Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Bill Gates@Work

http://www.fortune.com/indexw.jhtml?channel=artcol.jhtml&doc_id=208505

Great article.

Prakash S
Thursday, June 27, 2002

The link to the following article (although from a few years ago) is much more in-depth:

http://www.time.com/time/gates/cover0.html

Yoey
Thursday, June 27, 2002

Reminds me of a washed up former heavy weight fighter trying to make a "come back" at 50.

;-).

Young lads, the keyword of the day is "Inflection Point".

The revolution in software development long ago fled the confines of Microsoft's campus.

Bill G. is fighting a battle he will never win.  Cheaper[free], Better, Open for all to see[inclusive].

Press here to reboot!!!

Oliver C.
Thursday, June 27, 2002

Its always a pleasure to read a balanced, insightful piece of jouranalism.

It seems the only thing Bill has to fear is kryptonite.

Ged Byrne
Thursday, June 27, 2002

Yoey: thanks, it is a good one.

Ged: maybe the feds too:-)

Prakash S
Thursday, June 27, 2002

I noticed this one:

At its simplest, Longhorn can be thought of as the next generation of Windows. But it is no mere upgrade. Bill and his teams are starting with a clean sheet of paper, rethinking what a computer operating system actually is, from the way documents and other data are stored and shared to the way people interact with the machine.

Uh-oh.  Throwing away the code!  I thought they didn't do that at MSFT!

Acowymous Nonerd
Thursday, June 27, 2002

Funny, Windows ME was code named "Millenium" (as I recall) back when I worked there.  It was supposed to have a revolutionary new UI.  Turned out to be the ground for class action lemon law suits.  What a POS.

Nat Ersoz
Thursday, June 27, 2002

When I got to the passage about soccer moms needing an easy way to update web sites, I thought -- Aha!  Microsoft is going to buy CityDesk!  I wonder if that's Joel's strategy?

programmer
Thursday, June 27, 2002

I like the part where Old Bill says the plan is to toss out EVERYTHING and start over from scratch. I guess that means that just as your biggest .NET projects are hitting the market and you're starting to recap your investment, Old Bill will announce that .NET is obsolete and everybody needs to get aboard the new bandwagon -- that is if they haven't just gone bankrupt.

Ed the Millwright
Thursday, June 27, 2002

Its lovely to see that all of the folks who espouse everything non-Microsoft have all flocked to this thread.

The problem is, you can't beat a horizontal player on one-off basis by attacking their vertical markets.  Until someone gets serious about developing an alternative OS to Windows and manages to deliver serious support for commercial developers to go with it, this debate will rage on and Bill will still be winning.  =) 

Are there are better options from a technical pespective?  Always.  Can other players deliver solutions the way MS can, with both the resources for marketing and supporting for the products.  No way, not today.

randy
Friday, June 28, 2002

Randy,

If you're talking about free/open source, then notice open source programmers don't think that way.  Microsoft and open source programmers are playing different games.  That's why either of them will seem inefficient by the other's standards.

The fear that free software "zealots" have is that MSFT will control standards that affect everyone.  Their rabid criticism is the spread of fully-justified distrust of MSFT.  It would exist against any entity whose strategy is to control standards, especially the most visible.

It is the same impulse as your condemnation of free software geeks.  You distrust their loose reasoning.  But not all have loose reasoning, just like MSFT is actually very good in some ways.

Pavel
Friday, June 28, 2002

I would imagine that Bill Gates knows more about open source than any of its most eager zealots.

He does'nt live in a vacuum.

The future of open source is as much dependant upon him as anybody else - imagine 2 years from now an open source Windows. What effect would that have on the open source market?

Alberto
Friday, June 28, 2002

It would mean the immediate/swift end to Microsoft!

[The future of open source is as much dependant upon him as anybody else - imagine 2 years from now an open source Windows. What effect would that have on the open source market?
]

Oliver C.
Friday, June 28, 2002

I wonder if Jack Welch is despised in the same way by those who hate what GE has become.  (Suck sigma?)  I've learned a lot from him, not just about business, but always one remembers that they may be reading mythology.

Jack did create more shareholder value than anyone, increasing GE's market cap by half a trillion $ by smashing it, rebuilding it, giving it a religion and a government system.  But where are the blanks that the mind fills in?  How much of it is luck, and how much is the ability to be consistently lucky?

Jack Welch@Work:
http://www.businessweek.com/1998/23/b3581001.htm

Sammy
Friday, June 28, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home