Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

I am fragile

Certain incidents turn a marrow somewhere deep inside you. I've just met with one of those only a few lapses awhile back.

Forever and a million moments, I have cherished dearly, a dream - I will work for Microsoft. My girlfriend, she pledged a bait with the fulfilment of my pie-in-the-sky. My mom, I relate to her, with much exaggeration, the fruit of material attainment that is bestowed on those who are able to see their way through the keepers. With every passing moment, my resolution to join the best of brains in the industry grows even stronger, and my imagination wilder. I treat my senses with the galore of wealth and talent that Microsoft rears. There has been no end to my dreaming, and today, Microsoft to me is like the coveted maiden that I want to possess. The one that I would not bear being unpossessed. The one I wouldn't stand for anything, being stolen possession of by another.

The morning was fresh and oblivious, a moment ago, till I was interrupted by a colleague who muttered into my ears, "I must leave now. Would you like to have tea with me so we could talk?". I was startled. He led me through the corridoor to our canteen hall where we helped ourselves with a cup each. He broke news to me that he had put in his resignation. I was really happy for him. Of curiosity, I asked, "So, where to?".

"Microsoft, Hyderabad!"

I was stabbed!

The virtuous bonhomie for my friend that I was subject to a while ago melted down to an emberous pile of dejection, jealousy and wounded pride. Inside me, I was blubbering loud at the cruelty of fate. I was bleeding tears. What followed was a forty minute nurrative of every little detail he could salvage of his memory, about the four month long interview process. It was difficult for me to cope, swallowing the hiatus in my breath and taking pauses with every few breaths. I wasn't at ease with myself and my respiratory rythm couldn't find its equilibrium. "How could someone else I know join Microsoft when I have been dreaming about it since Adam? How could someone steal away from me that which was destined to be mine? How could someone else get the fruit of my labour? I've been at work. What about me, O lord? What about me?"

I am fragile. I have been bruised.

Sathyaish Chakravarthy
Tuesday, June 08, 2004

have you applied or did you just expect them to come for you?

Fothy
Tuesday, June 08, 2004

Not in the last 3 years. I didn't apply because:

(1) I thought I must be worthy of applying first. Although I do consider myself good, very good, but somehow the benchmark I keep for Microsoft's expectations always grows higher above and I when I review my skills, I believe I must practice more and more. Some more. A little more and then I'll face them. But having heard from the guy, I want to apply JUST NOW!!! I am choked.

(2) The resume I wrote I wont send to Microsoft. Although, following Joel's advise and my own instinct I try to communicate and bring out the person that I am even in resumes and cover letters I write, yet there has been some amount, albeit a very insignificant one, of window dressing in my resume. And I DONT want that to go to Microsoft. I want to come clean to Microsoft and present what I actually am.

(3) I know I am very very very good at my work, but yet, when I look back, I see my main skill set has been Visual Basic. Coupled with that I know a little bit of C, a good deal of Win32 API programming and am picking up some C# and VB.NET. I don't know if my skills will be needed. But I am a good learner, so I may stand a chance. Beside, most importantly I think I am the template that Microsoft requires, so they'll hire me, this I know for sure.

But something of the three reasons has always dilly-dallied my initiative. NOW I AM GOING TO WRITE MY RESUME, COME WHAT MAY. I will take out some time and write my resume.

One more problem, when I give my resume and write cover letters for every individual vaccancy (I used to, in the last 1 year I haven't because my eyes are fixed on MSFT. If anywhere it will ONLY BE Microsoft and none else), some people mocked at me because they wanted the cliche'd cover letters and crisp resumes, whereas my resume actually talked only about things I had _actually_ done and known. So, Joel's good advise and my instinct didn't win the day.

Sathyaish Chakravarthy
Tuesday, June 08, 2004

a lot of people waiting for something and always say "sometime, when i'll be prepared". but this sometime is always in the future 5 years from where are you currently.

Tuesday, June 08, 2004

You mean if one has to do something, then NOW is the moment to do it?

Sathyaish Chakravarthy
Tuesday, June 08, 2004

You'll never know until you try.  You may not get the answer you like but you will get an answer.  And even if the answer is the wrong one (rejection)- you WILL learn and grow in the process.  Dont be afraid of failure- The more you try things the more you may fail but you will also succeed more.  You will come to understand yourself more in this process.  As the saying goes (or something similar)- "It is better to have tried and failed than never to have tried at all"

Mike

Here's a story/joke to make help make the point:

A very devout woman needs financial help (alot of it- sick family, many bills, etc...).  She prays that she will win the lottery so that she can use this money to provide for her family.  She doesnt win.  She prays each week on the day of the big lottery and ask to win.  Never wins.  She dies and goes to heavan.  At the foot of her creator, she was sad and angry- "I have been devout all my life and provided for my family to the best of my ability.  I needed your help to win the lottery but you never helped me! Why?"  And her creator answered- "Why did you not buy a lottery ticket?"....

MikeG
Tuesday, June 08, 2004

Thanks, Mke. I am going to send my resume tomorrow itself after I've spent time tonight re-writing it. Another cause for anguish is that the guy who got in and had the tale to tell me is not all that great. I dare say that but it is true. I mean I very well _DESERVE_ being there.

Sathyaish chakravarthy
Tuesday, June 08, 2004

Please don't take this as Microsoft bashing (because it's factually correct) but:

If Microsoft only employ the very best people in all disciplines why are their products so shite in certain respects?

Are you sure you have to be that good to work there?

I can understand small ISVs releasing products that are imperfect because they suffer many constraints. Most of these constraints can be relieved with money and Microsoft have plenty of that so why do they produce products that are so flawed? Unless they are doing it on purpose, but I'd suggest that that isn't tremendously smart either.

gwyn
Tuesday, June 08, 2004

BTW, which would be the best route to send my resume:

(1) Microsoft careers website
(2) Email HR
(3) Through a consultant

And how long a wait is it before the HR reps are Microsoft get back to you if you post your resume on the careers site?

Sathyaish Chakravarthy
Tuesday, June 08, 2004

(4) through your friend that's just starting there.

At our company at least referrals are the most likely way to get an interview, and there's probably a referral bonus for your friend too if it all works out.

R1ch
Tuesday, June 08, 2004

The people at Microsoft are really smart. Their collective thinking is very organized and co-ordinated. The way they conduct interviews, the way Joel describes managers try not to interfere with developers' work. The load of writings I've read, the nurrative of my co-worker, the tonnes of information I've read, the influence I've built in my mind are some of the reasons I fancy working there. They _really_ are smart people. My co-worker was telling me, they don't bother about anything else except what's in your head. The interviewer eased him with, "You can roll on the floor, or pull your hair. No problems! Think it over, take your time but give me what you're thinking." when he was stuck with a question.

Plus, if you go to Channel 9 or search some Usenet groups for "Working at Microsoft", you would find some good reading on the subject. And Bill Hill's post on Channel9, he says, "they don't bother what you're wearing, or what school you've been to or what degree you have...All they wanted to know was what was in my head and how that could help the company."

And, as a conclusive remark, I'd like to say, please don't take offence but name one company or product that is flawless on all accounts?

The world is built on imperfection and that sustains the natural balance. Perfection is an abstraction, like infinity: the father you try, the father it gets. It would only be immature to expect anyone to be perfect or churn out impeccably perfect products all the time.

Even GE, that brags about six-sigma doesn't comply to the 1 defect in a 3.5 million observations rule. Nothing is perfect.

Sathyaish Chakravarthy
Tuesday, June 08, 2004

Philo, where are you?

I've found that if I want to get into a particular position, there are a few simple steps.  One, find a comparable position and look at the requirments.  Figure out where you qualify and where you don't, then use that as a model of what to focus on in your studies and skills.  Also, if you can find that comparable position in a "Junior" role, it might be a good intermediary if you don't fid the mid-level or senior requirements.

KC
Tuesday, June 08, 2004

Right Now, Don't Wait 'Till Tommorrow.  Right Now, Come On! It's Everything... Right Now.

Van Halen
Tuesday, June 08, 2004

Sathyaish,

I had my shot at an interview with Microsoft about a year and a half ago.  It was my once in a life time oppurtunity.  I went thrrough several tough phone interviews and finally got invited to come to Redmond.  I was nervous as hell.  On the big day I answered every puzzle, coded every challenge on the white board, and had some of my best interviews with my potential co-workers.  But I blew with the PM.  He asked me question about something on my resume and I screwed it up pretty good.  If I was him I wouldn't have hired me either even after all of my interviews with the developers on the team.  I was devastated.  But fate works in stange ways.  About a year later I landed a real nice job that has worked very well for me and my family.  "Some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers"

Bill Rushmore
Tuesday, June 08, 2004

Sathyaish: if you ask these type of questions i'm not sure you reached a pro status yet but only a wannabe status. keep working and spend serious time on that and not on this forum.

Tuesday, June 08, 2004

What's pro status as opposed to wannabe status? I can't help assuming the meanings. Could you please elaborate? Are you saying I must spend more time programming if I want to join Microsoft than spend time here?

Sathyaish Chakravarthy
Tuesday, June 08, 2004

What he means, and I whole heartedly agree, is stop wanting pats on your back, and that too so desperately.

Just do you job, or send in that resume or make that call. You'll get what want or what you deserve, whichever is the lesser.

Feynman's Electron
Tuesday, June 08, 2004

Sathyashish

If you want to work for Microsoft, apply. It's the only way. Try every means; mail their jobs site, mail their HR, mail their consultants.

Microsoft is always looking for smart people. One good way of getting noticed is be active; be visible. Run a user group. Participate in online forums. Become an MVP. Attend local Microsoft events. Maybe speak at one. Microsoft always looks for good speakers.

Development is only one of the jobs available at Microsoft. There are several others. See if you fit one of those.

And stay with it. You'll get there.

Like you, it was my life's dream to work at Microsoft, long before they became cool (which in turn was long before they became uncool...I'm talking late 80s here). And I was at a disadvantage because I never finished high school. In fact, I had and have NO formal qualifications. But you know what? I did get that job. I did work for Microsoft.

So, don't feel sorry for yourself. Apply, NOW. If you are as good as you think you are, you'll get hired. If you don't, wait a while and apply again. In a language you understand.

Do
    PrepareYourself()
    Apply()
Until Hired()

:-)

Raj Chaudhuri
Tuesday, June 08, 2004

Sathyaish:
How old are you?

Consultant
Tuesday, June 08, 2004

> and my imagination wilder.

I've worked at some big companies: IBM and Nortel.

They were OK places. The biggest lesson that I took from working there was: if I can work with them, I am also able to work without them.

> The one that I would not bear being unpossessed.

Suffering is attachment. :-)

You write pretty well, by the way, Sathyaish. If you were to write a novel in English, I would like to buy a copy.

> I believe I must practice more and more.

You may be right. Some places (I don't know Microsoft) will also hire juniors based on talent instead of knowledge or experience.

> window dressing in my resume. And I DONT want that to go to Microsoft.

Good for you. If I interviewa person it's because I like their resume; almost the only thing I'm looking for an interview is evidence of window-dressing.

> I know I am very very very good at my work, but yet, when I look back, I see my main skill set has been Visual Basic.

Does that mean that your very very very good only with Visual Basic? Or are you good with people, requirements, etc.?

> My co-worker was telling me, they don't bother about anything else except what's in your head.

Isn't that true of any company, not only Microsoft? Sure, at IBM I wore a suit ... but I always thought of that as irrelevent.

Christopher Wells
Tuesday, June 08, 2004

"One good way of getting noticed is be active; be visible. Run a user group. Participate in online forums."

Talking about online forums.  Which one (other than JoS) would you recommend? if you want to impress Microsoft and improve your software development skills.... and something that offers high quality conversation...

I love JoS but would like to see more like this.......

justCurious
Tuesday, June 08, 2004

justCurious

The Microsoft Usenet forums are busy, but good. Also look for local user groups; there will be some in your area.

Finally, INETA (www.ineta.org) is a good place too.

Raj Chaudhuri
Tuesday, June 08, 2004

> I know I am very very very good at my work, but yet, when I look back, I see my main skill set has been Visual Basic.

One thing I've learned about judging the ability of others is that those who are the most verbose in their abilities usually have the most to learn.  Double that when talking about VB devs.

You've asked A LOT of questions in this forum.  Someone at the calibur you claim to be would be a little better at finding information on his own.

Socrates once said:

"One thing only I know, and that is I know nothing"

acm
Tuesday, June 08, 2004

I must thank everyone here for their valuable inputs. Thanks, Chris for such nice words.

A very special thanks to Raj Choudhri for such an inspiration. I got a mixed reaction to this post on other boards. Your post was the doze of encouragement I was probably seeking. And especially so because you're already working there.

For other online groups, these are the other groups that I usually post to, and you might find them worth your interest:

(1) Visual Basic Forums - the chit chat section for general topics
http://www.vbforums.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=7

(2) Code Guru Forums - the chit chat section
http://www.codeguru.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=22

(3) Channel9 Forums - The CoffeeHouse
http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=15

(4) Usenet - the relevant group
http://groups.google.com

(5) Open IT - thanks to Bored Bystander for this link. Its a nice forum.
http://p087.ezboard.com/bopenitforum

(6) Got Dot Net forums - Off topic section for general chit chat.
http://gotdotnet.com/Community/MessageBoard/MessageBoard.aspx?ID=212

But to be honest, I haven't found a forum better than JoS because of the quality of discussions here and the opinions offered by people who are a lot more knowledgeable and opinionated than I've found elsewhere.

Sathyaish Chakravarthy
Tuesday, June 08, 2004

acm,

Get your basics right. I've never claimed to be a rocket scientist. I said that I was good at my work and that I'll say again. I am darn good at doing my work. Asking too many questions isn't anything more than an indicator of curiosity. If I were too shy trying to pretend the charlatan that you think I claim to be, I'd conceal my ignorance and not post questions here. I ask because I do not know, and I wish to learn. In fact, if you've ready any of my posts carefully, I've always maintained a level of modesty. And not all the posts I make are questions. I guess you got an axe to grind. Go to google groups and search for "Joel Spolsky" and see how many links that returns. See how many of them are questions he asked. As per you then, Joel also would be a deluded, ignorant mortal unaware of his intellectual debility?

Sathyaish Chakravarthy
Tuesday, June 08, 2004

Sathyashish

You're welcome. Now go and make that application :-)

Acm has a point. I often resort to verbosity when I don't know something. And I am, unashamedly, a VB "programmer". I do have a lot to learn. He's spot on.

But, acm, I don't think that's necesarily a bad thing. I feel *everyone* has a lot to learn. In being verbose, I can at least communicate what I don't know effectively. And that has helped me a lot. I think my approach compares favourably with someone who *thought* she knew a lot, and was cryptic in her communications, especially in a team environment (Someone who possibly is a C++/Java prog^H^H^H^Hdeveloper).

BTW, Sathyashish, I don't work with Microsoft any more. After you get what you want, you tend to want other things. I now want to not work for anyone.

Excelsior.

Raj Chaudhuri
Tuesday, June 08, 2004

Yeah, I never wanted to, but I realized I was being a bit rude. I am sorry, acm. I do realize I have a lot to learn and that is the reason I post questions here. By no means do I consider myself any more learned than a student amoung a group of teachers when I come here.

And about my age, I forgot to answer that, I am 28 years old. I was born in 1976, on the 11th of August. So by August this year, I'd have completed 28 years.

Sathyaish Chakravarthy
Tuesday, June 08, 2004

I like what Chris Wells said above about giving yourself credit for the things you are good at.  There's more to software dev. than saying "I can write complex code in a plethora of 'prestigious' languages."

However, be cautious when putting people/things on pedestals.  You're building up an enormous mountain underneath your goal, and you may be surprised to find that it wasn't what you expected when you do finally reach the summit.

MS is a company, and like any company, they have a variety of people working for them.  Some of those people will be extremely intelligent and pleasurable to work with.  Others will not.

Anyway, if your heart is set, then you'd better at least try, or else you'll regret it down the road ;)

Joe
Tuesday, June 08, 2004

"I thought I must be worthy of applying first."
"The people at Microsoft are really smart."

The people at MS are not as smart as you think they are. I've met plenty who are just regular people, struggling to understand their own products.

non fan-boy
Tuesday, June 08, 2004

Dude, I hope you get a job at MS ... you could write documentation for them ... that was really too good.

me
Tuesday, June 08, 2004

Sathyaish,

You're setting yourself up for a big disappointment. I don't care how good a company is, there's only so much you should expect from a job other than the salary. Of course there are good companies and bad companies (and Very Bad Companies), but a job can only be so great.

You really need to put things in perspective. You have a great supportive family, a nice girlfriend, and an inquisitive mind. These should be much greater sources of joy and purpose in your life than working for some company.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't apply to Microsoft, and I'm not saying that the job won't be good (I have no idea). But if you expect miracles and romanticise *anything* too much, you will find the reality underwhelming, and that will lead to a severe cycle of disillusionment and disgruntlement.

Anyway, good luck.

genius
Tuesday, June 08, 2004

Sathyaish, from reading your posts here at JOS, I would say your future is probably not in a regular dev job at Microsoft, but more some of specialist role, either with their consulting group or to do with English liaison with the rest of the world. (i.e. India to world.)

I don't think you would get that job just now, but you will in about two years time, after you've done more work, and become more comfortable with your contribution.

So good luck Sathyaish, and let us know when you get in.

Tuesday, June 08, 2004

Sathyaish, if you speak like you write, you won't stand a chance.  You seem to pick out "big words" and try to build your sentence around them.  It all comes across rather muddled in my opinion.

Tuesday, June 08, 2004

Actually I thought it was a rather nice narrative :)  Could use some grammar touch-up, but clearly the intent was to write an expression of emotion, not a cut and dry monosyllabic "That job should have been mine.  No fair."

Joe
Tuesday, June 08, 2004

> Sathyaish, if you speak like you write, you won't stand a chance.  You seem to pick out "big words" and try to build your sentence around them ..

This is a characteristic of Indian english. It's a sort of raj pomposity. But it's cool.

Tuesday, June 08, 2004

What of those whose language skill sets are matlab and good ole' K&R c?

Well, good luck man, and don't worry about coming off pompous and Indian.

dave hammond
Tuesday, June 08, 2004

>I am 28 years old. I was born in 1976, on the 11th of August. So by August this year, I'd have completed 28 years.

So was I, though I am exactly a year younger! Good luck with MS.

KayJay
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Thanks, Bill. I was thinking about what you said last night. I am going to try my best and leave the rest to God.
=================================

>Dude, I hope you get a job at MS ...
>you could write documentation for them ...
>that was really too good.

Thanks for the good wishes, but I'd love to write some code as well.

>Sathyaish, from reading your posts here at JOS,
>I would say your future is probably not in a
>regular dev job at Microsoft, but more some of
>specialist role, either with their consulting group
>or to do with English liaison with the rest of the
>world. (i.e. India to world.)

That is very flattering. I'd also love to do some hard core development and learn face-to-face from the much learned mentors there.

>I don't think you would get that job just now,
>but you will in about two years time, after
>you've done more work, and become more
>comfortable with your contribution.

:-( But I am going to try nevertheless.

>So good luck Sathyaish, and let us know when you get in.

I'll flood the whole world with the news, don't worry. :-)

>Sathyaish, if you speak like you write, you won't stand a chance. 

You should hear my stammer ;-). I am more often searching for the "right" word.

>You seem to pick out "big words" and try to build your
>sentence around them.

I am sorry for the wrong impression you've got. That's not true one bit. I am completely against that approach. However, there's one thing I agree with you about - I hate the way I write. I always feel I could've made my writing a bit more clearer and better. The differences you might notice in my posts are because sometimes the words don't surface to your outer mind, especially when you're multi-tasking. Yet there are times when you're composed, or pensive and you're able to say what you're precisely feeling.

>It all comes across rather muddled in my opinion.

Your criticism is welcome and much appreciated, because without it, I'd never improve. I don't disagree with you fully. There are so many places I can see I leak in that post. But I didn't edit it or even read it after I'd written it. Sometimes I do edit my posts before posting, but that's very rare. I have used words inappropriately at times and I am aware of that. But please discount that, I am not a native speaker.

>So was I, though I am exactly a
>year younger! Good luck with MS.

You mean you too were born on the 11th of August?

I do understand Microsoft is a huge company and not all the people I'd find there would be as interesting as I'd imagine. But one of the many things that excites me about working there is that you get to be a part of creating software that the whole world uses; that you're not simply working on a project that a client of yours wants implemented - you are creating technology, sometimes for other developers. I also hear that developers at Microsoft are lavished with all the tech-resources they need to do their job, whatever they cost. That just doesn't happen where I work, and I find it quite interesting. I have an insatiable yearning for knowing more and I believe I would have learnt a lot faster if I had a computer at home. I've had to stay back in the office or buy time at cyber cafes to practice or read the Web. If I had the resources on myself, I'd have been trying all sorts of stunts, downloading new software and learning more stuff. An incentive to want to work at Microsoft is that I read Microsofties are extremely well-paid. My friend who just joined Microsoft was offered a stupendous salary with a seemingly endless list of allowances. It seems you're even given an allowance for chilling out in case you feel burnt out because of the work. And there are stock options you get. The company takes real good care of its people.

Beside the money, if you watch the videos on Channel9, you'd notice the personalities that these people are. They have a celebrity status, and lots of inside information that no one else has - information that matter to the rest of the world. The co-worker who got selected was telling me, "Ah! Now no more JobsAhead and no more Monster. No more calling consultants. I am gonna tear my resume and delete the soft-copy from my computer." I wished I could say that to myself. Since he broke news, he's been idling around the office talking to everyone having a gala time here. I can imagine how he'd feel inside.

One regret I have is I never got to graduate with a degree in Computer Science. If my parents were informed enough and could afford it, I would have gotten one. I hate to be treated like a VB programmer. I hate it when they emphasise the qualifier programmer with a double quote just to show you down. That is another reason I want to do work for Microsoft and get to do some low-level stuff or may be get to be a part of a team that's developing the next best development tool.

When you read bloggers like Joel, Eric Lippert, Robert Scoble, Brad Abrams, they have so much to say that makes an impact on programmers' lives. I want to be a part of that brigade. Well, I know you're chuckling. May be not now. May be 10 years later, but I wanna be there.

How much ever one might criticize Microsoft and its products, columns in the MSDN, or any of their written material, the help files, the technical articles are all a joy to read. They're written for the lowest common denominator and serve the purpose of communication. They're not twisted or incomplete (sparing VC++ documentation). Whatever people might say, at least people like me, we thrive on Microsoft products and it'd be wrong to criticize them for little flaws they have.

And the few people from Microsoft that I've had first hand information about, mostly senior level types, are gems. They're extremely friendly, very jovial and warm - a perfect recipie for a mentor a programmer would love to work with.

I want to thank all of you for your encouragement.

Sathyaish Chakravarthy
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

What about working at Oracle? 

L. Ellison
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

I wouldn't be doing justice to myself because I've very little experience with Oracle. More importantly, my heart is there...One Microsoft Way.

BTW, are you really...?

Sathyaish Chakravarthy
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Better study up before you interview at Microsoft.

The first couple hours of the interview focus on the Cobra-Kai dojo and its significance to the modern world.

For example: How would you move the Cobra-Kai dojo to the top of Mount Fuji?

And: Why are the manholes outside the Cobra-Kai dojo round?

Also: How many golf balls does it take to fill the Cobra-Kai dojo?

And finally: How are the M&Ms in the vending machine at the Cobra-Kai dojo manufactured?

Bill Gates
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Also make sure you include 'So' as a conjunction and even use it in place of punctuations. For eg. "So, I decided to use a pointer to an array of pointer that contain pointers to the structs..so..it would be more performant over others..so.." Which leads to the next tip, methods are not effective. Tools are not efficient. Approaches are not desirable. They are all *Performant*. :-) <g/>

KayJay
Thursday, June 10, 2004

>Also make sure you include 'So' as a....

LOL! I dig that!

B-B-B-B-Bill!!! Are you making a very feeble, albiet hackneyed attempt to get my goat? Mercy, for heavens, mercy!

Sathyaish Chakravarthy
Thursday, June 10, 2004

No, that would be me, pal! <wink/><g/>

And yes, I was born on the 11th of Sugust as well!

KayJay
Thursday, June 10, 2004

No, I don't want your goat. You probably need it for milk and stuff.

Bill Gates
Thursday, June 10, 2004

"You really need to put things in perspective. You have a great supportive family, a nice girlfriend, and an inquisitive mind."

If you express anything close to the passion you express for Microsoft towards your girlfriend, I'm sure she's a very happy lady.

If not, you should consider it :).

Jim Rankin
Thursday, June 10, 2004

Yes, I am very uxorious by nature and have a predominantly devotional temperament towards her. But I have to put a full stop sometimes or she wont lemme do any work.

Sathyaish Chakravarthy
Thursday, June 10, 2004

Microsoft does not want people that know EVERYTHING!
they want people that know a bit, and can learn in the process of working for them. If you pay attention, and learn more about MS, you will know alot of the expectations that they want... I don't remember them wanting einstein in their company, do you?

Steven
Thursday, June 10, 2004

Nope, I didn't mean that either. What I did mean was that the people there are really cool. They are real _people_ and that they know how to look through the superficial and spot talent. And then they know how to nurture talent. And they're the best of breed managers working there.

Look at Chris Sells, he's such a wonderful guy. You lighten up the moment you look at him. Read his write-ups and columns and you doubly lighten up.

Look at Joel! I won't say more. You're gonna get addicted.

The list is long, and you get the point.

Sathyaish Chakravarthy
Thursday, June 10, 2004

You wanna work for Microsoft?

Read the book, "The art and science of bullshitting big time."

Why the hell do you wanna work for MS? Money? low salary there? prestige? here in America people call MS folks royal pain in the you know where.

Live your life dude and be careful what you wish for. Travel to Seattle and meet bunch of Microsoft programmers, you'd be amazed how one-track-minded, dull life those guys are leading.

You wanna make a difference, do it on your own, build your own don't worked your behind off for someone else's dream.

Cosmo Kramer should be the president of the United States
Friday, June 11, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home