Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

How did you stumble upon www.joelonsoftware.com ?

Joel,

How many people subscribe to your mailing list. How many did you have 2 years back?

Also, wanted to find out if you could conduct a poll to know how all of the esteemed contributors in these discussion list came across your website?

I for instance was looking around amazon for books on Software Management, one of the customer's (Joel) review was extremely good which led me to this website. This was I guess this was about 12-16 months back.

Prakash S
Friday, November 09, 2001

I got a link from the Sweng gamedev mailing list in a thread about ui design or testing, can't remember.

Something like that.

Leonardo Herrera
Friday, November 09, 2001

I saw the Joel's site recommended on Slashdot (http://www.slashdot.org).
Since then, I have recommended it myself a couple of times, usually with a link to a relevant article.

Ebbe Kristensen
Saturday, November 10, 2001

I came here from devx.com in about march this year. There was a link to the "Joel Test".

It was quite amazing timing actually, I had just read Steve McConnell's "Code Complete" and was getting a new perspective on development.

I happen to work for a company that can be at times horribly like how Joel describes Juno. Reading the articles here was incredibly validating for me because I wasn't sure why I was always feeling so annoyed with the place.

Name withheld because my boss reads here.

I started at Jakob Neilsen's useit.com website and started following links to other sites, then following links on those other sites, and I couldn't tell where I found the link to this site but well... here I am anyway!

Working in a college means that providing I publish the good sites I find that are likely to teach our students something about some aspect of computing, I really am paid to surf!

Robert Moir

A simple search for 'UI design' (with Google) brought this site to my attention. Since then, I check it almost every day when I'm at school to see if it's updated. Often, it is not... Please, Joel, we know you're busy 'n all, but even a small story can make us all happy for a day. :)

J. Cormont

A small note at camworld.com back in June led me to this site. Since then, I am stuck here and I like it. Keep up the good work!

Jasper Kaizer

Followed a link from rc3.org about a year ago. I believe the link was to one of Joel's articles that later formed his book.

David

I got it from Dave's scripting.com.

Dody Gunawinata

Yep, I got here from www.scripting.com too. It was a link to some point or other, and once I landed on joel I read a lot of the previous articles (according to my journal it was around June 16th, 2001).

I've had a couple of my developer friends (from small Danish software companies) do the Joel Test.

Jan Karlsbjerg

I got here after a review of Joel's book on webreference.com's newsletter

KLLK

I got the link from someone's message on the flipcode.com forums. I spent the next few hours reading _everything_ I coud find on the site. Learned new ways of thinking, and found out about a lot of stuff I was clueless about. Its good to find a place where I can read the opinions and advice of intelligent people who don't start frothing at the mouth when a name like Microsoft is mentioned.

Thanks !

Gaz

I was doing a search on google.com on something or other, discovered JOS, saw that it was cool, and now I visit regularly.

Mike Swieton

I read Joel's article on The Motely Fool.

ba

I followed a link from little green footballs (www.littlegreenfootballs.com/weblog/weblog.php). Upon seeing that it was not full of meaningless drivel like so many of the weblogs on the "A List" (the ones that get heavily linked to), I decided to visit it regularly.

It's nice to see a clean, simple layout amidst so much "it's a 'personal' webpage so I can cluttler it with cutesy crap!"-type design.

Warren Henning

Joel's Good Software Takes 10 years essay was linked on Slashdot. I have been a fan ever since.

Mark Brown

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So many different ways to arrive at the same Website.

Prakash S

I came here from Marcro Cantu's site, when he mentioned about the interesting read on Microsoft's .net vaporware stuff - Microsoft goes bonkers now at http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000049.html.

Sunish Issac

I can't recall exactly where, but I think I followed a link from Salon. That was one year ago.
I then spent the next 2-3 days, reading all the articles in the archive. It really opened up my eyes.

Mac
Sunday, November 11, 2001

I also saw this page mentioned on Slashdot.<BR>I came, I read, I was very impressed.<BR>I love sites with oodles of content...this certainly kept me busy for a few days.<BR>Now I check back a few times a week to keep current.<BR>Joel, thanks a bundle.

Dave

I was trying to find a Content Management System for a web site , when I fell on the users list of manila/editthispage service. Joel.editthispage.com was the seventh most visited one, if I remember.

Although I'm not at all involved in software developpement, I was impressed by the management thoughts, that apply not only to software teams management, IMHO.

this happened at the end of 99 or the beginnong of 2000, don't remember.

Vincent Benard

I saw a link to the Architecture Astronauts article from www.haddock.org, and then spent the rest of the afternoon finding stuff to use to back-up my arguments with my bosses.

rOD.

rODbegbie

From Google when tried to find something on UI design.  That's about one month ago.  Liked it ever since and would like to see more sites like this.

TriStone

To be honest I don't remember how I came here. Probably the web search for Software Develoment. But I feel like I always wanted to be here, that's why I'm checking this site regularry.

If the original question is "what to do to be so popular", the answer is "just do a great job and tell others about this". I know at least 10 people who reading this site because I told them about it.

Roman Eremin
Monday, November 12, 2001

Hi,
I was refered to this site by my friend.
He said to me, "This site talks about the software from the programmer's view point." Also I happened to come here from Sun's Java site which had a article by Joel on Dot Net.

After that I have been a regular visitor.

Girish Joag

i was searching the web for technical interview questions when i stumbled acroos Joel's Guerilla Guide to Interviewing. I liked the article so much that i went to his home page and devoured all his articles. Since then i am a devoted fan of this site.

anonymous for obvious reasons

I landed here when I was looking (Google) to see if other people shared my frustration with Netscape 6.

Ricardo

I was browsing an Xtreme programming forum, and I stumbled on a link to this site. It stayed in my bookmarks ever since.

[Art]

Via scripting.com, about a year ago. And like so many others, I liked what I found and stayed around reading.

Lennart Pettersson

I can't exactly remember, but I think I came in around the time of the article on interviewing that says the best programmers grok pointers.  I think it could have been a link from the off.ramp newsgroup at news.devx.com .  All in all, it's an interesting, iconoclastic site.  Even if I disagree with an opinion, I am very glad that Joel has taken the time to express them.

Mark Alexander Bertenshaw

I just arrived six months ago..., following a link posted in a Clarion newsgroup to  "Good Software takes ten years".

I spent 3 days reading every article on the site, and now keep waiting for more readings.

Saludos Lld

Luis Lara

Link from camworld.

Stewart Vardaman

A coworker mentioned the Joel Test and handed me a hard copy.  The Joel Test can be very persuasive when it comes to getting what you need from your manager.

Seattle

A Software Architect in our team forwarded an article (http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000069.html) to everyone in the project. From that day, I am stuck to this site.

Prashanth

/.

randy

Searched on "sofwtare user interface design" on MSN Search.

jimbo

I was doing a Google search for usability in relation to designing online applications, and wound up linking to the online version of Joel's book.

Over the next week, I spotted Joel on Software three times among the usability sites I read regularly, and found reverent links to the Software Takes 10 Years article on other sites.  I guess his name stood out because I found his site and voraciously read everything!  It has helped me be a better developer.  Thanks!

Sandra

My CEO forwarded me the link to "Joel Test" that was sent to him by his son.

Kerry Gillespie

I reached this site from the javafaq site
maintained at www.ibiblio.org/javafaq.
I am regularly visiting this site after that.

Kilaru Sambaiah
Tuesday, November 13, 2001

I was searching for info on how to write a functional specification and Joel's article popped up in one of the search engines.

Been coming back ever since.

Michael Butler

Search for "Software Testing" and came across the Joel Test. Been reading it ever since - even added it to my mobile channels so I can read it on my PDA when away from my desk!

Andy Callow

a post on kuro5hin.org pointed to the site about 8 months ago...

Pranshu

I came to a meeting in my colleague's office. Since he was on the phone, I began reading one of Joel's articles he had on his screen. After a minute I e-mailed myself the link, and it's on my favorites ever since.

Dave

Like "ba", I came here through a link on Motley Fool, back when I was reading Motley Fool.

Paul Brinkley

Slashdot or Kuro5hin, I don't remember which... this was four months ago.

forgotten gentleman

On the Borland newsgroups there was reference to one of his articles. I've been reading every few days since then.

Tim Sullivan

About a year ago, my project manager posted on our internal discussion board a link to Joel's user interface design articles.

I was immediately hooked... I'm blown away by Joel's writing. I echo the previous plea to Joel for more updates... your followers eat up every word.

Susan Carraretto

From other recommended sites at www.massless.org - which came up from a search for XML editor in google

Dan
Wednesday, November 14, 2001

I followed a link from a discussion forum of www.corona.bc.ca film's site to a Hobbit name generator site which had a link to a weblog site which linked here.

Bill Kuster

I followed a link from Dave Winer's http://www.scripting.com . Since then I've seen a lot of pointers in other places.

It always amuses me when 'Microsoft is Evil' types point to Joel's 'Microsoft Goes Bonkers' article in an anti-.NET rant, which at least as I understand it is primarily a knock on Microsoft's marketing, not their technology.

Dave Rothgery

I followed a link from www.jelovic.com

David
Thursday, November 15, 2001

Perhaps a link from slashdot, perhaps haddock, but I think it was LWN, Linux Weekly News.

But it doesn't really matter, I plough through dozens of new sites every day and I've have come across it sooner or later. The point is that I loved the first article I read here, loved the second article I read here and kept on reading. Quality shines through - thanks, Joel.

Adam in Poland

I get an e-newsletter called Workitecht - tagline is "Architecting balance bewteen work and life" (or something like that.)

One of the newsletters had a Joel article, have been a Joel fan since.

Can't remember how discovered Workitecht, however.

A. F.

A friend told me about it, then told me about it again a couple of weeks later.  I finally dove in yesterday, and I've since read most of this site foaming at the mouth.

Bill Dunsford
Friday, November 16, 2001

I read a cranky rant one time about how Netscape had gone nuts.  It pointed to the "Things you should never do" article(s).  I actually sent that to several colleagues, as well, because two very large companies we dealt with were learning the very same lesson.  One of them, I'm unsurprised to say, is now gone.

Name witheld
Friday, November 16, 2001

I was looking for tips on interviewing newbies for recruitment into my company. A search in google with
"interviewing tips" led me to Joel's article on interviewing. The rest is history :-)

Arun R
Saturday, November 17, 2001

There was a link in a .NET discussion on Ward's Wiki that pointed to "Microsoft Goes Bonkers". I read that and a few other articles, and mentally filed the site under "interesting places that I can't be bothered to bookmark, but could probably find in a search-engine if I were pressed".

I found myself noticing more links here or there, especially after I started reading Scripting News, until the site had enough references in my head to be promoted to "places I remember the URL of, and therefore don't need to bookmark".

Funnily enough, I don't have many bookmarks.

Charles Miller
Sunday, November 18, 2001

From Keith Dawson's "Tasty Bits from the Technology Front". (Anyone know why Keith's stopped maintaining this?)

Marcus Price
Monday, November 19, 2001

I was doing some reading on a Delphi NG (borland.public.delphi.*), and there was a link to one of his articles.

I followed the link, and I enjoyed the articles. And I return every now and then.

Paulo Caetano
Monday, November 19, 2001

I started reading Joel's articles with his old manila url 2-3 years ago and have subscribed ever since.  I moved to this site when it started.  It was originally recommended to me by another enthusiastic reader.

Dale
Tuesday, November 20, 2001

It is interesting how I came here.

Devshed ( http://www.devshed.com ) is running forums on PHP, Perl and other langauges.

Once there started a discussion like why JAVA is enterprise langauge and PHP , Perl arent.

and the discussion moved to JAVA and .NET and so on.

There one of person posted link to Joel's Article about .NET Microsoft goes Bonkers [ http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000049.html ] I read the article and then another one and another one.

I am just stuck here !!!!!

JD

JD
Wednesday, November 21, 2001

Clarion Magazine voted Joel's site "Site of the Month" and I've been coming back ever since.

Several of Joel's articles get sent to management in hope that someone will understand...

Dermot Herron
Wednesday, November 21, 2001

It's been so long I've forgotten HOW i came across this web site, but I've been hooked ever since!

Thamil Selvan
Monday, December 17, 2001

I followed a link from a REALbasic user group list just a couple of days ago. Tons of good stuff here!

Joshua Hadley
Wednesday, December 19, 2001

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home