Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Prototype Sandbox

I made a prototype sandbox for my 1 1/2 year old daughter.  But since I'm a programmer, not a carpenter, the sandbox is the computer's keyboard.

http://home.earthlink.net/~daliblume/Download/Maddie.html

The intent is that if this is the only application running (such that Alt-Tab does nothing), the QUITWORD and Ctrl-Alt-Del are the only ways out of the sandbox.

First:  You're all welcome to the program, although you won't want it unless you have a kid just the right age.  Stricted disclaimers in place, of course.

Second:  If I miss my intent for the sandbox, or you have other criticisms, please let me know.  I expect to release version 1.0 in a week or two.

David Blume
Friday, June 28, 2002

Cool.  My boy LOVES pounding on the keyboard.  One thing I might add are sounds.  It will complicate the programming, but would be a cool feature.  You would of course want to be able to disable that feature as well :)

Chris Rickwood
Friday, June 28, 2002

Great!

I meant to write something similar, but I usually code for AtheOS in my free time.  My boy will love it.

Andrew Brown
Friday, June 28, 2002

Yup, I like it too.

(Yes, _I_ like to pound at the keyboard, it's a great stress reliever)

Some accesibility features should be turned off, though (narrator and magnify, on my windows 2000 machine, popped out when I was in pounding frenzy)

Cheers!

Leonardo Herrera
Friday, June 28, 2002

Thanks, Leonardo.  That's why developers don't QA their own software.  We tend to exercise the software in very narrow ways.

Maddie doesn't catch WindowsKey+AnotherKey presses.  Looks like the SetWindowsHookEx(WH_CBT) trick doesn't stop that, it only stops independent Windows key presses.

Also feel free to email me other bug reports if you don't want to clutter Joel's forum with this.

David Blume
Friday, June 28, 2002

Really nice, thank you !
Is there any chance you could post the sources as well ?

Evgeny Goldin
Saturday, June 29, 2002

Version 1.0 is out.  Maddie took a nap today, and I got a little programming in.

http://home.earthlink.net/~daliblume/Download/Maddie.html

Anybody who wants the source (such as it is), please email me.  (Evgeny Goldin, hope you read this.  I don't know how to get it to you.)

David Blume
Saturday, July 06, 2002

I need 1000 corporate licenses. Where do I register?

A.
Monday, July 08, 2002

Somebody on usenet informed me that the program doesn't catch Alt+F4.  I'll fix that tonight.

The source code is awful, but I'll see if I can put it up on SourceForge or at least bind it to a GPL.  Within a week.

(I get about 4 hours of uninterrupted productivity a week.)

David Blume
Monday, July 08, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home