Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Java Book

Hi,

If I want to start to programme in Java which book should I read ?

Thinking in Java ?.

And what  do you thing about  Object-Oriented Software Construction OF BERTRAND MEYER is it a good book for a beginner about object programming ?

Thanks !!

Object beginner
Sunday, June 30, 2002

Thinking in Java is a good book and a free download from Eckel's website:

http://www.mindview.net/Books/TIJ/

You might also want to take a look at Deitel & Deitel's "How to program in Java" , Here is the link for that:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0130341517/qid=1025431581/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/103-3169017-9801425

Prakash S
Sunday, June 30, 2002

Personally, I wouldnt recommend Deitel & Deitel's How to Program Java. It is too overwhelming for a beginner in my opinion and it has no real substance. Their examples are not particularly good. Just my opinion - a lot of people love this book ;p

Instead:

Buy a language-neutral book on objec-oriented programming principles THEN download Thinking in Java by Bruce Eckel. If you like it, buy it.

You should also get Java in a Nutshell by David Flanagan (O'Reilly) 4th Edition once you've mastered the basics. It's a reference that you don't want to miss once you've had it for a couple of days.

Sun's Java Tutorial web site is also an excellent resource. So are the Sun endorsed books (Core Java 2...).

Hope this was helpful.

Patrick Ansari
Sunday, June 30, 2002

By the way, check out http://safari.oreilly.com . This site is very cool and could save you a lot of money. I signed up the other day and I'm very happy with it. It's a subscription-based service which allows you to view O'Reilly and other books online.

O'Reilly books are imho the best available. They have a massive collection of Java books on Safari!

Patrick Ansari
Sunday, June 30, 2002

Once you've hit your stride, these will be most useful.

Javadocs:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4/docs/api/
Java Class Libraries ref:
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/chanlee/

The latter is probably the best dead-tree java books I've met, with copious examples, but so few people have them.  I never look at them anymore, but they were beyond useful when I was starting out.

random java drone
Sunday, June 30, 2002

I like "Pure Java2".  Its a "Sams" book, and like most Sams books straight forward and non-nonsense.

Nat Ersoz
Sunday, June 30, 2002

As a beginner, I really liked both the Wrox Press books 'Beginning Java Objects' by Jacquie Barker and then onto 'Beginning Java 2' by Ivor Horton.  I also have the Dietel book and and a few others but those are the two I found most helpful.  There is also a companion web site where the actual authors show up to answer questions occasionally.

hope that helps.

crazed_canuck
Sunday, June 30, 2002

I would read "A quick trip to object land" to get a good understanding on OO. Of course its on Smalltalk and not java, but you will be a better programmer after reading it ;)

James Ladd
Monday, July 01, 2002

When I leafed through it, I didn't like Meyer's OOP book.  That's not a damning statement, it's just I thought he was blowing out of proportion too many well-known things.  Maybe that makes it a perfect book for a beginner.

My view of objects is that it's a collection of good notational techniques, rather than some all-important worldview.  State is evil, so you have to use techniques to manage it.  So you give objects a Purpose, arm them with personal functions, and control information like a madman.

Really fun object systems let you add stuff at runtime, like data or object functions.

Sammy
Monday, July 01, 2002

I personally found "Core Java" to be a very good introduction. While the early editions of this two volume set are a bit outdated with respect to the technology, I found them textually better than the more recent ones. This might however be because I am moving away from Java myself.

http://www.horstmann.com/corejava.html

Just me (Sir to you)
Monday, July 01, 2002

I learned Java by reading O'Reilly's _Java in a Nutshell_.  However, I already had 15 years of programming experience by then, including OO Pascal.  YMMV.

Paul Brinkley
Monday, July 01, 2002

The Java Cookbook is a great book becasue it contains examples of the msot common programming tasks that you want to do.  While Thinking in Java is probably the best Java Text book (I've looked at quite a few)  the COokbook is probably the best practical book on how to get things done in Java.

Effective Java Programming is also a great book, but a little more advanced.

adam
Monday, July 01, 2002

The one by wrox press is my favorite

Daniel Shchyokin
Tuesday, July 02, 2002

I'm with that crazed canuck,

Wrox Press
'Beginning Java Objects' by Jacquie Barker
'Beginning Java 2' by Ivor Horton

I must warn you that they go into quite some detail and can be quite boring at times (especially Horton).

Another good way to attack learning Java is Wrox's Beginning JSP.  Here you get introduced to Java though web programming, making it slightly more interesting, because you're not doing all of this command line crap.  Everything is browser oriented.  They cover jsp, JDBC, and JavaBeans in an easy to read package.

Mark
Tuesday, July 02, 2002

As a beginner I really like the Deetle and Deetle Java programming book.  A little expensive, but well worth it.

Nick Stiles
Tuesday, July 02, 2002

About a month before I was planning to take a Java class, I came across Beginning Java by Herbert Schildt on sale for $10.  I thought what the heck and grabbed it.

I loved that book.  It was very 'for dummies' and would never make it on anyone's list of Java books.  But I loved it anyway.  It's clearly written, uses simple language, and is full of explanatory ballons and bulleted lists.  After every few sections there's a mini-quiz and another longer one at the end of every chapter.

I was able to finish it in a week, reading only a few hours a night.  Then, I put it on the shelf, moved on to 'serious' Java books and never looked at it again.  Even though the content was light, skimming through it quickly and understanding everthing that was written helped me grasp Java that much more quickly in the long run.

Sometimes it's nice to give up the pretense, and settle for a true entry level book when you're new to something.

For more 'serious' entry-level books, I liked the Cay Horstman Core Java books, and Mughal's Java Cert book (never mind the cert part, it's just a well written book that goes into a lot of detail.)  When you're unclear on something, check the on-line Thinking in Java for a 2nd reference and the JavaDoc pages at Sun.

Nick Hebb
Tuesday, July 02, 2002

It's a funny thing about Herbert Schildt books... people either love them or hate them - no inbetween.

Joe AA.
Wednesday, July 03, 2002

I had a copy of Schildt's annotated C standard, the famous "Bullschildt."  But it was actually cheaper than the standard, so no prob ignoring half the pages.

I hear the other books aren't as disastrous.

Sammy
Wednesday, July 03, 2002

I have Schildt's "C: The Complete Reference" and I've found it pretty useful.    It seems to be pretty heavily bashed on the Internet though.  What is the major complaint people have about that book?

anon
Saturday, July 06, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home