Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

How to get started

I recently got a copy of Visual Studio.NET through the university, because I needed some version of Visual C++ in which to host the Intel compiler to try to vectorise some software a friend used.

I'm inordinately impressed by the C# form-building tools: I'm not quite sure why I find them so much more impressive than Visual Basic, I think it's that I like the way they produce C# code to create the form, rather than an opaque binary forms file.

But reading the documentation is like drinking from a fire-hose; I want to ask such naive questions that the search gives me back 500 results for all of them.

So: can people recommend a good book for someone first encountering visual development with C# - a tutorial, not a reference manual?

Tom Womack
Tuesday, November 19, 2002

Well, I like Jesse Liberty's PROGRAMMING C# (O'Reilly) though it concentrates on the language rather than the visual aspects.

Mike Gunderloy

programming microsoft windows with c# by petzold will give a good solid introduction to winforms development. he focuses more on building the forms by hand rather than with the wizards just as he did in his previous programming windows books. pretty much every control is covered in detail.

8)

sean slavin

Be cautious about the Petzold book. It should be called "2D Graphics in Windows" -- all fine stuff, but it rambles on for chapter after chapter about DrawString, DrawEllipse and "aren't my algorithms for drawing spirals clever"-type stuff, and then much later in the book pretty much skims all of the "real" controls.

There's absolutely no mention of data-binding (BindingContext, BindingManager etc) which is a big opportunity missed.

Duncan Smart

True, but I do find with Petzold that he gives an excellent grounding in the basics.
So much so, that you can figure out any related topics on your own, with a little grey matter!

I agree he doesn't cover any 3D or the more "advanced" controls, but the book is supposed to be a comprehensive introduction to WinForms using C# code (rather than wizards).

In my opinion, he succeeds.

Jon Deeming
Wednesday, November 20, 2002

For the complete neophyte I'd recommend 'Windows Forms Programming With C#' by Erik Brown from Manning.  While not a C# book per se it'll get a newbie going. 

http://www.manning.com/eebrown

Greg Kellerman
Thursday, November 21, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home