Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

What *is* that icon on the home page today?

Recognize it?

Joel Spolsky
Friday, August 08, 2003

No cheap flights from here. Sorry.

And beer is horribly expensive there, too.

OC
Friday, August 08, 2003

That is the sound of inevitability.

--
ee

eclectic_echidna
Friday, August 08, 2003

It looks like the hall at a school or something in some movie I've seen. Can't remember what movie though.

Chris Martin
Friday, August 08, 2003

hmmm that *is* familiar... It looks like something I see on flags at parks or something.

www.marktaw.com
Friday, August 08, 2003

:shocked:

THAT is the spitting image of an icon I recently designed for an application I'm working on!  I only showed it to one person; how did it make it's way to you?

*cue Twilight Zone music*

Norrick
Friday, August 08, 2003

Is it the new CityDesk icon?  And a ploy to get people who link directly to the forum to see the CityDesk upgrade offer?  : )

SomeBody
Friday, August 08, 2003

It looks like a square, 32x34, with a variety of colors.

Mickey Petersen
Friday, August 08, 2003

A square, 32x34? 8-}

... ahh, geometry 8-}

Geometry Pedant
Saturday, August 09, 2003

Joel loves doing this kind of thing.

www.marktaw.com

looks like a wave, blue water, white sky ...sort of like the legendary modified BMW symbol:-).

Prakash S

It's Pepsi without the red, no?

Tom (a programmer)

I'm thinking....Ghostbusters. I don't know why.

And here's to my first Fog Creek post!

Xpander

I was going to say that it's a new icon for CityDesk 2.0 but then how could I recognise it?

I hope Joel's going to tell us before he goes on holiday!

John Topley (www.johntopley.com)

Joel at his best; he sure knows how to tickle the curiosity of his readers.. I'm wondering what kind of story he has to tell on this icon when he get's back from vacation!

Happy hollidays, from Holland where it's a stunning 36 degrees Celcius..

rrobin

Along the Pepsi theme, I heard that Pepsi was releasing Pepsi Vanilla this weekend.  Could be a good guess by the previous poster.

DWD

Aurland fjord in western Norway

B#

If Google had a reverse-image search...

Jason Watts

The sea, a water wave.

Pablo

A checkbox sinking

dev

I had a print years ago that incorporated digital art and the painting "The Next Wave."  I can't find it or an image but it looks familiar.

B#

A seasick icon.  First it rotates your screen 45 degrees, then it rotates it 90 degrees every 2-3 seconds.

Joel

This is black and white copy
of promotional image for
"Poland Now" campaign, see:
http://www.terazpolska.pl/

Aleksander Slominski

It's a representation of Joel winking at Michael when he came up with the Loop-hole marketing scheme for CD 2.0. <g>

Where's my tin-foil hat...damn.

B#

It's the perceived trend of the economy.

On the left, you see the dotcom hype.
Then, the economy goes down.

On the right, there's some hope that things get better.

Bernard Vander Beken

It is pretty obvious to me:

A white worm is taking a nap on uneven grass, after a hard working day :-)

Smile

Bernard

For some odd reason that went through my mind as well... I would be worried if I were you.

B#

Waybe it's a new Fog Creek app's icon?

It looks sort of like fog above water ... i.e. Fog Creek.

Joe
http://www.joegrossberg.com

Joe Grossberg

It's an icon saved as JPG instead of GIF, which would have been much smaller and clearer.

Hanan Cohen

Mystery meat.  You click the icon and who knows what happens?  Should I click it?  Hmm...  Maybe there's a tool-tip?  Wait a little longer...

Patience Constable

> Mystery icon: what's this?

1. An icon.
2. http://www.joelonsoftware.com/items/2003/08/08mystery.jpg
3. A teaser / marketing ploy.
4. An 084F6F blue swirl below an FDFDFF white wavy line below a E7E8E3 box that's surrounded by an A8AA9F border
5. Looks like that photo of Seattle, doesn't it?
6. What that other poster said, fog above a creek.
7. Another famous work of art that Joel will make us feel stupid for not knowing.
8. Something Joel threw together in an hour and decided to put on his homepage.
9. Mouseover: "?"
10. A bunch of 1's and 0's transmitted through digital lines and projected onto our monitors.

www.marktaw.com

You probably mean "It's an icon saved as JPG instead of PNG, which would have been much smaller and clearer."

Apart from the patent issues, GIF doesn't support more than 256 colors. That was fine 10 years ago, but isn't acceptable anymore. PNG supports up to 16 bits per color IIRC, has alpha transparency (though that one is not very well supported in Internet Explorer; don't ask me why) and I suspect a number of other advantages over GIF.

Roel Schroeven

It's a direct ripoff of the Fluent Media Monitor Poll graphics - see right column at http://econtentmag.com.

Then again, it could be a completely original fog above a creek!

Freddy

I used to work on image compression, so I think it's a good icon for "wavelet".

Bo Yang

I though fog above a creek too. I'm guessing it's the icon for City Desk 2.0?

Nick

By the way, do we win a free copy of City Desk 2.0 if we guess right?

Nick

Sheesh, what are you guys, thick?  That's clearly a "save as..." icon.

van pelt

Duh.. it's a "boss key" icon.

!

Hint from:  http://www.joelonsoftware.com/oldnews/pages/December2002.html

"It's no secret that the direction FogBUGZ is going is to become a better tool for communicating with customers. "

So I presume it's the new Helpdesk-CRM-Fogbugz4 secret thing !

Patrick Gaumond

Or it's the icon for the ASP-to-PHP compiler...

Patrick Gaumond

It's clearly the delete hard disk and erase backups icon. The small size means several such icons for commonly used tasks can be placed on a small toolbar without taking up valuable screen real-estate, although being small also means that actually hitting the button you want requires some dexterity. By hovering the mouse over the icon, a short note ("dhd/eb...") makes its purpose clear.

Paul Harrison
Sunday, August 10, 2003

My vote is that it is the new fog creek logo.

Doug Walker
Sunday, August 10, 2003

Looks a lot like the channelwave icon at www.channelwave.com

Perhaps this is Joel's distributed "find similar icons" algorithm at work..

David Carlson
Sunday, August 10, 2003

Roel,

There are no patent issues with GIFs any more.

Sunday, August 10, 2003

-- Bet 1€ it's the new FogCreek logo.

Seems this teasing news is "Hallway Usability testing" for internet applied by Joel as promoted by Joel in http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000043.html and his book.

Robert Chevallier
Sunday, August 10, 2003

John, there are still some patent issues, but not in the US any more. I believe some European patents for LZW still last into next year.

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Sunday, August 10, 2003

I stand (well, sit-down) corrected! Thanks.

Sunday, August 10, 2003

Joel needs a logo for something, and has decided to make readers unpaid researchers by asking whether they have seen this logo before.

Dominic Cooney
Sunday, August 10, 2003

Actually, .GIF does support more than 256 colours.

In the old days, nobody needed more than 4 colours anyway, so nobody writing .GIF software worries about it.

By the time it became worthwile to worry about, .JPG was up and running.

AJS
Sunday, August 10, 2003

"Seems this teasing news is "Hallway Usability testing" for internet applied by Joel as promoted by Joel in http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000043.html and his book. "

Bingo! Those were my thoughts too.

Trevor Ash
Sunday, August 10, 2003

It's the gradient tool in photoshop 7

Albert Benzer
Sunday, August 10, 2003

Surf's up! Turn off your computer and turn on your wetsuit!

Frederik Slijkerman
Sunday, August 10, 2003

Anybody else smell a new product?

B#
Sunday, August 10, 2003

Rogue Wave logo

Sean Winstead
Sunday, August 10, 2003

If you view the page's source, there is a commented section explaining what this icon is.

Brassman
Sunday, August 10, 2003

Ok, I'm an idiot... I can't find the comment?!?

B#
Sunday, August 10, 2003

That particular ICON, as is.. has no more or less particular significance over any other possible icon Joel could have posted.

So why is everyone wasting their time trying to find out the relevants of a picture that has no _absolute_ value or any real meaning.

Heston Holtmann
Sunday, August 10, 2003

No there isn't. The only comment of note in the source is the one explaining the error in 'The Bug'.

I can't really see Joel doing something so obvious, especially if it does turn out to be the icon for CityDesk. After all, look at all the people trying to work out what it is. It's genius!

Matt Cramp
Sunday, August 10, 2003

Bacardi Vanilla.

Brennan O'Keefe
Sunday, August 10, 2003

"Look at all the people trying to work out what it is. It's genius!"

How is it genius, exactly? A handful of die hard Joel fans are postulating about it on a message board that the general public would never visit. I'll admit it's given the board some weekend traffic, but I can't say that I see the vast marketing value here. :)

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Sunday, August 10, 2003

It is "THE WAVE"

what's my prize?

Geert-Jan Thomas
Monday, August 11, 2003

The logo of the cruise line Joel is on

Mike
Monday, August 11, 2003

It's just about the most boring thing I've seen in my entire life. Can't believe I actually spend time writing a comment about it.

Arghavid Slanaz
Monday, August 11, 2003

It's the old Netscape browser icon, the one that spins in the upper right corner of the browser.  Version 1 or 2, I'm not sure which.

Darrell
Monday, August 11, 2003

The result of someone who is trained to be a graphic designer.  All professional graphic artists seem to produce boring designs that mean nothing to anybody.  If you want creativity, talk to an 8-year-old.

non-designer
Monday, August 11, 2003

Bland typical corp logo. I'd prefer some more color at least, just to have Fog Creek "act its age" ( http://software.ericsink.com/Act_Your_Age.html ). If 18K readers can not immediatly "name that icon" I guess it is going to be safe to use.

Just me (Sir to you)
Monday, August 11, 2003

BTW.
Why you need YA asp2php compiler?

http://freshmeat.net/projects/asp2php/?topic_id=90

Logo image:
http://www.teamconceptz.com/asp2php.htm
;)

Icon - it means nothing to me. Just a strange icon.
Style of icon is not corresponds to site design (imho). It looks a little alien to site.

Nekto
Monday, August 11, 2003

Hackers 2. The movie. Tsutomu and his girlfriend walk through that hallway. Can't remember the exacty context anymore, though.

Raphael J. Schmid
Monday, August 11, 2003

I've just realised:

The curve looks to be based on the skyline at the top of the page.

Ged Byrne
Monday, August 11, 2003

Yeah and I can see Elvis in there too! ;-)

Monday, August 11, 2003

> The curve looks to be based on the skyline at the top of the page.

That was my #5 reason (see above)

www.marktaw.com
Monday, August 11, 2003

>So basically while I'm looking at fjords and glaciers, you can >buy the 1.0 home edition for $79 and get the 2.0 pro edition >free when I get home, saving $270.

So stop selling version 1.0 before you go on holiday?

dave
Monday, August 11, 2003

Good one! I took me some time to remember this logo.

This is the logo of a software company that operated in the late 80s/early 90s called Computronics (no wonder it's not around anymore).

I believe they used to specialize in inexpensive terminal networking for DOS - you know, wiring up POS "register" computers to the HQ system via dial-up (they had done some research and developed a semi-proprietary protocol that was kinda similar to TCP/IP in that it broke communication up into packets that were re-assembled and put in order on each end).

For a while it was touted as the "wave of the future", but with the advent of the intenet became rather irrelevant. Joel probably wants to use them as a showcase for one of his stories about embracing new technology rather than trying to fight it.

Thomas
Monday, August 11, 2003

Maybe next time I'll read the other posts:)

Ged Byrne
Monday, August 11, 2003

My first thought was "it's the logo of Hamilton City Council in New Zealand"...

Close: http://www.hcc.govt.nz/

Julian
Tuesday, August 12, 2003

When I saw that Hamilton City Council logo my immediate thought was Trenitalia http://www.trenitalia.com/home/en/index.htm

Close

Just me (Sir to you)
Tuesday, August 12, 2003

I don't recognise it, and it doesn't look like anything, so can it technically be called an icon?

Neil
Tuesday, August 12, 2003

Thats RD (for research and development) when you tilt your head 90% to your left !!

Ajay Srinivasan
Tuesday, August 12, 2003

nup, which means it's...

A) Old
B) New
C) Forgetable (collective brain power of other relplies)

B makes the only resaonable assumption for why the question was ever asked.
I'll go with an icon for an application from Fog Creek.

And i'll rasie you that it's inspired by the bay image at the top of Joelonsoftware.com

David Rhoades
Tuesday, August 12, 2003

This is some new graphic which is meant to morph according to your preception so it appears as one thing to you and another thing to me. So can anyone see what is was at the beginning?

Rod McPherson
Tuesday, August 12, 2003

I've been following this thread, and I think I have to disagree with what seems to be the general perception; namely that the icon is an original work being used for a new product from Fog Creek.

First, the question Joel asked was "recognize it?"  That seems to imply that it's the icon from some arcane product, rather than something new.

Secondly, Joel's comments aside, trying to get people to guess what an icon is when it's something he just made up seems, well, distinctly un-Joel-like.

Just my $.02.

Wednesday, August 13, 2003

You know what it might be?

A lead-in to a new article on the importance of a strong brand. Who doesn't recognise Nike?

Who recognises this?

Matt

<font color=White>The Invisble Man</font>

GUMMO!!!!

GUMMO!!!!!

GUMMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Patrick Carroll

It's either an okay icon for Fog Creek, or a really crappy icon for City Desk.

Lisa Clarkson

Actually is a nice Icon for a product I have just developed and patented.

I have already registered this image and I am asking gracefully for Joel do remove from his page or add in big bold font a copyright notice stating "Copyright (c) QuickAmazingX.Net" with a link to my site and other information which I will provide on a personal email.

Thanks.

whatever

The comments in the JPEG file says : Lead Technologies V1.01

Meaning (I think) that the image was created by an automated process using the toosl of this company and not "by hand" using Photoshop or any other similat graphics softwrae.

http://www.leadtools.com/

Hanan Cohen
Thursday, August 14, 2003

Found it :-)

It's the lite step logo upside down
http://www.litestep.net/

Nathaniel Brown
Thursday, August 14, 2003

I turned my head 90% to the left, and now I can't move my arms.

Expect a letter from my lawyer, Ajay Srinivasan.

Umm, I don't think so
Friday, August 15, 2003

Traffic signal - hump ahead !!

Sach
Friday, August 15, 2003

Is it the old logo of Tildesoft?

Bill Brown
Friday, August 15, 2003

It's an ugly button which I'm not so sure I'd be able to remember all that well if I was asked to identify it. I think that's a problem.

Singh, S.R.
Sunday, August 17, 2003

Joel made it using leadTools as CityDesk needed a logo.

http://www.leadtools.com/Home2/success/CityDesk.htm

David Rhoades
Sunday, August 17, 2003

similar to the logo used in Heineken sponsorship JAZZ sessions in Donostia (San Sebastian) here in Spain.

http://www.jazzaldia.com/web2003/home-i.htm

the logo is derived from a grand piano ends.

Guillermo
Monday, August 18, 2003

The funny answer is the fluid level in my vat of romulan ale (ok, maybe its not that funny)

The pragmatic answer it is  probably a test to show that icons when in isolation do not convey enough meaning to be useful or intuitively obvious enough to be  recognized by the end user.

Michael Johnson
Monday, August 18, 2003

As for the file showing a creator of LeadTools, that's due to Joel maintaining the site in CityDesk.  The icon was posted through CityDesk, via the LeadTools code (image manipulation).  Nothing to see here folks.

Lou
Monday, August 18, 2003

It's obviously the button you push to change the band-gap properties of a diode.

Sheesh!  And you call yourselves geeks.

Patrick Carroll
Tuesday, August 19, 2003

It's simply a wave and nothing else.

Rune B
Tuesday, August 19, 2003

Hrm.  The guy who posted "It's obviously a save as button..." is so right.  But can't you people see this is a plot by the CIA to distract us while they go gallavanting around the world destroying helpless dictators?  I mean really, wake up people!

* not responsible for copyright infringement on original post

Blurg
Tuesday, August 19, 2003

Solution: it's the new Fog Creek logo.

I posted it without explanation mainly as a test, hoping that if it infringed on some other well-known logo, one of the readers here would recognize it and let us know before it was too late.

Joel Spolsky
Wednesday, August 20, 2003

I feel so used.

Stress
Wednesday, August 20, 2003

Whohoo!

No do I get a prize? :-)

Just me (Sir to you)
Thursday, August 21, 2003

I claim my €€€!

Robert Chevallier
Thursday, August 21, 2003

Posted by Matt Cramp: [quote]"Look at all the people trying to work out what it is. It's genius!"[/quote]

Posted by Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Sunday, August 10, 2003:[quote]
How is it genius, exactly? A handful of die hard Joel fans are postulating about it on a message board that the general public would never visit. I'll admit it's given the board some weekend traffic, but I can't say that I see the vast marketing value here. :) [/quote]

Or, it's a clever plot to cause that portion of the general public who are morphing into diehard Joel fans (me) to visit the message board from the main Joel site. I'm sure there's at least some marginal marketing utility there somewhere...uh, and also I have cats :D. 

Of course, that would have been more apropos if it had occurred before we actually knew what it is......

Lisa
Thursday, September 18, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home