Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

Why there are so few MCADs??

hello guys,
Last week i passed the 070-320 exam( xml webservice & server component). In prev week i passed 70-315 & 70-316. Now i hope to be 1 of the charter MCAD of microsoft.

Those exams were not that much tough. Any1 who has 3/4 months working experience in .NET can pass the exam.

As far as i know there are around 600/700 MCADs around the world.
My ques is ain't the number is too low??

Weird
Friday, November 01, 2002

As of mid-September, there were only about 350 MCADs (see http://www.mcpmag.com/news/article.asp?EditorialsID=529 for some numbers). Why? Well, a few things to consider:

1) Relatively new credential (the 310 and 320 exams have not been live for long)

2) Next to no training materials available yet, and most people won't risk $100 on a certification exam without a prep guide or other training

3) Developers don't see any compelling reason to upgrade their existing MCSD to a lower-level MCAD, and the exams to get the new MCSD don't all exist yet

Mike Gunderloy
Saturday, November 02, 2002

I think the XML Web Service exam is really going to prevent people from jumping on that certification.  Not too many people are doing serious remoting and COM+.  Microsoft obviously feels that any application developer should be concerned with XML Web Services because that's where they see the industry going, but that exam has made me timid, and I know that stuff. 

As for resources, I am teaching course 2310 this week which would prepare you wonderfully for the exam, and microsoft also has four courses on components and XML Web Services out there too. 

I need to cowboy up and take that exam soon so I can also be an MCAD.

Philip Scott
Wednesday, November 06, 2002

The Microsoft certifications are such a joke, maybe that's why?

Not to rain on your parade, but what does an MCAD certification really mean?  Does it demonstrate your mastery of .NET?  Hardly, it merely means that you were able to get better than 70% on a multiple choice quiz where all the answers were staring you in the face.

Now, on the other hand, if you received something tangible such as a yearlong subscription to MSDN (I’d settle for the Standard subscription) it might be worth the money to take the tests.

As it stands, you win a certificate, a wallet card and a lapel pin.  Big Whoopee!

Guy Incognito, CBS ABC NBC
Wednesday, November 06, 2002

I agree that certification is not a demonstation of depth of programming skill.  But I think it does a good job of demonstating breadth of skill.  VB is used in many different ways, and it is possible to work with it for many years and still have never compiled a DLL or written an ActiveX control.  The certification process forces a developer to get a fundamental understanding of the aspects of the language that his or her job does not require. 

Microsoft established certification to be a verification of expertise.  It isn't.  Only professional accomplishment can do that.  Still I think it is a great way to be sure you have a broad understanding of the capabilities of the language.

Ran
Monday, November 11, 2002

Hmm...  I never thought of it that way, but I guess I do agree on that.  So basically a Microsoft certification means, your qualified to work in the marketing department at Microsoft.  :)

Guy Incognito, MVP DOA
Monday, November 11, 2002

I have to agree with Ran on this one !

I am a contract developer and decided to take some time off to study .Net, one big problem, what exactly do I study ?

I took the view that it was better to follow some curriculum, i.e. those for the .NET exams, than read somewhat randomly.

I have read much more widely and covered many more subjects than I would have by reading the books that took my fancy.

If I get a certificate, something different to plonk on my CV and a lapel badge then I'll take it ! At least I can be pretty sure I have a good overall understanding as to what's going on in the world of .Net....

Andrew Heys
Tuesday, November 12, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home