Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

.Net assemblies and ASP.Net Web Forms

Okay, I understand the process that a single web form goes through from the browser access to the final output code.  But how do the User Controls fit into this?

Why I'm asking:

I registered a User Control that I wrote on a web form.  Then, on the src file of the web form (I'm not using VS.Net here), I want to access that same control.  Problem is, I get compilation errors because the user control's namespace isn't recognized.

So, when does the User Control actually get loaded?  Does the code-behind file get compiled first, and then the actual webform containing the Register directive that loads the User Control.  How do I get around this?  Do I have to compile my controls to DLLs now? 

rick
Monday, January 13, 2003

Ha!  Just kidding... I did some reading about VS.Net and saw that it internally builds an assembly with the code-behind files.  I did that, and now it's working. 

rick
Monday, January 13, 2003

Yes you should compile your user contorl first and kepp that DLL in bin directory then register the control on your Web Page. Then you will be able to access that control in your codebehind Page

Kapil
Tuesday, January 21, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home