especially liked the article on commoditization. The past article on software estimation inspired us to implement better estimate methods, even in our small organization. I found this article this morning, and thought it might find an appropriate audience here.

http://www.dwheeler.com/sloc/

Anonymous Coward
Friday, July 05, 2002

Lines of code counters are about as useful as any other type of bean counters.

I would like to see it recosted assuming all H1B labor (giggle).

Joe AA.
Friday, July 05, 2002

Anybody have direct information on the developer output model he's using here? He references some documents that are offline content. I'm interested in what he considers the average sloc of each coder in his little experiment.

I like this kind of thing. Too bad the results are not as scientific as we'd like them to be, though.

Dustin Alexander
Sunday, July 07, 2002

LOC counters only impress management  types. Which in exchange are oftenly "turned on" by size and complexity. There's no better way of striking a manager's ego than to say: We are building the largest and most complicated system in our market.

Any half-decent developer ought to have the exact oposite policy. Simplicity is beautiful and cheaper in the long run.

Estimating the cost of a regular Linux distro by counting LOCs is preposterous.

Beka Pantone
Sunday, July 07, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home