Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

The Pragmatic Programmer

Hi,

I have read  "The Pragmatic Programmer: From Journeyman to Master" book. I think it will help me.

But I have a question.
Is someone using nearly all tips from the book?

Regards
W.B

Warren B.
Friday, June 21, 2002

It would be great if you listed the "tips". Anyway, I am sure we all use some of these unknown tips, but we also have deadlines to meet. For the most part, I suggest this tip KEEP IT SIMPLE. You are not going to impress anyone with clever source code.

jeb
Friday, June 21, 2002

Sometimes, clever is simple.

Frederik Slijkerman
Saturday, June 22, 2002

True.  Any idiot can make it complex.

Joe AA.
Saturday, June 22, 2002

The Pragmatic Programmer is one of my favorite books. I try to follow their recommendations, but there are a lot of them. At the back of the book there's a page with all seventy tips. These tips, of course, are explained in more detail in the book. I'll list a couple:

4. Don't Live with Broken Windows
Fix bad designs, wrong decisions, and poor code when you see them.

57. Some Things Are Better Done Than Described
Don't fall in the specification spiral - at some point you need to start coding.

66. Find Bugs Once
Once a human tester finds a bug, it should be the last time a human tester finds that bug. Automatic tests should check for it from then on.

69. Gently Exceed Your Users' Expectations
Come to understand your users' expectations, then deliver just that little bit more.

Michiel de Mare
Saturday, June 22, 2002

Hi,

One main tip is do a lot automatic.  As :

66. Find Bugs Once
Once a human tester finds a bug, it should be the last time a human tester finds that bug. Automatic tests should check for it from then on.

Is someone have a all automatic solution ?
From 1 file create front end code, ... , and database code and table. ?

Regards
W.B

Warren B.
Monday, June 24, 2002

A full list of the tips are at:

http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/ppbook/extracts/rule_list.html

My favourites are :

Don't Use Wizard Code You Don't Understand
Wizards can generate reams of code. Make sure you understand all of it before you incorporate it into your project.

Don't Program by Coincidence
Rely only on reliable things. Beware of accidental complexity, and don't confuse a happy coincidence with a purposeful plan.

Ged Byrne
Monday, June 24, 2002

I've worked at a place where they implemented a lot of that stuff.  Of course some of it's mutually exclusive so not all of it.  But a suprisingly large amount.  They weren't perfect, but looking back, better than most.

My favourite tip is to automate things.  Everything possible in fact.  It removes a lot of the tedium that can exist in the job. Even if creating a script takes as long as it would do to do by hand, it's a load more fun to do.  It also invariably saves time at some unknown point in the future, and is a lot more robust.  You may discover that all that boring repeated code you were going to write was wrong - you then just change the script to write the correct code and it's no time before it's all fixed.  A lot easier than fixing with a load of manual edits.

Colin
Tuesday, June 25, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home