Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

.Net newbie

VB Programmer for years. How do I move to .Net? Do I have to?

Shane Carmichael
Friday, June 10, 2005

JFDI

Friday, June 10, 2005
Friday, June 10, 2005

+1 JFDI

!
Friday, June 10, 2005

+1 JFDI

> How do I move to .NET?
I took two months to go off-line and read/work through Francisco Balena's Programming Microsoft Visual Basic .NET.  If you're weak on object orientation, this will take longer.

> Do I have to?
Only if your job requires it.  From a strictly technology point of view, however, I find VB.NET far superior to VB6.  After 18 months with VB.NET I had to go back to VB6 for a small project and it felt bad, wrong, and broken.

Joe Paradise
Friday, June 10, 2005

To get OOP right I had to go through Python. It's implementation of OO makes things simpler and then I hadn't a hard time familiarizing with C#.

Lorenzo

Lorenzo Bolognini
Friday, June 10, 2005

Yeah, just buy a book and get in it.  Or look for a class syllabus online and do the assignments.  Seriously, I don't know if I could go back to vb6 after .net.  The improvements from a dev point of view are just too much. 

grover
Friday, June 10, 2005

Ditto to what Joe and grover said.  I can't imagine going back.

A good starting point is Craig Utley's _The programmer's introduction to Visual Basic.NET_, which covers a lot of the differences between VB6 and VB .NET.  I've also had good luck with the _VB .NET Developer's Handbook_.

Other than that, just write stuff with it.  You won't learn it all in a day anyway.  You'll probably start out writing very VB6-ish stuff which will gradually morph into a .NET-ish idiom as you get more used to it.

Check your local library for VB .NET books before you go throwing a lot of money around on them.

Kyralessa
Friday, June 10, 2005

Hi,

Try this book "Database programming using vb.net and sql server 2000"

(Secrets of developing an accounting package revealed)

Your learning curve will be smooth.

Bhar

bhar
Friday, June 17, 2005

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home