Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Barbarians at the gate

Yawn wrote:
"..I often wonder where these people come from...it happens on mailing lists as well...an apparently normal mailing list starts a slightly controversial topic and suddenly all the deranged maniacs come out of the woodwork and begin a debate on which of them is less intelligent... "

I agree. I have found that it seems almost impossible to discuss broad IT subjects on the Net in any reasonable manner. Inevitably a discussion will touch on an issue involving anything remotely related to Microsoft and from then on it seems to attract an audience of bashers and zealots that take over the list-board-community.

I have no idea how to stop it. The only places where I have seen it delayed are highly specialized subject areas, run on a short leash by strong autorative figures.

Just me (Sir to you)
Monday, July 01, 2002

No, no, no.  What we need is another H1B visa thread.  Stop with the MSFT baiting already.  Its stealing bandwidth from Amerikan jobs, err... from ranting about Amerikan jobs.  Well, its doing something dammit, stoppit.

Nat Ersoz
Monday, July 01, 2002

If we were certified, it would take care of the MSFT problem AND the H1B problem.  It would virtually assure that we all got offices too.

Johnny Simmson
Monday, July 01, 2002

Oh yeah, education too.

Johnny Simmson
Monday, July 01, 2002

under God, of course.

Johnny Simmson
Monday, July 01, 2002

Well, the people here are better at finding solutions to problems than debating what a problem is.  If people wanted to ask, "What makes a good programmer's guild," or "How would people decrease reliance on proprietary software," the response would be 1000X more interesting. 

Well, 1000X a negative number is really bad, but you know what I mean.

erstwhile poster
Monday, July 01, 2002

erstwhile poster, I disagree that the people here are better at finding solutions.  The majority of them are dweebs.  Of course, I am in the minority.

(see how this works?) :)

Johnny Simmson
Monday, July 01, 2002

So why don't you punks go debate about working sets or something? While you're at it, pagefault and forget to impliment your SEH.

Enjoy!

;-)

Larry From Queens
Monday, July 01, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home