Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Where does the name Fog Creek come from?

I apologize in advance if this has been answered a million times before, or is otherwise obvious, but I would still be interested in the answer!

7FFEFEC0
Monday, March 03, 2003

From the contact information page:

Sales

Phone: +1 (866) FOG-CREEK (866-364-2733)
FogBUGZ sales: fogbugz@fogcreek.com
CityDesk sales: citydesk@fogcreek.com

Patrik
Monday, March 03, 2003

Its been said, the name was chosen to fit the phone number, not vice versa :)  ... sorry for the unclear answer.

Patrik
Monday, March 03, 2003

I always thought that Joel had shamelessly recycled the name "Fog City Software", Guy Kawasaki's company (fogcity.com)

Laurent
Monday, March 03, 2003

Um, is knowlege of pop culture needed to decipher this?

red
Monday, March 03, 2003

This question was asked before and someone mentioned a Boston pub called Fog Creek. I don't know if that is the REAL answer though..

runtime
Monday, March 03, 2003

It was actually supposed to be called "Frog Squeak Somewhere" but there was a misunderstanding on the phone to the graphic designers and the logo came back Frog Creek. The team liked it so they kept the name.

Steve
Tuesday, March 04, 2003

And what about Frog's Leap? There's a vineyard, and I used to work with a guy who had a consulting company called Frog's Leap.

JDW
Tuesday, March 04, 2003

I've heard this reply before and I'm not buying it.  It may have been the framework but not the impetus.

Anyone?

B#
Tuesday, March 04, 2003

Good question.  It's a good name.  It's particularly interesting because it SOUNDS like a place out West, like Colorado or Utah, and so it sort of tickles one's imagination to learn that the company is in Manhattan.

I don't know if this played any role in Joel's choice of names, but I think the Internet has driven people to new heights of originality in search of a company name.

You have to name a new company something that is unique enough that a Google search will not pull up a million irrelevant records.  And yet it has to be short enough to be memorable.

I witness this phenomenon occurring in the names of rock groups.  Blink 182?  I am sure the Internet had a lot to do with the choice of that name.  Billy Corgan's new band, Zwan?  I heard some people asking, "Why did he not just call it Swan?"  Because he couldn't get the domain name Swan, and doing a search on a nonsense word like Zwan will only pull up hits related to the band.

So my guess about Fog Creek is that it is a non-existent place, but it creates the aura that the founder wants to cultivate, with cozy and personal associations.

programmer
Tuesday, March 04, 2003

Fog Creek exists in 5 locations that I can find.  3 in Alaska, 1 in BC and 1 in South Dakota.

I thought that Joels cc bike tour sent him close to or through South Dakota but apparently not.

oh well, another theory shot to hell.

B#
Tuesday, March 04, 2003

Anyone know what Fog Creek is in yiddish?  I'm going to figger this out if it kills... well, maybe not me, but something killable (Black Adder!)

B#
Tuesday, March 04, 2003

Notice who hasn't weighed in on this yet... bwah hah hah...

Bored Bystander
Tuesday, March 04, 2003

No that completely escaped my notice... thanks!

B#
Tuesday, March 04, 2003

Ok Joel

What happened in Frog Creek?

B#
Tuesday, March 04, 2003

Bored,

...chances are we will not find out from Joel in this thread, we have had threads like this before. Didnt work then, I would be surprised if it does this time around :)

Patrik
Wednesday, March 05, 2003

Fog Creek is the name of the mountain compound located in the badlands of North Dakota from which Joel spreads his propaganda of disinformation. Including who he really is and what he is affiliated with. I'm on to you Joel and I'm on to your little dog too! I have copies of your plans and I will expose them on this very message board this Thursday at 3:31 PM EST or possible Friday at 2:37, depending on if I can get a ride to the internet cafe, but I digress. Again. I am on to you.

trollbooth

I hesitate only slightly but...

LMAO

B#

I think Joel staying out of threads like this is his way of saying "kitchee koo!" and irritating the hell out of people that are obsessed with his thinking.

Me... I have my own thoughts. I'm glad Joel has his, too.

And where would we be without thoughts?

I like thoughts. Thoughts are good. Oh, look at the pretty birdy...

:-)

Bored Bystander

Obsessed!  I'm not obsessed!  I don't know how you could call it obsessed when I'm not obsessed.  I can stop anytime I ...

And btw, Kitchee koo?!?!

B#

Yes, Kitchee koo.

It's actually the fax number for Fog Creek Software.

Dunno Wair

When I set up phone service in my latest apartment, I was given three options... I chose:

787-2347

Cheating with an extra character, this spells "SupaFish".  I couldn't resist...

SupaFish Software... hm...

Mr. Not-Revealing-My-Area-Code

Are you suggesting that Fog Creek Software was so named because Joel, who plans like a Melvin Udahl, had no idea what his company would be named until he got his phone number selections from the Phone Depot?  Hmm... Maybe!

Fig Crock, Fog Crack, Fig Cheek...

B#
Thursday, March 06, 2003

There's a Fog Creek in Ista, British Columbia...

Do you think that maybe Joel's software company is merely an umbrella corporation for a morally bankrupt logging company engaged in the deforestation of the Canadian hinterland?

That would explain his near-phobic aversion to maple syrup...

Dunno Wair
Thursday, March 06, 2003

You may be on to something here...  So then Fog Bugz would actually be the Chemical Weapons Division and CityDesk the dis-information bureau...  This is double-plus-ungood.

My Alcan hat seems to have slipped.

B#
Thursday, March 06, 2003

The fat man walks alone

REPEAT

The fat man walks alone

B#
Thursday, March 06, 2003

Understood.

Will wait in the dry goods aisle for the blue light special.

End transmission.

Dunno Wair
Thursday, March 06, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home