Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Start a company

Hello,

Joel say that you need to read Growing a Business
by Paul Hawken if you start a company.
I like it but do you have an another suggestion.

Regards
Warren

Warren B.
Sunday, June 30, 2002

Small Business for Dummies.  Eric Tyson.  Don't laugh.

those who know me have no need of my name
Sunday, June 30, 2002

And talk to lots of people who have done it before, ignore advice from people that haven't.

TonyE
Sunday, June 30, 2002

Whether you agree with it or not, you should also pick up a copy of The E-Myth Revisted.  I think it kind of goes against the grain of Growing a Business, but I haven't read the latter so I'm not for sure. 

those who know me have no need of my name
Sunday, June 30, 2002

I second the E-Myth. Great book.

Tim Sullivan
Sunday, June 30, 2002

Paralysis through Analysis

Don't get caught up in reading all these books and howtos and seminars. They are all good but you have to pull the trigger and just do it. Start small and try to make money. You do not have to be Proctor and Gambel from the start.

Tom Vu
Sunday, June 30, 2002

Tom Vu!

Loved your infomercials. Wish I was rich and famous like you....

Mr. Obvious
Sunday, June 30, 2002

Try not to invest too much in the beginning. Do it one step at a time.

Frederik Slijkerman
Monday, July 01, 2002

write a business plan, that will really open your eyes.

Prakash S
Monday, July 01, 2002

Rules for Revolutionaries by Guy Kawasaki.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/088730995X/qid=1025515886/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-3700043-9984855

The writer worked at Apple in it's glory days. It's a very interesting read, especially if you want to create new products in the computer/software industry. There's loads of good stuff in it, but nothing shocking either. But then again that's probably not a surprise for everyone who doesn't believe in silver bullets.

Guy's motto:

Create like a God
Command like a king
Work like a slave

Gee, if that's all I have to do...

Jan Derk
Monday, July 01, 2002

I'm not sure what type of company you're planning to start, but if you're thinking of gettting into the consulting business, I can think of no better book than "Rain Making: The Professional's Guide to Attracting New Clients" by Ford Harding. I found the guide to marketing yourself outstanding. Harding tells you how to get publicity by writing articles, getting quoted in the media, and many other tips. It also has lessons on how to close sales.

It's a fine addition to my bookshelf.

Amazon link: http://tinyurl.com/jdw

MadMan
Tuesday, July 02, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home