Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

.NET 2003 IDE Slow

I am working on a project where we have both ASP.NET & Classic ASP development going on at the same time.

I figured out how to debug Classic ASP pages in the Visual Studio 2003 IDE, therefore, I have scrapped Interdev and use the .NET 2003 IDE for everything.

The problem I have run into recently is that some of the Classic ASP pages that I have inherited are pretty big with 4000+ lines of code in them. When I open such pages in the .NET 2003 IDE it is really slow trying to type, save or do anything. It seems like a pre-compliler or some syntax checker is constantly running causing the experiences to be so slow.

Does anyone know how to modify project settings in the .NET 2003 IDE to stop and make the experience quicker?

Genx'er
Tuesday, June 21, 2005

I experience a similar problem. When you change the WinForm component's ids, it would do this long pause--I am guessing that's not right either.

Li-fan Chen
Wednesday, June 22, 2005

If you have line wrap turned out, try turning it off (Ctrl+R twice).

Alternatively, upgrade to Whidbey Beta 2...

Chris Nahr
Wednesday, June 22, 2005

"If you have line wrap turned out, try turning it off (Ctrl+R twice).

Alternatively, upgrade to Whidbey Beta 2..."

Thanks for the suggestion but turning Line Wrap off did not help.

and upgrading to Whidbey Beta 2 is not an option right now.

Any other ideas?

Genx'er
Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Try playing around with the VS.NET options settings, i.e. uncheck alot of the editor options. 

Just Me
Thursday, June 23, 2005

I've found hard drive speed and amount of RAM to be the most important aspects in VS.NET IDE perforamance, IME.

Richard P
Friday, June 24, 2005

I am running 1 gig of DDR 400MHz PC2300 ram, and no I don't even use desktop backgrounds. All the memory are belong to VS.NET.

Drive? 120 gig Seagate, no slouch but no RAID either.

Li-fan Chen
Sunday, June 26, 2005

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home