Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Google

Some years down the line, will we be saying that today, Aug. 19, 2004, was the day that Google's downfall began?

I mean, how can a company reconsile "Don't be Evil" when they have to answer to shareholders first, users second?

Yoey
Thursday, August 19, 2004

What % of the total company do today's shares represent? If it's only, say, 15%, is there a legal way for minority shareholders to force the company into doing things the major shareholders don't want to do?

Fred

Google management is clearly incredibly niave.  I expect in the long run, they'll be given the run around by competitors and slowly fade away into insignificance.

no google by 2015

Google is not at the bek and call of public shareholders b/c of the way they structured the deal: the founders and the management team own a higher class of shares than the public, so they, and not the public shareholders retain control.

This was one of the things that made their IPO unique.

On the other hand, now that they made billions in search, other companies (cue shark music from Jaws), are going to pay attention to it too, and Google's business model will come under pressure.

Only time will tell who'll win that battle.

Chill

Google founders and senior management hold special shares each such share is equal to 10 shares sold to the unwashed masses. 

"Do no evil" is good except that I think google thinks being greedy is not evil :-)

Code Monkey

Greed is in the eye of the beholder.  And I'd rather be holding some cash personally.

Anyhow, off topic: Michael Moore is a big fat rich white guy (in case nobobdy noticed).

Hey, y'know what?  I ran into that big fat rich white guy in Seattle this summer.  My wife and I were celebrating our anniversary and went to the Met Grill downtown (easily a $200/plate affair).  Who is there, clogging up the doorway but the large man hisself.

Unlike Ralph Nader, Moore doesn't consider the indulgences of capitalism to be in conflict with a world view that protests such things.  Nor the Kennedys.

There are few people in this world that can criticize greed with any credibility.  Nader is one. Not that I agree with him, but he certainly gets my respect.

hoser

nazi

FWIW, I understand Ted Kennedy got burned by the "No fly" list today - couldn't board a plane. He earned back a lot of my respect when his reaction was "My god - this was a pain for me, imagine what it would be like for Joe Normal?"

Bravo!

Philo

Philo

> There are few people in this world that can criticize greed > with any credibility.  Nader is one. Not that I agree with
> him, but he certainly gets my respect.

Not that he's not above, say, stiffing people who've worked for him and then shutting down his office to get the hell away from them....
http://stevegilliard.blogspot.com/2004/07/nader-steals-from-homeless.html

Back on topic, didn't Google only sell non-voting stock in this IPO?  Ie, none of the new shareholders have any say in how the company gets run at all, so they can't affect (directly, at any rate) how the company gets run.

Of course, there's an argument that that could be considered a violation of the "Do no evil" precept in itself....

JP
Friday, August 20, 2004

To everyone who's so sure of Google's downfall: Either A) set up a margin account at a brokerage, and short sell Google's stock, or B) give it a rest.

Rob VH
Friday, August 20, 2004

JP,

The IPO stock has one vote per share. The Class B shares that the founders hold have 10 votes per share. You can look up the breakout of Class A and B shares on yahoo finance.

Rob VH
Friday, August 20, 2004

Ah, thanks for the info, Rob

JP
Friday, August 20, 2004

> There are few people in this world that can criticize greed with any credibility.  Nader is one.

Apparently the Republicans are helping his campaign: wanting to split the Democratic vote.

Christopher Wells
Friday, August 20, 2004

Funny, looking at Google's chart for the past 2 days, it looks like most management's predictions for growth, but in reverse.

"We're hovering around 100 now with no real signs of growth, but under my leadership and with your hard work we'll get to 140 in no time."

I wonder how many people are avoiding the stock just because of that line. Do you think everyone looking at that chart understands what happened there?

www.MarkTAW.com
Friday, August 20, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home