Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

ASP.Net: what is really going on?

I've been having some compiler errors when writing ASP.Net pages in C# (MSKB article http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q318274&). 

While trying to troubleshoot this, I've come to realize there is a lot of stuff happening behind the scenes.  Is there somewhere I can go for a good explanation on what exactly is happening, and what permissions I need to set to everything to get it to work right?

rick
Thursday, November 07, 2002

Are you getting these errors when a page is requested? If so, are the errors from C# code that's in the .aspx file itself or are you having your .aspx.cs files compiled at request time (as opposed to creating an assembly and putting it in the webapp's "bin" directory)?

If you have code in your .aspx file itself, I'd recommend having little to no "scriptlet" code in the .aspx file. MS has done a good job (finally!) of allowing logic to be separated from the presentation/layout.

If you are having .aspx.cs files compiled at request time, you might try creating an assembly instead. That's working very well for me - VS.NET handles those minutae fairly well, including debugging the code-behind files.

FWIW...

Donnie

Donnie Hale
Friday, November 08, 2002

I've tried using .cs source files and dll assemblies, but it always seems like it's a file permissions problem.  I ended up giving the ASPNET user access to the csc compiler and everything is working.

Then, I wanted to enable Windows authentication, and things went haywire again.  I've since given up on that idea for now until I can figure out exactly what ASP.Net is doing.

rick
Tuesday, November 12, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home