Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

More posting, less not posting, please!

So I tell all of my friends about this great site called "Joel on Software." Now it's never updated. What are you trying to do, make me look like a fool?!

Mick Roranis
Tuesday, July 02, 2002

Ok, so who is this fool and who forgot to send him the memo about not posting?

HA HA HA!!

Joe AA.
Tuesday, July 02, 2002

Joel has a job.  The job is not "columnist".  I suspect he writes when he (a) has time and (b) has something interesting to say.  He could probably write an article every day, but then it would be fluffier, less distilled, and the reader would have to look harder for the good bits.

Paul Brinkley
Wednesday, July 03, 2002

Yeah, so, anyway, I still want more posting, and not in Hungarian. MORE MORE MORE!

Mick Roranis
Wednesday, July 03, 2002

Come on Mick... you got simplified Chinese also!!  Get a grip!

Joe AA.
Wednesday, July 03, 2002

Yes! I love simplified Chinese! I'm using it right now!

Mick Roranis
Wednesday, July 03, 2002

To be honest, I keep coming back for the lively discussion rather than Joel's postings.

Ged Byrne
Thursday, July 04, 2002

Articles provide discussion focal points. Of course, if you mainly want to chat about H1B or M$uX, everything is fine.

Just me (Sir to you)
Thursday, July 04, 2002

To be Honest, I keep coming back despite the M$uks and H1B postings.

Ged Byrne
Friday, July 05, 2002

The extreme difficulty of sniping at M$FT is that they seem to treat their employees very well, but by game theory you simply must attack the monopolist. 

By most measures, a bad company is one that is terrible to employees and kills wildlife.  But there is still a need to pushback M$FT hard.

random java drone
Friday, July 05, 2002

java drone,

I fail to make sense of your post, but since I'm interested in the "game theory" angle. Could you please post a reference for "but by game theory you simply must attack the monopolist".

Just me (Sir to you)
Monday, July 08, 2002

Was I unclear?  I meant that normally "bad" companies treat their employees like shit and lead to deaths.  Microsoft isn't Scientology or Philip Morris or anything.  People still buy GM cars, not knowing GM effectively killed affordable US mass transit through deals with the gov't.

So Microsoft ain't so bad in that light.

When you look at monopolists, their strategy is to maintain high barriers to entry.  That is because having a "dominant strategy" is crucial to high payoffs. 

Do a google search under terms like "dominant nash equlibrium monopolists".

random java drone
Monday, July 08, 2002

Oh yeah, take a look at externalities produced by monopolist strategies.  That gives fuel for moral critiques too.

random java drone
Monday, July 08, 2002

Java,

have you read http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/436071.html ?

Just me (Sir to you)
Tuesday, July 09, 2002

GM info please?

A.
Tuesday, July 09, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home